Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Need a trust 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been dragging my feet on getting a trust with the possibility that supressors might come off the NFA list with the proposed legislation.
Now it seems that it's better to get one before the restricted requirements come in.

So, which is the best choice? I live in N Snohomish Co. Norpoint Range has a connection to a trust attorney. I see other on line options with local law offices.

I want a basic trust to order a couple supressors. The option to later upgrade it to cover all my firearms for estate purposes would be desirable ( I'm near retirement age ).

I don't mind spending some $ on this, but want a solid, supported trust.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by Bxc53 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:09 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

We're in almost the same spot... I was really looking forward to suppressors coming off the NFA list.
I've been looking into trusts ( Googled NFA Trust ) and it looks like they run the gamut from free and easy to about $1000.

I'm jumping in on this thread hoping for more info on why the $1000 trusts are better and how much time they take to set up.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
I'm jumping in on this thread hoping for more info on why the $1000 trusts are better

You're not going to get a satisfactory answer to that. We've had many threads on that topic; some people will tell you why the paid trusts are better than the free trusts, some people will argue that they're not, and you're left with just a bunch of people that disagree and no conclusion. You'll be able to get NFA items with any decent trust, even free. The big question that remains unanswered, probably because most of us aren't lawyers and don't want to read all of the fine print, is whether the paid trusts will serve you better down the road.

You'll have to take a leap of faith and make that decision for yourself.

If you decide to go with a paid trust, the NW Gun Law Group is highly regarded and has done a lot of trusts for local people, including me. Check out their site, they have some upcoming trust meetings that might be of interest: http://nwgunlawgroup.com

I bought their Silver Trust a couple of years ago at a similar trust meeting that oldkim organized. I haven't regretted dropping the $400 on it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:49 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

MadPick wrote:
... We've had many threads on that topic; some people will tell you why the paid trusts are better than the free trusts, some people will argue that they're not, and you're left with just a bunch of people that disagree and no conclusion.

Ive noticed that... They usually devolve a bit into the "you're foolish if you do it that way" kinds of conclusions. It makes it a bit itchy for me, 'cuz I don't like to add to the long list of foolish decisions that I've made in my life.

And how to avoid that when both sides of the discussion tell me that I'm a fool if I do it the other guy's way?

MadPick wrote:
, and you're left with just a bunch of people who disagree and no conclusion.

Sounds like a normal conversation on WaGuns. :cheers2:

MadPick wrote:
probably because most of us aren't lawyers and don't want to read all of the fine print, is whether the paid trusts will serve you better down the road.

Why is the bolded italicized thingamajig in there? I've generally thought of you as a steady-Eddie type who would take the time and effort to acquaint himself with the fine print. (Heck, ever since that time you saved me from that Chihuahua wearing the doggy Christmas sweater I've thought of you as my hero. This is a letdown.)
I'm not picking on you, just curious. I know lawyering can be a tricky, slippery, deceitful, nasty bit o' business, but a Trust is not that wordy, no?

MadPick wrote:
You'll have to take a leap of faith and make that decision for yourself.

I don't like leaps of faith. I'm trying to learn from other folks' experiences... I suppose I was hoping that since the last pleasant conversation regarding trusts there has been some more practical experience and someone might be able to share that tidbit that would give the gentle nudge one way or the other.

MadPick wrote:
If you decide to go with a paid trust, the NW Gun Law Group is highly regarded and has done a lot of trusts for local people, including me. Check out their site, they have some upcoming trust meetings that might be of interest: http://nwgunlawgroup.com

I bought their Silver Trust a couple of years ago at a similar trust meeting that oldkim organized. I haven't regretted dropping the $400 on it.

I remember that being mentioned and I would go that way in the decision except for my schedule and commitments that are far away from the pit of evil anti freedom Seattle.

So I don't see a definitive answer... Yes, I do want to be safe, but "you'll feel safer" isn't persuasive to me. That has the ring of a gun control initiative reason to me.
No, I am NOT trying to rehash the argument... I'm just hoping for the factual information that will nudge me left or right.

I hate making 50/50 decisions... In the service we referred to them as 50/50/90's... If you make a 50/50 decision, you'll wish you'd done t'other 90% of the time.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:53 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
but a Trust is not that wordy, no?

Depends on the trust. My Silver trust is in a nice binder and is ... maybe 3/4" thick? I'm not home at the moment to check, but it's pretty substantial.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a legal document and "method" used to obtain in this instance a NFA item (eg a suppressor or SBR in our cases).

Be it written by a lawyer or a one page off the internet free document.

What amazes me is are you willing to put your life in that document?

Especially with all the changes and reversals and new focus for NFA and firearms in general. The BAFTE can change the game and what will your trust do for you then?

It's like talking about life insurance to a 21 with no family no home and little holdings versus a family man with kids, home, good job, all the toys and all the debt

To each their own. As you can see I don't often jump into these discussions anymore because of these moments.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:15 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

oldkim wrote:
It's a legal document and "method" used to obtain in this instance a NFA item (eg a suppressor or SBR in our cases).

Especially with all the changes and reversals and new focus for NFA and firearms in general. The BAFTE can change the game and what will your trust do for you then?

It's like talking about life insurance to a 21 with no family no home and little holdings versus a family man with kids, home, good job, all the toys and all the debt

To each their own. As you can see I don't often jump into these discussions anymore because of these moments.

