Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 $500 scope for a 308 ar 
FFL / Dealer

Title says it all. It is a continuation of my psa 308 ar discussion what would you all recommend for a mid priced scope. I have roughly $500 to spend. I am looking for a scope that can definitely not limit me or the psa ar rifle as well as help me learn and grow as a long range shooter.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SWFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:28 pm
FFL / Dealer

RocketScott wrote:
SWFA

^^^ has 1,000,000 different scopes , but yes swfa and primary arms both have great deals

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The509busman wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
SWFA

^^^ has 1,000,000 different scopes , but yes swfa and primary arms both have great deals

No, I think he meant the SWFA SS scope line. I'd suggest the fixed 6x or 10x, or the 3-9x HD SS. Any of those will do what the OP is looking for. The 3-9x is a bit over your $500 at normal retail, but catch them when they're on sale for $400-450.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm. How much wiggle room do you have? Also, are you a retired military, active military, law enforcement, etc?
US Optics is coming out with their new TS-6x and TS-8x optics. I’m buying a TS-8x for sure for my PTR-91

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a swfa ss 10x or 12x I forget at the moment, but..... Man it's a nice piece of glass.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Purpose and ranges?

If going for precision rifle stuff, I'd go with the athlon 6-24x with the MIL reticle.

However, that's pretty heavy, and I think you said you wanted to hunt? In which case a BDC style reticle might be better and a low power somewhere around 3x is more desirable?

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP is a very good scope for <$400. Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50 FFP would be better but is out of your price range.

I have both and for the price and warranty, they can't be beat.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

take a look at the primary arms 4-14 FFP. under 300. They just changed the product names recently. I have 2 of them on ar10's.
Here's one model: https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at the Nikon M-308 with BDC. 399.95 on sale at midway with free shipping.

Check out this review for AR-10 scopes: https://thegunzone.com/best-scope-ar-10 ... le_Reviews

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This all super depends on context. Do you want capped turrets or not?

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:37 pm
FFL / Dealer

All good questions, this will be very helpful thank you all.
So I do want target turrets , That is about the only solid answer. As far as former service no, I was damaged goods ( bad neck injury screws and pins permanently in my neck not a real issue but a disqualification none the less)
Intended use will be my place holder that I can use to accuratly test different rifles and such. I am not above swapping it out later as the rifle defines more of a role. It is hard to define when I am not sure what I want to do with this piece. I checked out the swfa ss the 16x is on sale for 399 that’s a good deal to me, and would allow me room for solid mounts and more magazines lol.
Thanks again, keep firing ideas my way I appreciate it.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm
FFL / Dealer

I don’t know the quality, but Natchez has a nice looking Burris Mtac on sale.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd agree 100% here. I just got one of these, and it's actually pretty good. My only real complaint is no zero stop, but it is only $399. I also have an Athlon Argos 6x24x50 but I really don't think the illumination is necessary, but it's really a close call. Illuminated or not.

BlDtyLry wrote:
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP is a very good scope for <$400. Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50 FFP would be better but is out of your price range.

I have both and for the price and warranty, they can't be beat.

NRA Range Safety Officer
Good guy with a gun

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The509busman wrote:
All good questions, this will be very helpful thank you all.
So I do want target turrets

Well the question is if you want capped turrets. By capped, I mean not exposed, zero it, set it, cap it, forget it. Then rely on the reticle to do any hold overs, typically some kind of BDC reticle like the ACSS reticle.

The benefit to capped is your not making further calculations during your shooting experience and if you are out hunting, hiking or some kind of defensive situation, you know because the turrets are capped, they won't have been knocked out of zero.

With a "tactical" reticle and exposed turrets, you'd keep a chart with you noting what turret settings are good for what distances and conditions etc and recheck before firing aka "DOPE" card.

The worst experience, IMHO is the combo of exposed turrets with a BDC reticle. It's the worst of both worlds.

Either way, you have chosen a reasonable budget. You have good options in Athlon and Vortex delivering good bang for buck with a lifetime warranty.

If it was me, if I knew the 308 AR wasn't SUPER accurate, I don't think a 24x max power is that useful. I'd be tempted to keep things a little lighter, not bother with precision tactical reticles, go BDC with capped turrets. There's also much lower learning curve to using a BDC reticle.

1-8x powers are becoming more common but are not often with reticles good for 308 loads. I'm a BIG fan of ACSS. Vortex's bdc reticle is useful, but provides less information and seems more cluttered to me.

https://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Rifle-Scopes

I'm a big fan of 1-8x with a BDC. ACSS being the best. Only down side... I don't think PA have an unlimited warranty like vortex.

You just missed out on this vortex and mount combo for $289 https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex- ... mount.html

That being said, it's unclear to me if the BDC on the vortex is good for 308 like the ACSS is... I guess it should be the same.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next