Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Meeting with Rep Jinkins on SBR bill 

Rix86 and I met with Representative Jinkins this morning. We were scheduled for 10:00 to 10:15, but she ran ten minutes long on the meeting prior to ours and we took up at least 20 minutes of her time. She was in no hurry to get rid of us; that was her aide’s job. :) To make a long story short Ms. Jinkins said she had no intention of giving HB1561 a hearing prior to the meeting, but she is willing to consider it as a result of the meeting. This is why we need to talk to our Representatives guys and gals.

Her main concern was that this bill practically affects very few people (based on the support it is getting now I’d agree) and it allows more access to more kinds of guns. She has also not heard a thing from the police on the bill. This is why she is not committed to scheduling it for a hearing at this time.

We discussed how the bill merely brings state law into line with federal law, the requirements for obtaining ATF authorization to make or buy an SBR and the low (nearly non-existent) crime rate associated with them. We explained that everyone with a rifle and a hacksaw has ready access to a contraband SBR, but it is still very rare that anyone is willing to use SBR’s to commit a violent crime. We also discussed the reasons why SBR’s were banned in 1994 and I gave her copies of Judge Appelwick’s letters. I also gave her copies of WACOPS e-mail expressing their support and a synopsis of the 1994 bill banning SBR’s.

Right now she plans on limiting the House Judiciary Committee to hearing two gun bills; the background check bill and the safe storage bill. We discussed both bills briefly; I told her why I felt the background check bill/initiative would fail. I was not prepared to discuss the safe storage bill other than to say that if I was the parent of a teenager and concerned enough to ask his/her friend’s parents about how they secured their guns I would indeed ask. And if they took offense to my asking then I would need to get better friends.

Representative Jinkins asked me to provide her with the following data. I need help with this.

1. SBR crime rate data from other states.
2. Opinions of gun control groups such as Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility, Cease Fire WA and others.

What we also need is for any police officers who are interested in seeing restrictions on SBR’s eased to contact Representative Jinkins by phone, mail or e-mail. It is extremely important that we get some sort of police support for this.
If anyone here knows anyone at WACOPS, please ask them to contact Jinkins office and tell her why they need HB1561 to pass. Thanks.

Randy Bragge
ranb40@yahoo.com
(360) 440-5889

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm contacting who I can to try to help

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Randy! I plan on meeting with a few reps on the 17th when Moms Demand Action schedule them for me (I am going as a troll).

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Massivedesign wrote:
Thanks Randy! I plan on meeting with a few reps on the 17th when Moms Demand Action schedule them for me (I am going as a troll).

Why can't these moms get any action? Are they grotesque?

Massivedesign wrote:

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk

CHECK OUT OUR NEW ESTORE
WE can take credit cards plus 3%
I AM AN FFL/NFA DEALER. EVERYTHING I SELL HAS PAPERWORK REQUIRED AND I AM FORCED TO CHARGE SALES TAX

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What safe storage bill?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:19 am

ANZAC wrote:
What safe storage bill?

This one. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1676

Quote:
Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person is guilty of reckless endangerment if the person stores or leaves a loaded firearm in a location where the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a child is likely to gain access, and a child obtains possession of the loaded firearm.

Randy

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

They had this bill last year and it died in Judiciary I think.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
Judiciary* - 1/28/2014 1:30 p.m.

House Full Committee
House Hearing Rm A
John L. O'Brien Building
Olympia, WA

Public Hearing:

HI 591 - Protect our gun rights. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HI 594 - Gun sales background check. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1561 - Concerning short-barreled rifles.

Finding the John L. O'Brien BLDG at the Capital Campus is easy. Take the 14th Avenue SE exit from I-5 and drive west, follow the signs until you see the Capital Dome. I park out in the street to the east of the Campus, be careful not to get a parking ticket.

Show up early to sign in and ask to speak. No need to dress fancy; clean neat clothes with a suitable shave and haircut are all you need. If you speak, don't say anything you can't prove unless you make it clear it is only your opinion. One of the worst things a person can do it get emotional about an inanimate object (guns). Be short, sweet and to the point. The first few people to speak might say everything that you wanted to bring up, that is okay. It happened to me at the silencer use bill hearing when Brian Wurst spoke.

Randy

Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:06 pm

HB 1561 attached very little attention but the dozen people that signed in were all pro, no cons at all. The next step is Jinkins scheduling the bill for an executive hearing where the committee will vote whether or not to kill it or pass it along to the Rules Committee.

Please write to the committee members. Thank them for attending the hearing and request that they vote to pass the bill along at the executive hearing. Thank the co-sponsors in the committee for signing onto the bill.

Here are the House Judiciary Committee members.

Jinkins, Laurie (D) Chair She schedules bills for hearings
Hansen, Drew (D) Vice Chair
Rodne, Jay (R)
Nealey, Terry (R) HB1561 co-sponsor
Goodman, Roger (D) HB1561 co-sponsor
Haler, Larry (R)
Kirby, Steve (D) HB1561 co-sponsor
Klippert, Brad (R) HB1561 co-sponsor
Muri, Dick (R)
Orwall, Tina (D)
Roberts, Mary Helen (D) HB1561 co-sponsor
Shea, Matt (R) HB1561 co-sponsor
Walkinshaw, Brady (D)

It may be better to skip writing to Jinkins and let the prime sponsor talk her into scheduling the bill for the executive hearing.

There are changes to the membership since last session, so we no longer have 7 of 13 members as co-sponsors. If all of the members are in attendance during the executive hearing, then we only need one additional member to vote for the bill to send it along with a pass recommendation.

Randy

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

So the people know what the addresses are:

laurie.jinkins@leg.wa.gov
drew.hansen@leg.wa.gov
jay.rodne@leg.wa.gov
terry.nealey@leg.wa.gov
roger.goodman@leg.wa.gov
larry.haler@leg.wa.gov
steve.kirby@leg.wa.gov
brad.klippert@leg.wa.gov
dick.muri@leg.wa.gov
tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov
maryhelen.roberts@leg.wa.gov
matt.shea@leg.wa.gov
brady.walkinshaw@leg.wa.gov

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 pm
Profile WWW

Outstanding that you all are on this! Keep us posted and we'll do our part as well.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]