Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Red Dot "Meteor Tail" - Astigmatism 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
How old are you?
If you are over 40 it's almost a sure thing you need glasses.

Good news!

It'll be a whole year before you need glasses!

:ROFLMAO:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe stick to shotgunning

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:

Yeah I should probably just give away all my guns. Anybody want them?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

Yeah I should probably just give away all my guns. Anybody want them?

Flamethrowers are legal....

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you're trying to hit something very small at 200+ yards, that comet shoudn't be a big deal IMO.
CQB red dots are marketed up to 7 mils in size. A 2 mil dot with a comet will still allow you to place fairly accurate shots (at least center mass) on big targets at close ranges (even up to 200 yards, I'd wager.)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:37 pm

I also have astigmatism and have this issue with my Aimpoint and Primary Arms red dots. I find that turning my red dot down in brightness and focusing more on the target than the dot solves it. Also, wearing polarized glasses makes the starburst go away entirely.

Also, at my last range trip to the WCA North range, the fella in the lane next to me let me pop a few rounds through his tricked out competition AR, and he had a Holosun HS510C mounted on it. It had the crispest reticle I've ever seen! No blurriness (which is what I see when I look through Eotechs), and no starburst at all.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:31 pm

PMC wrote:
I also have astigmatism and have this issue with my Aimpoint and Primary Arms red dots. I find that turning my red dot down in brightness and focusing more on the target than the dot solves it. Also, wearing polarized glasses makes the starburst go away entirely.

Also, at my last range trip to the WCA North range, the fella in the lane next to me let me pop a few rounds through his tricked out competition AR, and he had a Holosun HS510C mounted on it. It had the crispest reticle I've ever seen! No blurriness (which is what I see when I look through Eotechs), and no starburst at all.

I too have an astigmatism. I got tired of seeing the comet (or sometimes the dot looked like a peanut). Got rid of all my red dots in favor of mostly TA33 Acogs. Shot my buddy’s AR 9 pistol today with a Holosun HS510c. No blur or distortion of the dot. Of course, I was wearing my polarized fishing sunglasses (Smiths chromapop lenses) because we were shooting in the snow and it was bright. I’m actually impressed with that red dot.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 pm

Red dots always look like a grain of rice to me, eotechs are horrible for me. I think I need to do to a different eye dr cus glasses dont help it.

Can you get non tinted polarized lenses?

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Red dots always look like a grain of rice to me, eotechs are horrible for me. I think I need to do to a different eye dr cus glasses dont help it.

You may have irregular/mixed astigmatism or higher order abberations, which are not as correctable via lenses.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stop trying to focus on your front sight or the red dot and you won't have an actual problem.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Stop trying to focus on your front sight or the red dot and you won't have an actual problem.

Exactly. Binden Aiming Concept. This is what BAC represents.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AK with open sights. Generally fuzzy "groups", matches my generally fuzzy vision.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The daily shooter just did a video on this very subject.
https://youtu.be/R4efcFVQdag

NRA Range Safety Officer
Good guy with a gun

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:

Nope, polarization filters by their very nature filter out any incoming light with a polarization perpendicular to the current orientation of the lens. They aren't re-orienting the light, so you can't have a polarizing filter that doesn't reduce transmitted light.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2