Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Usefulness of a Suppressed .22? 

Ok guys, I don;t know if this has been posted here before, but I just wanted to gather some opinions and start a good discussion about this.

I was in the Discount Gun Sales store over in Everett, and they had a .22 Copy of the full-size service handgun(It was a SIG I believe). It came with a threaded barrel, and it was only $299. They also had a few Suppressors in stock, and one was for .22's, and its pricing was reasonable at $349(I don't know if that is a "Good" price, but It seemed good.).

For many years, my Dad has been infatuated with Suppressed .22's, whether it be a rifle, or handgun. He likes the thought of being able to shoot on the property, and not have to travel to a range. The Nearest Range is over 15 miles away. and it costs $12 or more to get in.

Subsonic .22 LR is roughly $20 a brick(500 Rounds).

And just to point it out, I don't intend on buying Suppressors for 9mm, .45, .223, .308, etc. I just want to shoot .22 LR for now.

So my main question is: Are Suppressors and the guns to go with them a good and Usable investment, or would I just be wasting my money & time?

Thanks for your Thoughts!

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:34 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

FMJ 911 wrote:
So my main question is: Are Suppressors and the guns to go with them a good and Usable investment, or would I just be wasting my money & time?

By "investment" do you mean something that will make you money down the road when you re-sell them? If so, I'd say the answer is "no" for just about any gun except those lucky few that become collector's items.

But if you're asking if a suppressor will be effective, and if you'll enjoy it, then that's a different story . . . and probably one that only you can answer. Some folks (*cough* dj_fatstyles *cough*) are fanatical about their suppressors, so obviously they are getting every penny's worth out of their "investment."

Other folks . . . well, have different interests, and suppressors aren't high on their list.

Don't forget to add the $200 tax stamp to the cost of the suppressors that you're looking at.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:12 pm

There have been more than one occasion where I REALLY wanted a 22 with a can......

Till then, I have been trying to make 22 as quiet a poss with legal and over the counter methods.

On the subject of cans, why is 45 not a popular suppressed round? They are subsonic in their ball form, and pack a punch so much harder than the ever popular 9mm subsonic.

Ruger amphibians, internally suppressed 10/22's and SBR 10/22's with cans always have piqued my interest.

If you want it, it is useful.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FMJ 911 wrote:
I was in the Discount Gun Sales store over in Everett, and they had a .22 Copy of the full-size service handgun(It was a SIG I believe). It came with a threaded barrel, and it was only $299. They also had a few Suppressors in stock, and one was for .22's, and its pricing was reasonable at $349(I don't know if that is a "Good" price, but It seemed good.).

depending on the silencer, it could be a good price. but not all silencers are the same. just like all guns, be it rifle pistol or shotgun, are not the same. some cans have different tones when put on different guns. some of that has to do with the length of the barrel and the amount of powder being burned and some of that has to do with the baffle design.

if you want to try mine out (with me there of course biggrinangelA ) drop me a line and we can work out a day and time to meet up.

MadPick wrote:
Some folks (*cough* dj_fatstyles *cough*) are fanatical about their suppressors, so obviously they are getting every penny's worth out of their "investment."

i see what you did there :P and yes, when i do go out, i shoot the shit out of my silencers.

tomy salami wrote:
On the subject of cans, why is 45 not a popular suppressed round? They are subsonic in their ball form, and pack a punch so much harder than the ever popular 9mm subsonic.

a 45 can is still pretty loud. the bullet may be sub-sonic but you also have a half inch hole at the end of your silencer that a lot of gas escapes from. dont get me wrong, i really enjoy my 45 silencers but if i could go back, i wouldnt have gotten what i got. i would go with a silencerco osprey.

on the plus side though, i did get an adaptor so can shoot 9mm through my 45 cans. :party:

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:04 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Check this vid out (would have been better without the wind)

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great video too. Always nice when they show that even the bulk Walmart packs can perform when suppressed.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to use them a lot for hunting rabbits / hares / possums / magpies in another country for pest control. Early mornings you won't scare others away, and if they do hear the sound they cannot tell which way the shot is coming from. You could buy .22 suppressors for $30 at any shop however, so it was a little more accessible, and over there supressors are very popular for big game hunting. They were also handy for spotlighting with a group of shooters at night, easier on the ears. Never had one on a .22 pistol though! That would be pretty cool.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:07 pm
FFL / Dealer

We've got two models headed there in a week. The approved transfers are in now.

The .22lr Suppressed has extremely high utility. Great for hunting, great for conversational shooting, or for shooting on your property -- it doesn't get much more useful than a suppressed .22lr.

Blog: http://www.griffinarmament.com/blog
Interactive Facebook Page and silencer Photo Library:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/wwwgriffinarmamentcom/172008254568
You Tube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/manoftin2

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Suppressed or not, shooting outside your house in most residential areas is prohibited.
Shooting inside your house is not a good idea either - lead pollution.

BTW, if you are looking for a .22, take a look at Ruger Mark III Target. It's a bit more expensive (I can get it for $340), but it is an extremely accurate gun (mine shoots 10 round groups in 1.5" at 25 yards). Here's a bit of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_III - and also read here about the history of these pistols: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_II.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
BTW, if you are looking for a .22, take a look at Ruger Mark III Target. It's a bit more expensive (I can get it for $340), but it is an extremely accurate gun (mine shoots 10 round groups in 1.5" at 25 yards). Here's a bit of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_III - and also read here about the history of these pistols: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_II.

i have the mkIII with the 22/45 upper. balls on accurate and quiet as hell with my spectre. this is what ill have the the USO shoot. :alcapone:

also, if there are more comments about shooting neighborhood animals in this section they will be deleted. shooting animals as food/varmint and shooting an animal just because its pissing you off are two different things.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:16 pm

solyanik wrote:
Suppressed or not, shooting outside your house in most residential areas is prohibited.
Shooting inside your house is not a good idea either - lead pollution.

I checked the local laws, and it's 100% legal to shoot on my property. I live on 1/2 acre of land, and there's a corner of my yard where I can shoot into a hillside safely.

I have shot unsuppressed guns before, but the neighbors get pissed after just a few rounds.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live on 5-acres and my HOA doesnt care about shooting or noise as most of us shoot. Even the State Land next to me allows shooting; only need a good backstop.

Never considered suppressed but it would be nice to take out the coyotes in the area at 2am without waking the neighbors.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How 'bout just thinking they're just plain 'ole awesome.:)

Ammo is cheap, it's fun, .22 cans are more affordable, ammo is abundant. If this is your first can, .22 is the way to go. They're highly addictive and once you shoot w/ a can, you won't go back.

Mark 22/45 w/ factory threaded barrel for about $300 and change. That's a tough price to beat. Accurate as can be. And you can throw a TacSol upper on that guy and be set.

Stay away from Discount Gun Sales. They blow chunks.

+82 positive feedback on SGN

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:35 am

Its hard to put a price on awesomeness, which suppressors have plenty of. I'm pretty new to the nfa game, but so far, the things I've bought, and the things I've tried are A LOT of fun.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]