Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Shooting 200 yard steel with 22lr and 510 whisper. 

Had some more fun at the rifle range today. It took me eight years to talk my wife into shooting a rifle and she finally allowed me to bring her to the range after silencer use became legal in WA. She started out on a Savage MKII 22lr. Shooting it suppressed with subsonic ammo makes hardly any noise, and her double hearing protection keeps her from being bothered by unsuppressed fire at other benches.

At first she was happy just punching paper, then moved on to steel. Then she got tired of changing magazine every five rounds so I got her two ten round magazine. After a few thousand rounds she is now tired of cycling the bolt manually for each shot, so I built her a Ruger 10/22. I started out with a used rifle for about $200, put a decent quality heavy match grade barrel on it along with a medium quality scope and a sturdy mount. With a semi-auto she will probably triple the rate at which she goes through ammo. And now she is interested in the heavier stuff like 22 k-hornet. Whoa is me, I will have to load it for her until she decides she wants to do it herself if ever. :)

The first video is the 10/22 shot at an 18” plate 200 yards away. It takes about .6 seconds for the bullet to reach the plate and about .5 seconds for the sound to return. I was able to shoot 4 times before the noise of the first bullet made it back to the microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2hIJ5-lFK8

The second video is my TC encore in 510 whisper shooting 637 grain subsonic (the lightest load I have for it) at the same 200 yard steel plate. The video quality is good enough that the bullet can be seen descending from the 15 inch arc it makes on the way out and it moves the plate a bit as well as sounding much louder than the little 22lr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAjLe9GoNMo

Ranb

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

.510 whisper! That's what I shot at the Suppressor Shoot! God that was a nice rifle. Been bugging me for months!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's pretty cool, nice work!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That was really cool video! Yeah, I remember shooting that .510 Whisper too, and marveling at the size of the bullet. I think Ranb had 800-grain bullets that day...?

Ranb, the video makes it look like those .510 bullets drop right in front of the steel target. Is that true? Can you just walk out and pick them up?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:42 am

The bullet is about 15" high at 100 yards. From the vantage point of the camcorder it appears that the bullet is falling rather fast. I find lots of cores and jackets in the tire that captures bullet fragments.

Ranb

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember shooting that rifle also. I thought it hurt my shoulder a lot more than my ears. :)

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]