Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 New Suppressor Design on market... OSS 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OSS - Operators Suppressor System

New design for suppressors (instead of using baffles).

Some unique features folks might be interested in... reduced blow back pressure and maintaining timing on semi-auto bolt (reducing violent extraction of your firearm design).
Only sticks out an additional 0.63" (unless you attach their SRM).

5.56 and 7.62

http://www.oss-online.com

Attachment:
HK-MR556A1-SD.jpg

Major components:
BPR - Back Pressure Regulator
Screws on the muzzle of the barrel, replacing the standard flash hider.

SRM - Signature Reducation Module
Screws onto the front of the BPR and further suppresses.

Cost: projected to be about 40-90% higher than regular high end baffle system designs.

I have not seen this before. Very interesting.
From the looks of it and how it sounds in the sense of watching the video - it's more of redirecting and using the muzzle energy and dissperse rather than try to control and force it (baffle designs).

I guess there are variants specifically for SBR. The design covers the barrel so you'll need a free float type handguard so the housing of the suppressor can go back. So that is not the typical extension of a regular suppressor design (stick out front).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:13 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

That was an EXCELLENT video... Really nice to see a knowledgeable expert in the field shed some light on some things that newbies like me might not have ever noticed.

Thanks for posting this.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so what's the cost of this? no mention on the website, I say near the price of a suppressor.

interesting design

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cost:

So, from what I understand... if you are looking for a 7.62 can... you are looking around $800-$1500+ for a tradional baffle design. The range reflects the many different manufacturer's of 7.62 designs.

For this think around $1600-$2100? MRSP? Just a projection...

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am

these guys have been bouncing around this design for some years now.

this design is primarily concerned with reducing backpressure. this comes at the expense of sound suppression.

there is nothing to be gained by the modular design, since you still have to pay tax stamps for the components. you'll end up paying as much for a multi caliber setup as you would for multiple traditional suppressors, which will be much quieter than the OSS anyway.

the timing and backpressure issues are only concerns for people with full auto. if you don't have a FA weapon then it's pretty pointless.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have shot this can, it is quiter than any can I have seen before and zero blowback.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tagged

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usagi wrote:
the timing and backpressure issues are only concerns for people with full auto. if you don't have a FA weapon then it's pretty pointless.

I would disagree. The backpressure is annoying. I will live with mine but it does blow back right into your face (on a rifle).

Since all the regular designs of suppressors has the backpressure issue... it's not talked about.

I did not realize that was an issue when I looked at buying my suppressor. It's not since almost all do it. But now there is an option that with this new design you don't have to have that pressure in your face.

No I don't have full auto (FA).

I guess I presented this as to show that there is a new design coming up and more to choose from. No it won't appeal to the masses but for those that want the latest and newest technology... and are willing to pay for it... might be interested.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 am

i dont get gassed by mine. but then i have an AR gas vent on my 556.

on my 300blk, gas blowback it is not a problem at all. the larger bore and lower pressures make it a non issue.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:54 pm

The video claims 26 decibel reduction as measured at the shooter's ear. I can adjust my gas systems to reduce blow back and bolt speed on my semi-autos although it does nothing for blow back through the chamber. I would need to shoot it to have an opinion.

Their website claims to have developed the world's first and only modular silencer. I've seen other modular silencers so I think their claim is not true.
http://sonicsilencers.com/technical-specifications/

Ranb

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:05 pm

they have also claimed zero poi shift which is not possible. attach anything to your barrel and you change the harmonics. the only way it can have zero poi shift is if it weighs zero. when challenged on that point, they did a silly song and dance trying to redefine what poi shift meant.

and yes, they are not the worlds first modular silencer. despite their claims.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]