Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Big frame psa ar 308 or 6.5 
FFL / Dealer

Title pretty much sums it up . I do not currently shoot either caliber and I will likely be using the platform for medium range -700 yard deer maybe elk sized game. But it will be mostly a range toy as I mostly bow hunt.

Last edited by The509busman on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Is ammo cost a big deal? If there are times where you dont care if groups are mega small go 308, you can buy surplus military ammo at those times. 6.5 if you dont care about cost, its flatter and.kicks the wind better

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:45 pm
FFL / Dealer

Ammo is a consideration. I am thinking maybe get 308 then buy or build a 6.5 upper later? F class if I ever thought to try that would mean 308 until stepping up to unlimited?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any idea as to the terminal balistics needed for a 700 yard shot, does 6.5 do OK? And what external balistics do you need (accuracy) to make that shot?

I'm toying with getting a 6.5 ar10 from PSA too. the 308 seems to be hit and miss review wise. 6.5 seems great from the single review I've seen...

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm
FFL / Dealer

I am unsure of terminal stats I will say I have drug an elk that was downed at 550 yards with a 308 that made a great wound channel and dropped the critter with no issues ( except the need to call for help getting it out lol) all I have done is read on 6.5 and it seems to be the “ hot “ “ it cartridge “ of the day. My rifle hunting friends like their 308s and swear only thing better is magnums . But again I am mostly a bow hunter beating wa state political panic purchases for future “ some day “ hunts

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:16 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I suggest enjoying the lower receiver that can accommodate both calibers and don’t sweat the choice between either. Both with do fine taking big game such as elk.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The PSA .308 Win and 6.5 CM uppers are both compatible with their AR-10 lowers, so just get one lower and two different uppers (complete with the appropriate BCGs). The lowers they sell as AR-65 are just marked that way for people who are OCD about matching things; they're the same as the .308 lowers.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 pm
FFL / Dealer

I have all but decided on 308 . Last question does psa usually have a Presidents’ Day sale?

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the .308 PSA AR-10 set up. Awesome really - and this makes the super low price just a maga (MEGA) extra bonus.

Yes, will watch for 6.5 Blem/super specials from PSA. When I started this quest, I was trying to find out which lower and upper would work together. There is a thread somewhere here.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The509busman wrote:
Last question does psa usually have a Presidents’ Day sale?

Yes. And a Monday sale, and a Tuesday sale, and a Wednesday sale....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
The509busman wrote:
Last question does psa usually have a Presidents’ Day sale?

Yes. And a Monday sale, and a Tuesday sale, and a Wednesday sale....

And a HERE TAKE MY MONEY SALE!!

What is a bit more rare are the no see 'em blem/2nd sales - which I never actually have seen the blemish.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The509busman wrote:
I am unsure of terminal stats I will say I have drug an elk that was downed at 550 yards with a 308 that made a great wound channel and dropped the critter with no issues ( except the need to call for help getting it out lol) all I have done is read on 6.5 and it seems to be the “ hot “ “ it cartridge “ of the day. My rifle hunting friends like their 308s and swear only thing better is magnums . But again I am mostly a bow hunter beating wa state political panic purchases for future “ some day “ hunts

Well for 700 yards, 308 and 6.5 are both solidly still supersonic with the right cartridge. Terminal I think are likely fine with both, but I'm sure there's a lot more experience with 308 out there.

The reason I ask about external balistics is because I've seen reviews of the PSA stuff that have groupings indicating 2 to 3 MOA in the worst cases. That would be at worst 21" group at 700, with no wind. With wind, 308 can move around a LOT, 41" of drift in a 10mph wind.

6.5 would have the advantage of cutting down on the wind and lower recoil though.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:44 am

PinSniper wrote:
The509busman wrote:

Well for 700 yards, 308 and 6.5 are both solidly still supersonic with the right cartridge. Terminal I think are likely fine with both, but I'm sure there's a lot more experience with 308 out there.

The reason I ask about external balistics is because I've seen reviews of the PSA stuff that have groupings indicating 2 to 3 MOA in the worst cases. That would be at worst 21" group at 700, with no wind. With wind, 308 can move around a LOT, 41" of drift in a 10mph wind.

6.5 would have the advantage of cutting down on the wind and lower recoil though.

And that right there is why I can't get myself to come off my wallet for a PSA anything.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
PinSniper wrote:
The509busman wrote:

And that right there is why I can't get myself to come off my wallet for a PSA anything.

People buy a $650 PSA AR-10 and expect to shoot well at 700 yards? I just find that just a tad lofty expectation. Mine is just fine at 200 and that's not what I bought it for anyway.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
PinSniper wrote:
The509busman wrote:

Depends on what you need it for. And that's my point. I think if you were paying money to make 700 yard shots on animals... I would want to nail down the expected accuracy from the platform and the required accuracy for the task at hand.

That being said, I do love PSA, do you know of any AR-10s off-the-shelf with guaranteeed sub-moa accuracy? I'm damn sure almost all PSA AR-10s are better than the M&P10, by simple virtue they all have free float handguards. Heck, my bolt action was about 1.2 moa until the barrel started coming good. I agree, I wouldn't buy a PSA AR10 in 6.5 until I saw more examples shooting sub-moa. The thing is, it's just not a well reviewed product (not many reviews, not necessarily reviewed poorly).

The ONLY review from someone I trust, was getting about .8MOA out of the PA-65. I'm absolutely interested, but I need more data points before I sink money into another platform.

The bad reviews for the 308 model... well,, they weren't long range shooters. It would surprise me if they could shoot sub moa with any gun. Just not enough data.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next