Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 School me in suppressors! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being from CA, I'd thought I'd never get one, so I think it's time to take the plunge at owning a suppressor. I realize the wait can be 6-12 months (Although average seems to be around 9 months). I'm kinda leaning towards the SilencerCo Hybird46 since it's rated for multi-caliber use. I will also be moving in the summer (Within WA), will this be an issue while the suppressor is in ATF jail?

Are there brands you'd recommend or stay away from?
What's the best way to file my form? File as individual or trust?
Use the SilencerCo Kiosk/App?
Pistons?
Most, if not all the barrels I have are 1/2 x 28 threaded.

Price limit: $800 (Excluding $200 ATF donation)
Calibers: .223/5.56/9mm/22LR (Maybe 300BO down the road)

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Moved to nfa section

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. I believe when you are filing your paperwork you're going to need a WA address/be a resident.

2. Silencer Shop Kiosk and Trust is the way to go. Very easy process.

3. Lots of choices for Silencers right now. SiCo Hybrid is a good choice for anything up to .46 caliber if you want one can to do it all. Dead Air is still running a special and you can get the Ghost for $399 + $200 tax stamp when you buy a Dead Air silencer. With Dead Air's deal you start the NFA process for the free silencer immediately vs. SiCo's deal where you have to wait for them to make your free silencer first.

4. What ever Make/Model you choose I highly recommend sticking with the Omega-style threading. This will allow you to run an adapter like Dead Air's Key-Mo or Q's Plan B to mount their QD brake/FH. IMO Dead Air has the best QD mount out there.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trusts are less advantageous than they used to be since now you still have to supply photos and prints. However, they are still worth it IMO IF you bite the bullet and get a good trust. You can add beneficiaries that can access the suppressor without you present (huge for me since I want my wife to be able to use our HD 300blks), and it provides an easy avenue for transferring the suppressor(s) when you pass. My opinion, ymmv.

I really like the versatility of my SiCo Hybrid. It has suppressed the daylights out of my 300blk ARs, 9mm Scorpion, and 458 SOCOM AR. I dont know of any 556 rated 9mm cans, but if you can find one, I would go with that over the Hybrid (assuming you dont have plans to suppress anything larger than 9mm). The Hybrid is overly large and very heavy on a 9mm pistol. It is built to suppress anything under 45-70 GOV but is overbuilt for anything you don't shoulder.

Also, it's discussed in TW's suppressor thread, but super sonic ammo will always give you the sonic crack of ~130db+. Nothing can change that. Suppressing 556 is...disappointing IMO. I still use earpro with suppressed 556.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are the primary guns you plan on using it on?

Trying to get one can to do everything isn't a good idea for the reasons listed above. Currently I have a 30 caliber rifle can and a 9mm pistol can that's also rated for 300blk subsonic. Some would argue that a .45 can is more versatile but I only have a few .45s. Going with the 9mm pistol can just made more sense to me.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

RocketScott wrote:

Trying to get one can to do everything isn't a good idea...

Agreed. I mean, you can do it, but it's far from ideal.

I have a Hybrid and I love it for rifle use. I use it for my .45-70, and I'll soon be using it for 458 SOCOM, and it's fine for .308-type stuff too. But, I never put it on my regular handguns because it's large and heavy; I'll always use a pistol suppressor instead. You'll feel the same way with a .22, you don't generally want a big heavy suppressor on there.

I get it, maybe you can't or don't want to buy a whole bunch of suppressors right up front. So yeah, maybe the Hybrid is a good starting point. But I doubt it'll be the last one you buy. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kinda of a quick hijack as I'm interested in this as well. Along the lines of multiple... Can you buy more then one per form or is it one per?

Member:
2nd Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Firearms Policy Coalition
Silent Majority Foundation
NRA

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One per form/tax stamp.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

Trying to get one can to do everything isn't a good idea for the reasons listed above. Currently I have a 30 caliber rifle can and a 9mm pistol can that's also rated for 300blk subsonic. Some would argue that a .45 can is more versatile but I only have a few .45s. Going with the 9mm pistol can just made more sense to me.

Mainly my P80s (Glock 9mm builds), G17, and one of my ARs (chambered in 556/223) for now.

Is it better to stick with a suppressor for each caliber?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:48 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you only plan to buy one suppressor now, then sure, the Hybrid is a decent choice. It will work.

In the long run, for those guns I’d be looking at a rifle can (like the Hybrid) for the AR, a short and light can (I have an Omega 9K that’s nice, there are others out there) for the 9mm handguns, and a .22 can for any .22 firearms.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d highly suggest buying a 30 cal can (for rifles) a pistol can (omega 9k or 45 can) and a 22 can. That will cover pretty much everything. I’ve talked to others who have gone the hybrid route and they weren’t too happy as it’s such a massive can to put on pistols. Also you don’t want to put 22 through anything but a user serviceable can. I just bought a switchback for a 22 can and I’m happy with my visits at the range with it.

If you’re just going to buy one can now I guarantee you’ll buy another so maybe pick one that you would use the most out of the 3 then get the next later on. As another person said silencershop is running a deal on the ghost-m for $399 if you buy a dead air can from them. I’d buy the nomad then get the ghost-m as well. You’re looking around $1200+ stamps but then you have one of the best 30 cal cans and a 45 can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should probably start with a good pistol can if the only rifle you have to suppress is the 5.56. The additional weight just for that one rifle won't be worth it given that the 5.56 doesn't suppress very well. Wait and get a 30 cal can for rifles later on. If you get the right pistol can it can be used for 300blk subs though

I have a griffin revolution 9 that I really like. It can be configured either full length or "K" (8 vs 5 baffles). I haven't shopped for cans recently so I'm not up on the newest hotness

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]