Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Value QD can 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking to get a suppressor that can be used on a variety of platforms, so I'm looking to go QD. I don't want to spend a ton, but I don't want to buy junk. I had originally considered the Kestrel 556, so I could go rimfire/centerfire, but I'm now thinking I'd like a can that I could throw on an AR, my PS90, and perhaps even my .308 (assuming I can find a .30 caliber can without breaking the bank).
Does anyone know a QD can that is good, but also affordable? I've been looking at the Silencerco Specwar and the YHM Phantom, but I am open to any brand.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So with many platforms... you may not be able to get one that fits all.

Threading or how you attach the "can" to your firearm is going to be the key.

A QD (quick detach) is one option. Going with a 7.62 can is best overall for what you are thinking.

Typical cost for a 7.62 (30 caliber) can is around $1400-$1800 and then you'll need to buy the mounts (adapter... aka muzzle brake adapter).

If you are looking at shooting .22 (a lot of it) you may want to reconsider and get a dedicated .22 (for lead build up). You'll want something you can take a part. Most 30 caliber cans are not meant to be taken apart by the end user.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am waiting on my 7.62 Specwar. From the research I did it seems like the best value out there. Plus the can comes with one mount.

Sent from my Motorola Flip phone.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
If you are looking at shooting .22 (a lot of it) you may want to reconsider and get a dedicated .22 (for lead build up). You'll want something you can take a part. Most 30 caliber cans are not meant to be taken apart by the end user.

My original thought was to be able to suppress rimfire, but a dedicated rimfire suppressor is cheap enough, and a 7.62 can will take care of the rest.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is the best way to go.

By getting a dedicated .22 can... most likely you can clean it yourself (take it apart) depending on what model.

By not shooting .22 in a 7.62 can - the danger is overshooting .22 to the point the lead melts and collects in the can. Most often it can be shot out with shooting 7.62 (30 caliber) but buildup of that kind in some models are dangerous and may be a bad idea.

Mounts typically cost $60-130 each. Some may need an adapter from your barrel threading to the one that will mate with the muzzle mount (depends on the gun).

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

do yourself a favor and don't shoot .22 out of a sealed centerfire can. i shoot a couple boxes through my 9mm can (liberty mystic) and it's so nasty inside and so gunked up i have a hard time getting it apart. plus i've had 3 baffle strikes. get a strike on a sealed can and you likely permanently ruined your can. NOT worth it.

i just paid $1179 OTD including tax stamp for an SDN6 from Chip at Cascade arsenal. he also does your trust for you and efiles. i highly recommend him.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just wanted to add that Liberty fixed all 3 strikes for free and even replaced the core the 2nd time because they had an improved design, not because they couldn't repair it. The 3rd time i sent it in they recoated the sleeve too for free. Great company. FWIW, only the first strike was my fault and all 3 were using .22 ammo out of a 9mm can. YMMV.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Gemtech HVT QD. The mounts are easy to deal with, and nothing comes loose. Place the can on the mount, twist until the ears meat with the can, pull back, 1/4 turn, and the can is seated. About $1,000 with can, sales tax, and stamp. Flashhiders are phanton or vortex style, and they run about $100 a pop.

I've run a few rounds of .22LR through it, maybe 100, but considering the exit hole is 0.375", something would have to be pretty messed up for a baffle strike.

Works great with my .223/5.56 rifles, as well as the 6.8 and .300 BO.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I recall, you can get a Silencerco Osprey in .45 acp and run it on just about everything.
They even had a video of shooting 308 win out of it, at one point can't find it now.
Their design allows for interchangeable adaptors for mounting.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

H2obouget wrote:
If I recall, you can get a Silencerco Osprey in .45 acp and run it on just about everything.
They even had a video of shooting 308 win out of it, at one point can't find it now.
Their design allows for interchangeable adaptors for mounting.

According to what I see, it is rated for 9mm-.45 ACP and .300 Blk subsonic. If it really can run with 5.56 and/or .308, I'd love to get one, since my USPCT could use a good suppressor, too, but I don't want to destroy a large investment.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the osprey isnt rated for centerfire rifle (except for the 300BO) go with the specwar and you wont be disappointed.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found the video...it's not from Silencerco.
I stand corrected. He says 308 caliber, and he was shooting an AR. I thought it was an AR10. Looking closer it is is an AR15,and he has to be shooting 300 blk.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]