Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Ode to oldncranky1 - My AR10 finally shoots MOA groups!! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

-

As some of you may know, I've toiled for quite some time with this Mega Maten AR10 build attempting to achieve 1 MOA or less at 100 yards. Today I believe that I can officially declare victory!

Months ago Mark (oldncranky1) impressed upon me the importance of cleaning not just the carbon but also the copper out of the M1 Garand barrel we were playing with. He even took the time to show me how to do it proper. I applied what I had learned to my AR10 barrel recently.

I believe that between proper, thorough cleaning of the AR10 barrel and discovering through trial and error that it prefers a heavier bullet, I've found a recipe to achieve MOA groups with my AR10. I am very happy!

EDIT: I forgot to give props to jukk0u for the excellent spotting job, encouragement and the AAR conducted over a three course Pho meal he so graciously treated me to.

BUILD:
Mega Maten AR10 (.308)

BARREL:
Mega Arms .308 Barrel 18” Mid Length Gas .750 Block Journal 1:10 Twist

AMMO:
Federal .308 175gr. Sierra Match King BTHP

DISTANCE:
100 Yards

Last edited by old11bravo on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oldandcranky1 wrote:
Factory or reloads?

These were the factory bought.

If the factory ammo groups have tightened up like this I'm pretty excited about running our next batch of hand rolled loads! The groups will undoubtedly get even tighter.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That will do nicely!

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! That's great. It's nice to be able to wipe away the tears of frustration and emerge victorious. Good going. Nice to have good people around to help you. And Jukk too I suppose.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hell yeah! It's nice to have confidence in the rifle and the shooter. Now you can focus on the reloads, and getting the groups the best they can be.

What's your setup for getting video of the target? I assume you're taking it through the spotting scope. The quality is good, and it's nice to be able to hear you, the rifle action, etc. as it's happening. Very cool.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Nice to have good people around to help you. And Jukk too I suppose.

:cussing:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good video. That group looks like maybe a slight shift in eye placement behind the scope, basically sight picture might be causing the vertical difference in the 2 mini groups. Very good shooting nonetheless. Fun to watch.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Good video. That group looks like maybe a slight shift in eye placement behind the scope, basically sight picture might be causing the vertical difference in the 2 mini groups. Very good shooting nonetheless. Fun to watch.

Ron is a little vain and has refused to go to the eye doctor for glasses. He likes to use the paralax adjustment as a focus adjustment despite guidance to the contrary. Could this be what you are observing?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:

Actually I had made some adjustments to the elevation and windage knobs but by the looks of the second group I may have over shot the elevation UP by one click and the windage LEFT by one click.

jukk0u wrote:
Ron is a little vain and has refused to go to the eye doctor for glasses. He likes to use the paralax adjustment as a focus adjustment despite guidance to the contrary. Could this be what you are observing?

Who is vain? All you wanted me to record video of was you shaking your butt for brass!

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Hell yeah! It's nice to have confidence in the rifle and the shooter. Now you can focus on the reloads, and getting the groups the best they can be.

What's your setup for getting video of the target? I assume you're taking it through the spotting scope. The quality is good, and it's nice to be able to hear you, the rifle action, etc. as it's happening. Very cool.

Thanks Steve!

I bought a cheesy little scope mount adapter for an Iphone a long time ago so that I could connect my phone to my friends spotting scope but it wouldn't fit his scope so it sat in my range bag until I just about forgot about it. Then I picked up a sweet little deal on this Vanguard 20-60x80 spotting scope package and I remembered the mount when we were shooting yesterday. It worked nicely. May need a little more stability than I'm currently getting out of my tripod but it worked to demonstrate the shot groups and the sequence of the shots.

I didn't realize it then but if you listen close, you can actually hear the trigger reset after each shot.

I didn't post this video because I was still messing with the camera set up but I decided to post it because I believe that Jim actually shot the best group of the day with this set of five rounds at the top right red diamond.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]