Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The process of getting an NFA Item 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cramer wrote:
Thanks for the info Randy, i wasn't having much luck on finding the guidelines for the engraving.

I've read some back and forth on engraving abreviation. For example: if the name is John Smith Gun Trust, you can shorten it to J. Smith Trust, or J. Smith Gun Trust. Others say it must match your trust document letter for letter.

My trust has my full name, I would like to only engrave the first letter to shorten it.

Any knowledge you can share on the subject?

Gee, now I want to register the "Fuck the BATFE Trust"

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
cramer wrote:
Thanks for the info Randy, i wasn't having much luck on finding the guidelines for the engraving.

I've read some back and forth on engraving abreviation. For example: if the name is John Smith Gun Trust, you can shorten it to J. Smith Trust, or J. Smith Gun Trust. Others say it must match your trust document letter for letter.

My trust has my full name, I would like to only engrave the first letter to shorten it.

Gee, now I want to register the "Fuck the BATFE Trust"

i would pay for your tax stamp if it came back approved with that as the trust name. not even joking. i would have to see the approved paperwork first for payment but would pay it.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oooh now I'm sorely tempted. Mainly because I do plan to build an SBR this year...

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Oooh now I'm sorely tempted. Mainly because I do plan to build an SBR this year...

Its all fun and games until you get an IRS audit. ;)

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

Mainly I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have a weapon that would be engraved with the name of a government agency, even in a mocking sense. I suppose I could just write the ATF and say "So, somebody offered to pay for my tax stamp if I used this crazy name for a trust. You guys have a problem with it? If not, can I get a picture of me posing with one of your agents holding the gun to show the lighter, happier side of the ATF?"

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:53 pm

cramer wrote:

Cramer everything I've always read says the firearm engraving needs to match the exact trust name on the ATF form. The trust name on the ATF form needs to match your actual trust name, word for word.

This is why most people give their name a very short and sweet name if they plan to own any SBR's. I have one trust that was my full name but ditched it and made another with a one word name (i.e. MY TRUST).

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forgot I asked that question in here, it's been so long! I should have updated it. I ended up engraving the entire trust name, everything I found stated the same Anthony. Luckily it's small text ;)

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
NWRed wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

Mainly I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have a weapon that would be engraved with the name of a government agency, even in a mocking sense. I suppose I could just write the ATF and say "So, somebody offered to pay for my tax stamp if I used this crazy name for a trust. You guys have a problem with it? If not, can I get a picture of me posing with one of your agents holding the gun to show the lighter, happier side of the ATF?"

There is a small niche collectors market for PD trade in firearms, plus there are millions of PD surplus handguns/rifles/shotguns that agencies have sold/traded in for new guns. I currently have an Atlanta PD marked M&P that was too cheap to pass up.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:

There is a small niche collectors market for PD trade in firearms, plus there are millions of PD surplus handguns/rifles/shotguns that agencies have sold/traded in for new guns. I currently have an Atlanta PD marked M&P that was too cheap to pass up.

I was really close to getting an Olympia PD marked gun when they changed issue guns a few years back, but my contact left before he could buy one. I've thought about collecting a few PD marked guns just for the interesting factor, it gives an interesting history to the gun.

Meanwhile, as far as the "Fuck the BATFE Trust" I'm still weighing my options. On one hand, free tax stamp. On the other, discretion. Or if the state allows profanity in a trust name. Things I'm all gonna check on once I get a couple free days.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:50 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

kf7mjf wrote:
. . . as far as the "Fuck the BATFE Trust" I'm still weighing my options. On one hand, free tax stamp. On the other, discretion. Or if the state allows profanity in a trust name. Things I'm all gonna check on once I get a couple free days.

First, legally change your name to Stupid Fuck.
Then get your Fuck ATF Trust (saves two letters when engraving).
:wavey:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:
. . . as far as the "Fuck the BATFE Trust" I'm still weighing my options. On one hand, free tax stamp. On the other, discretion. Or if the state allows profanity in a trust name. Things I'm all gonna check on once I get a couple free days.

First, legally change your name to Stupid Fuck.
Then get your Fuck ATF Trust (saves two letters when engraving).
:wavey:

But they might mistake me for a state employee with a name like that.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Good info..
Couple questions...
If going the trust route.. Is the "approval" time shorter than the individual?
And can you add or remove names to the trust as time goes on?
Once you have a trust can you buy an NFA iteam and walk out the door that day, or still have to send it for the stamp and wait?

Sun May 01, 2016 10:45 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the approval flows are the same, but I'm not positive about that.

Adding or removing names to/from your trust . . . yes, but the manner in which your trust is written will determine how difficult this is.

You still need to do the tax stamp thing, with the horrendous flows.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun May 01, 2016 11:01 am

mrproc1 wrote:
If going the trust route.. Is the "approval" time shorter than the individual?

I've actually heard from dealers both ways, and I think the best answer is this is the ATF NFA Branch and there is no logic behind approval times. Sometimes they are short, sometimes they are longer, it's honestly random. To me the question on which way to go (trust vs. individual) has nothing to do with wait times but more about sharing of NFA items and inheritance.

mrproc1 wrote:
And can you add or remove names to the trust as time goes on?

This completely depends on the trust you purchase. Some allows co-trustees, some don't. Pay attention and make sure the one you get allows co-trustees and allows that page of the trust to be edited at any time. Mine I can tear up the co-trustee page at any time and start a new one, no change the master trust document.

mrproc1 wrote:
Once you have a trust can you buy an NFA iteam and walk out the door that day, or still have to send it for the stamp and wait?

Wow, you did really buy into the "trust loophole". There is NO way for you to buy any NFA item and walk out he door with it the same day. Period, end of story. Always a paid stamp, and always a wait time.

Mon May 02, 2016 12:56 pm

kf7mjf wrote:
NWRed wrote:

I was really close to getting an Olympia PD marked gun when they changed issue guns a few years back, but my contact left before he could buy one. I've thought about collecting a few PD marked guns just for the interesting factor, it gives an interesting history to the gun.

Meanwhile, as far as the "Fuck the BATFE Trust" I'm still weighing my options. On one hand, free tax stamp. On the other, discretion. Or if the state allows profanity in a trust name. Things I'm all gonna check on once I get a couple free days.
Any updates?

Wed May 24, 2017 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next