Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 New to and interested in the suppressor/silencer market 

Greetings,

I know that this may seem like a lazy post but when there is too much information and not enough information at the same time. It's hard to know where to turn.
I don't want to come across as a noob but, really, I am.

I am interested in learning about the suppressor/silencer market and the suppressor/silencer process.

There are so many different companies out there that have products available. And I see that there are a few battles between this company and that company. Which is really understandable.
Deadair, Q, Knights, SilencerCo, Surefire... The list goes on and on. Trash Pandas vs Wolfmen? (That's funny.) Hopefully, you can understand my plight.

As an individual that's just getting into this market and interested in trying to make some purchases (We will see what this "administration" does.)
Really, what's the process that I should look at?
Where should I go to read about products? Is there even really a good source to read from or is it all just conjecture or is there a reliable resource with significant information?

I'm interested in keeping my products simple and straightforward.
My platforms consist of 308, 7.62x39, 5.56, 9mm, 40SW & 45acp.

When I start diving down this rabbit hole and trying to follow Alice, what really should I look for?
Can I get one or two products and have them interchangeable between the different platforms?
If I start to branch out from a good base of products and work within my platforms and look at upgrading from there.
Of course, there is the saying, "buy once; cry once".

I hope someone can help me out here. I really want to get into longer-range marksmanship. But, it would be fun to have stuff for the 9 and 5.56/22lr.

Thank you for your time. And at least reading.

Have a great day.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:46 am

It's also tough being a kid in a candy store with too many options and not being able to actually make up your mind on what to get.
I don't want to spend several years researching and never getting a product base on information overload.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:52 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

For those calibers, you can go with one suppressor for it all such as an Omega 36M or get two suppressors. One in .30 cal and one in .45 cal. I have a OSS 7.62 that covers all my .30 cal and 5.56 and a Rugged Obsidian 45 that covers all the pistol calibers I have which are primarily 9mm and 45. It would work for my 10mm if I had a 10mm host.

You can use my link below and then click on HOW TO BUY for a rundown on how to buy a suppressor.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One .30 Cal can will cover all these, 7.62x39, 5.56. One .45 can will do these. 9mm, 40SW & 45acp.

The easiest choice is to use https://nwgunlawgroup.com/gun-trusts/. Then use a Silencer shop Kiosk at a local FFL

https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/pistol.html

The Rugged Obsidian comes to mind for you Pistol needs, and the Silencer Co Omega for the rifles.

Member "dreadi" of Blackhamer Arms here can help you out.

https://www.blackhammerarms.com

He beat me to it. :ROFLMAO:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dvmonavin wrote:
Where should I go to read about products? Is there even really a good source to read from or is it all just conjecture or is there a reliable resource with significant information?

Give Pew Science a look. He's just starting out but has some really good data points - https://pewscience.com/rankings

dvmonavin wrote:

The advice that other's have given has been good - 308 suppressor to cover 308, 7.62x39, 5.56 and 45 suppressor to cover 9mm, 40SW & 45acp. I'd also recommend getting a dedicated 22lr suppressor as it's a pretty dirty round as you mentioned the caliber later in your post.

dvmonavin wrote:
When I start diving down this rabbit hole and trying to follow Alice, what really should I look for?

Just remember numbers aren't everything. Tone definitely plays a part in the overall sound. Also determine what you're going to use it for - ultimate suppression or maneuverability as the quietest cans tend to be the longest. Also, keep in mind barrel restrictions. This can be a pain if you have a wide variety of barrel lengths in your centerfire rifle calibers.

dvmonavin wrote:
Can I get one or two products and have them interchangeable between the different platforms?

Yes. you can go either direct thread or use interchangeable muzzle brakes

dvmonavin wrote:
I really want to get into longer-range marksmanship. But, it would be fun to have stuff for the 9 and 5.56/22lr.

Longer range marksmanship usually leans towards lighter cans as it minimizes POI shift but not required. What you really want is consistency and know it will impact the same spot every time you mount the can back on.

Based on what I see, looks like the Dead Air Nomad is a good candidate for your rifle can.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

token3495 wrote:
dvmonavin wrote:

The advice that other's have given has been good - 308 suppressor to cover 308, 7.62x39, 5.56 and 45 suppressor to cover 9mm, 40SW & 45acp. I'd also recommend getting a dedicated 22lr suppressor as it's a pretty dirty round as you mentioned the caliber later in your post.

:plusone:

To add a few points:

- I'm less worried about performance than I used to be. So yeah, I'm fine shooting .223 through a .308 suppressor even though I might be sacrifing a dB here or there. I'm also fine shooting 9mm through a .45. For many semi-auto guns at least, I'm still wearing earpro when shooting suppressed, so getting the best of the best performance just isn't that important.

- I've discovered that I really don't love big, heavy suppressors on pistols. I'd recommend something small and light. Again, if you lose a dB or three, who cares.

- Yes, definitely get a .22 suppressor.

- I've bought suppressors and I've built my own . . . and I'm now a big fan of buying suppressors. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
token3495 wrote:
dvmonavin wrote:

:plusone:

- I've bought suppressors and I've built my own . . . and I'm now a big fan of buying suppressors. :bigsmile:

This....

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Following because I’m in a similar position.

I should get my first .22 can out of jail in like a year. I’m looking for the next one.

I was thinking that size and then performance would be the top considerations over utility. Since all of my pistol hosts are 9mm except for one 10mm I was looking at the CGS Mod-9. It gets solid reviews and is smaller and lighter than a .45 can. My .45 and other 10mm pistols would require new barrels.

