Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The process of getting an NFA Item 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The process of getting an NFA item

Anyone who has bought an NFA item knows what to expect when getting a suppressor. This is for those who don't know what the process is... In a nutshell.

The Choice
Foremost, when getting a suppressor, you should figure out what you want to suppress. Most people get a .22 suppressor since it is easier, if not the best round, to suppress. Most "cans" are also multi-caliber which means that you can use one silencer on multiple "hosts" (firearms) for example; A .308 centerfire rifle suppressor can be used on a .223/5.56 rifle as long as you have the right mount. Some pistol suppressors can be used on smaller pistol calibers as long as you have the right mount as well. for example; Using a 45 suppressor on a 40s&w or 9mm pistol; or using a .22 suppressor on a pistol or rim-fire rifle. There are risks with using your can as a multi-caliber as well. Baffle strikes can occur if the bullet doesn't get fully stabilized as it exits the barrel. NEVER put a suppressor on a firearm that is rated for a smaller caliber. i.e.; Do not put a 9mm suppressor on a .45 etc. The bullet diameter of the .45 is much larger than the 9mm and the 9mm can will not be designed for a bullet of that size/pressure. Also, a .22 can will technically work with a .223/5.56, but is not recommended. A .22 suppressor is designed for the pressures of a .22. It may not hold up to the pressures of a .223.
For decibel (Db) reviews on how they sound on a few different hosts, click on the following link...
http://www.silencerforum.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Cost
The cost of getting a suppressor can range from as low as $299.99 up to $2999.99. Here are some MSRP for some suppressors...(these are the suggested retail price from the MFR. your dealer could have them for cheaper but it is not guaranteed.) These do not include tax and the $200 NFA stamp.

AAC:
.22 element: $595
.22 prodigy: $495
5.56 m4-2000:$1050
.30 7.62-sd: $850

Gem-tech:
.22 alpine:$425
.22 g5-22: $495
9mm multimount: $595
45acp blackslide: $740
5.56 halo: $900
.30 sandstorm: $1175

SWR:
.22 spectre: $495
9mm trident: $595
45acp H.E.M.S. 2:$745
5.56 wolverine: $695
.30 omega 30: $795

Silencerco:
.22 stainless steel sparrow: $ 499
osprey:
9mm: $849
40s&w: $849.99
45acp:$849.95

Liberty Suppressors:
.22 kodiak: $485
9mm mystic: $750
5.56 constitution: $545
.30 freedom: $830

C3 Defense
.22 Clandestine: $199

There are many more, but those are some of the more popular and well reviewed.

Thread Pitch
The industry standard on thread pitch (tpi or turns per inch) in the United States are pretty easy but since there are European weapons on the market (H&K) they use a metric thread pitch. Those will be indicated in bold

Pistol:
.22lr-1/2x28 tpi
9mm-1/2x28 13.5x1LH
40/10mm-9/16x24 14.5x1LH
45ACP-.578x28 16x1LH USP45/RH MK23

Rifle:
5.56/.223-1/2x28
7.62/.308 (including .338)-5/8x24 18x1

The Purchase
After you pick out the suppressor you want to get, you need to decide if you want to put the suppressor on a trust, corporation or do an individual form 4 transfer.

There are pros and cons to each one of these.
With a trust or corp., you have the ability to "loan" out your suppressor to anyone who is a member on your trust or corporation. The downside is that the trust or corporation, also called an entity, owns the suppressor not you. With the new changes (41F) to corporation and trust purchases, the following will have to be met to be able to submit a form 4 or form 1. Passport style photographs and fingerprints will need to be taken of every responsible person listed on a trust or a corporation. The CLEO sign off has been eliminated but they still need to be notified of the form being submitted. This (CLEO notification) also applies to the individual forms.
With an Individual Form 4, the suppressor is in your name and you own it, CLEO notification, get two sets of fingerprints done and two passport style photos taken that are sent in to the BATFE.

Once you decide what kind of Form 4 you want to use (Trust, Corporation or Individual), that form 4 along with the information of the Trust, Corporation or Individual, is sent into the BATFE for processing. You will also send in a money order or personal check in the amount of $200 made out to the US Treasury Department (make sure that you write down the serial number on the check or money order so you can go back for reference).

The BATFE process can take anywhere from 2-12 months (most commonly it takes 120 days for paper forms) or even longer before you can take physical possession of the suppressor (the FFL in which you purchased it will retain it until the approval arrives). You do have the ability to check the status of your tax stamp issuance by calling the ATF at, 1-304-616-4500. That # will take you to the NFA branch. When calling, you will need the serial number of your suppressor and the name of the Trust, Corporation or if you filed as an individual, you will give your name. The best time to do this is in the morning around 9:30-10am pacific time. The time frame in which you should check the status would be about three weeks after the ATF cashes your check (it takes about a week from when it is sent off from your dealer to reach the ATF).

Once the ATF approves your Form 4, they will send it back to the dealer you bought you suppressor from. If your dealer is on the ball, they will call you the day your form comes back. At that point, its as simple as going down, filling out a 4473 (firearms transfer that doesn't need to be called in) and taking your new suppressor home or to the range to have some quiet time.

Last edited by dj_fatstyles on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:41 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

:YMAPPLAUSE:

You rock.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a great post - informational and full of good tips.

Thank you! Must read for those interested in getting a "can".

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! That's exactly the information I'm after as I get ready to purchase my first suppressor.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks so much for the info I wasn't quite sure which form to fill out to begin the process!!! Can't wait for July when there legal!!! :ymparty:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:38 pm
Profile WWW

Awesome post. Thanks Dj_fatstyles.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bump for the new law!

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dj_fatstyles wrote:
The BATFE process can take anywhere from 2-6 months

Convincing you wife you really need one can take even longer \:d/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great read. thanks for the info...now i need to find someone to buy my kidney to fund this whole thing

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this info. It's stuff like this that makes me want to donate to the forum.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blaze.45 wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this info. It's stuff like this that makes me want to donate to the forum.

so what are you waiting for????

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

steble01 wrote:
Blaze.45 wrote:

so what are you waiting for????

There was no wait, I put a drop in the bucket before I posted that. :)

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blaze.45 wrote:
There was no wait, I donated before I posted that. :)

:YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:21 pm
Profile WWW

So filling out the Form 4 and paying $200 for the tax stamp is this a process that has to be repeated each time you want to purchase additional suppressors?

Lee

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nodott wrote:
So filling out the Form 4 and paying $200 for the tax stamp is this a process that has to be repeated each time you want to purchase additional suppressors?

Lee

each and every time. :angryfire:

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next