Well, thanks for turning a helpful moment into a prick moment oldkim! Not sure why you need to escalate a discussion into dickhead mode, but to each their own.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See I'm a dick. WTF

If you have done any research you should know my stance. I try to help and go so much out of my way to help and all I get is I'm a dick.

Well a dick a way I go.

You can lead a horse to water but one cannot make it take a drink.

Are you the horse? Are you so blind to your own stupidity that you will risk not only your future but your families. What happens if anything happens - maybe not now but just look at what has happen in the last 2 years regarding NFA let alone firearms.

If your so set on getting a free trust - do it. It's your future. As they say you see the rewards of your choices.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
See I'm a dick. WTF

If you have done any research you should know my stance. I try to help and go so much out of my way to help and all I get is I'm a dick.

Well a dick a way I go.

You can lead a horse to water but one cannot make it take a drink.

Are you the horse? Are you so blind to your own stupidity that you will risk not only your future but your families. What happens if anything happens - maybe not now but just look at what has happen in the last 2 years regarding NFA let alone firearms.

If your so set on getting a free trust - do it. It's your future. As they say you see the rewards of your choices.

You kinda are being dickerish....

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like I said. I'm a dick.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:58 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

oldkim wrote:
Like I said. I'm a dick.

Do you make ANY effort to understand how your sledgehammer posts come across to your fellow WaGunners?
You're a good dude, I'm sure of it. Your delivery sucks though. :cheers2:

I thought I covered why the "fear, safety, ATF CRUSHES YOU TO SMITHEREENS" reason didn't tickle my understanding of why the more expensive trust is better than the less expensive trust a few posts up in this thread.

I wasn't comparing the free trust to the $1000 trust and saying "No difference!" I was asking about the differences.

Are there examples of folks who have had significant legal/financial problems with the free trusts? ( I expect there have been- so are they errors that are reasonable for the lay person to fix?)
How about the Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum levels? What are the differences?

Young, you know about these differences and I do not. I just started looking into it, so I was asking my fellow WaGunners. Not refuting your opinion, or somehow slighting you by not saying "Well, Oldkim has often strongly criticized the cheap trusts so I goddamn well better not ask any further questions!"

Dude... Trying to learn here. "Be afraid of cheap trusts" is not educational to me.

FTR- I appreciate the previous helpful posts that you have made... I just cringe when I have to read about how anyone who disagrees with you must be stupid.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not an attorney and I went the "free DIY trust route". I've set up several and stuck a few NFA items in 2 of them so far - 1 for Form4s and 1 for Form1s.

My main objection to the lawyer drafted trust templates is the way they limit the trustor's options unless they want to pay more for a different trust template with more options.

Which from a marketing standpoint, makes sense for the lawyers. From an end user standpoint, it just reinforces the idea that lawyers are shysters who are in it for the money. Adding an extra paragraph's worth of verbiage to a document is worth $200? 2 paragraphs allowing for more trustees is $300?

If anyone would like a copy of the free DIY Trust template I have, I'll be happy to share it. Please IM me your email address to send it too. Bear in mind that if you plan to roll in your investment portfolio and your life insurance policy it'd be best to have a estate planning attorney look it over.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:31 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Northwest gun law group in Woodinville is easy to work with.

There is a lot of discussion on what you should get or have, as far as a trust goes. It all boils down to your family status, access, risk and potential problems that can come if/when you die. The $1,000 trusts are thick, well wrote and made to cover all the bases for you and protect your family if/when you die. The $100 trusts are professionally wrote by an attorney that will give you some support if a problem comes up, but generally your family is SOL if something happens to you (the gundox trusts aren't very comprehensive. They are legal but beyond the grantor/trustees listed, your kinda out of luck). The free trusts can be legal and work just fine if you make sure they are worded correctly. It just boils down to what your family status is and what your comfy with.

I have the $100 bronze trust because I'm not an attorney and didn't want to try to do it myself. The toys I have in it get used and I'm not planning on them getting passed on to my kids, if I have kids some day. I shoot them, use them and I figure they will be roached/worn out and wont be worth passing on, if I still have them when I die. If I had a family then I would spend the extra $900 to set it up for my family to keep them out of potential trouble but until that day comes, I will keep using my cheap trust, shooting the things in it and enjoying every round I send down range. :AR15firing:

Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:

:plusone: :yes: :handload:

I try to understand all this back and forth about trusts; "the easy download your own trust', the 'legal zoom trust', the ' download the paper fill it out hope for the best trust". I went with the Law Group. My recent NFA transaction was seamless. The book they give you is complete, notarized and backed by them to assist you in the future. The class 3 dealer I am working with, took my trust, copied what they needed and my NFA item is in the works. Ordered my NFA item and is being processed. You can save a lot of time money headache and wonder if it is going to work by considering even one of the less expensive trust options that the NW Gun Law Group has. Also, I put my sons's name on my trust, and like I have said before, my guns will go to him period end of story.

If you think that Oldkim is being a 'Dick' then you are an idiot and you do not know what you are talking about. If you are going to invest $$ in something then you should consider doing it properly. Does anyone hear an election coming? Do youy think this process is going to get an easier. Probably not.

It never amazes me how people treat things of importance with the thought of, I will go the EL Cheapo route and hope for the best. Same way of thinking is like buying a Mercedes or Porsche and put some discount Les Schaub tires on it. Goodluck

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next