But it sounds like the Obsidian.45 is highly regarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:31 pm

chich627 wrote:

I should get my first .22 can out of jail in like a year. I’m looking for the next one.

I was thinking that size and then performance would be the top considerations over utility. Since all of my pistol hosts are 9mm except for one 10mm I was looking at the CGS Mod-9. It gets solid reviews and is smaller and lighter than a .45 can. My .45 and other 10mm pistols would require new barrels.

The Rugged Obsidian 45 is a good suppressor. I have one. However, depending on what a person may or may not want in features or potential aspects to deal with, SilencerCo Omega 45K is also a comparable option.

The case is this, Rugged’s Obsidian 9 and 45 has the Adapt module which aso you to make the unit shorter. Well that part can also come loose, and if the main body comes loose as well you’ll get baffle strikes and have to send the whole deal into Rugged for service. Omegas 9K and 45K are both fully welded and can’t be made shorter. The 9K is already shorter than the 45K. Also, the 45K is rated for 300 blk out Subs and Supers. 9K and Rugged 45 are rated for 300blk subs, not supers.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Type 07 Class 2 NFA Dealer
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chich627 wrote:

The Rugged Obsidian 9 and the CGS Mod 9 are basically the top selling 9mm pistol suppressors for Capital Armory here locally.
I have both the Rugged Obsidian 9 and CGS Mod 9. For maintenance, the nod goes to Obsidian with the combination of stainless and titanium. Easy to drop the baffles into an ultrasonic cleaner.

For balance and weight while shooting the nod definitely goes to the Mod 9. The Mod 9 balances very well on the end of our 9mm pistol hosts (HK VP9, FN509 Tactical, Glock 45 MOS). I've gravitated to balance and weight as the most important criteria and work around the maintenance issues with Aluminum baffles by using soda blasting (this is also the technique recommended by CGS).

Note that CGS also makes the Nautilus in 45 caliber. I'm planning to buy just one 45 caliber pistol can and have a Nautilus in jail now at Capital Armory.

I've come to believe that modular cans are highly overrated in general. Other folks on the forum may have very different opinions on this.

On the rimfire front, we have a Tactical Solutions Axiom, a CGS Siren carbon fibre suppressor, and a Q El Camino. Ease of maintenance goes to the Axiom. Balance and weight goes to the El Camino and the CGS Siren. The El Camino is a very nice suppressor with a great combination of light weight and also stainless and titanium construction for ease of maintenance. A great combo coming in at around 4.3 oz.

The CGS Siren gets top marks for all around coolness and materials engineering. Insanely light at something like 2.3 ounces. The carbon fiber is awesome.

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How much money are you willing to spend? Are you going to buy multiple silencers at once or spread it out? This would be my choices in order if one at a time.

1. SilencerCo Hybrid 46 will do it all (9mm-45acp, 223rem-45-70govt, except 22lr). Not great but a good multi-platform and caliber
2. Rugged Obsidian 45 (45-cal) for pistol calibers from 22lr to 45acp.
3. Dead Air Nomad L (30-cal) - I believe this is the quietest out there for rifles. Up to 300WM.
4. Dead Air Wolfman (30-cal) for pistol, pcc, and light semi-auto rifle and bolt-guns. 9mm to 350 Legend. Can use wipes.
5. Dead Air Sandman S (30-cal) for semi-auto rifle calibers. Full-auto rated up to 300WM with no barrel length restrictions.
6. Dead Air Mask (22-cal) - for rimfires. I have a SilencerCo Spectre II but the Mask is a better choice.

I have #1-3, 5 and waiting to add #4. I also own several others but if I were to just start the above would be my order of preference. If buying all at once then I would skip #1 and choose from the above list based on usage requirements.

For long-range accuracy Thunder Beast Arms Ultra series is the top choice in the competition world for both accuracy and sound suppression. I have the 338 Ultra and it is amazing.

You should also decide which rifle QD mounting system you are going to consolidate to. I highly recommend the Dead Air Key-Mount.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best all around bang for your buck is the current Yhm cans, can’t be beat,

Has the 1 3/8” mounting options, so not only stuck to the Yhm setup.

Although the Yhm kurz kit and mini takes off some weight, length and looks better.

Stop thinking about it and just get one going, cause you’ll be back for more

I’d say 30 cal can first and a rimfire can. Then add on what you need

Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:06 am

Much good advice above. I use a .308 on my 223 and 22lr rifles. I weighed the can and can chemically clean it if it gains weight from the 22lr. I would go with thread on cans only. They tend to be less expensive and you don't need the same adaptor for every host as threads are rather standard for most guns; 1/2-28 for 22 cal, 5/8-24 for .308 etc.

I have found that is it very important to check the can tight on the muzzle threads after the first magazine is dumped. My Ar-10 and AR-15 will heat up the rear end cap and cause the silencer to loosen. But tightening it again once will keep it in place. Failure to do so can result in baffle strikes.

Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mustangfreek wrote:
Best all around bang for your buck is the current Yhm cans, can’t be beat,

Has the 1 3/8” mounting options, so not only stuck to the Yhm setup.

Although the Yhm kurz kit and mini takes off some weight, length and looks better.

Stop thinking about it and just get one going, cause you’ll be back for more

I’d say 30 cal can first and a rimfire can. Then add on what you need
The 1 3/8" (1.375")x24TPI threaded suppressors give you a huge range of mounting options. In addition to YHM, adapters and muzzle devices are available from Silencerco, Dead Air, Griffin, Area 419, Energetic Armament and others I can't think of right now. Of course, in most of those cases, the muzzle device and adapter need to be from the same manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]