Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Feelig a sense of urgency with 41P looming? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
chipster wrote:
an NFA item is the last thing I'm grabbing for home defense.

Hmm...it's the first thing I'm grabbing (suppressed handgun). If I wake up to a bump in the night, I don't want to discharge a handgun inside my home without hearing protection and without giving up my "night vision". But, to each his own.
I totally agree!!!!
Suppressed handgun and long gun, sbr and/ or sbs.
[/color]

The mad scientist wrote:
I might be the only person here WAITING for 41P to go into effect. I'm waiting until July to file for SBR and silencer for home defense so that its in MY name instead of a trust to remove some of the "risk" that comes with using trust property in the event SHTF or things go south. I might just have wrapped my tin foil a little tight, but I want that specific firearm in my name if I go to court and have to prove I didn't break any NFA possession/use laws.
. . .
I am the grantor and a trustee in my trust.

I'm not a lawyer, but if you're not a Prohibited Person, and your trust is valid, and you're the Grantor and a Trustee, and the BGC was conducted on you when you obtained the NFA item(s), and you have the tax stamp to prove the $200 tax was paid, then how could you possibly break any NFA laws by using your trust's item(s) in legitimate self-defense? I'm just trying to understand your train of thought here. Are there specific statutes you're concerned about violating?

Not a lawyer either, but agree here as well. Plus, I would think, if it is set up correctly, there would be less assets to go after.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:56 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I am not a prohibited person, I've paid my taxes and my trust is valid. My concern is that there is almost nothing to review or reference for trust owned NFA firearms that have been used in self-defense. I have silencers and a SBR that I use to go shoot and have fun with, but I personally am not looking to find out how strong my trust is when it comes to legal and political pressure that comes with a court case that involves a firearm that looks a certain way. Then the other part is weather a panel of uninformed jurors can understand a NFA trust, especially when there is nothing to fall back on for guidance, as far as previous cases go. This is about using the best tool for the job to CYA if something goes bump in the night and if that ever were to happen, i am in no way looking to be the one to see how its going to go. So with all of that, i'm waiting for the new rules to go into effect before I go get another SBR and silencer. I am also not concerned about the whole fingerprint and photo thing since I have a CPL (Washington sends your prints to the DOJ when you apply, so they already have them) and I have a drivers licence (so they already know what I look like), so there is nothing new that they are getting.

pacnw- I would think it would be two doors opened instead of one. You as an individual are and always will be held accountable for your actions (good or bad) along with the trust property being used. Just like how bushmaster is still in court over the sandyhook indecent (even though they did absolutely nothing wrong and are in no way responsible for that rifle being stolen) and KAHR got sued because an employee stole a gun off the assembly line and it eventually got used it in a crime. I think it would actually open the door for trust assets to be taken in a civil suit because something it "owns" was used.

Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm the sole trustee and grantor on my trust. I do have a beneficiary of course but those are not considered a "responsible party". So for me my current NFA trust is still good to go post 41f. Pantel Tactical in Renton is getting the Silencer Shop S.I.D. kiosk so taking photos/prints will take like 5 mins, no big deal.

If you want more NFA items post 41f and currently have a NFA trust loaded with co-trustees you don't want to fingerprint then just start another trust with just yourself. Load it up with a bunch of new items, then add your co-trustees when done. Wash, rinse, repeat. You can have as many trusts as you want.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^That is exactly what I was thinking. Second trust, no trustees until after the acquisition(s). I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

What about dropping trustees from an existing trust prior to a purchase, then adding them back later? Technically, it's perfectly legal to modify a revocable living trust as often as you want.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:18 am

Guns4Liberty wrote:
^That is exactly what I was thinking. Second trust, no trustees until after the acquisition(s). I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

What about dropping trustees from an existing trust prior to a purchase, then adding them back later? Technically, it's perfectly legal to modify a revocable living trust as often as you want.

Both are perfectly legal options. At the time you submit your form you can honestly say there was no co-trustees with access to the trust assets. Thus no need for additional documentation.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was buying a second suppressor, Osprey 45K from Jody at Rehv Arms. One of the staff said they are getting a kiosk for taking pictures and fingerprints. That should make thimgs go smoother at Rehv Arms.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not give a damn about 41-P or whatever. I have been finger printed and photographed in the past. What difference does it make? I got a passport, doesn't that mean I am registered with the State Department?
Business as usual for me. Not going to stop me or deter me from doing what I want to do in the future.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

SFCRMSA wrote:
I do not give a damn about 41-P or whatever. I have been finger printed and photographed in the past. What difference does it make? I got a passport, doesn't that mean I am registered with the State Department?
Business as usual for me. Not going to stop me or deter me from doing what I want to do in the future.

I'm not concerned about getting photographed or fingerprinted because I've been there, done that as you say. My concern is with the extra hassle factor involved; I also don't like the letter to the CLEO, because I don't think it's any of his damned business.

Kind of like 594 . . . I'm not afraid of a background check, but I despise the hassle that it causes me.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
SFCRMSA wrote:

I'm not concerned about getting photographed or fingerprinted because I've been there, done that as you say. My concern is with the extra hassle factor involved; I also don't like the letter to the CLEO, because I don't think it's any of his damned business.

Kind of like 594 . . . I'm not afraid of a background check, but I despise the hassle that it causes me.

This... :yes:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
SFCRMSA wrote:

Yes Sir, and not a point of argument and I do agree. But, I am not going to go stick my head in the sand. In my opinion, this is just another form of gun control and a lot of people are not going to go for NFA items because of 41-P and that is a shame. Look at 594, that is a form of gun control as well. several people told me that they basically will not buy guns in the same fashion as before because of no private sale without background checks.

We are continuing to move into dark times for legal gun owners and I suspect it there will be more continued so called 'restrictions' . Legal gun owners must maintain their resolve. :frust:

The whole thing is jacked up. :thumbsdown:

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2