Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Form 1 confusion 

Hi guys this is my first time doing anything with an NFA item, i plan on going the individual route instead of a trust

I have a lower i want to make into an SBR, and i have some questions:

1. Is it still possible to e-file? I keep reading that you cant anymore, but according to this page its still available:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/applications-eforms

2. How is the fingerprinting done? Do they send you fingerprinting materials or do i have to find somewhere to get that done?

3. Is it true that you no longer have to inform the CLEO with the new rules?

Thanks

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:53 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

1. The e-file is still up but has no way to accept your fingerprints, so you'll have to mail it in.

2. You can do them yourself, have a private business do them, find a dealer with a silencer shop scanner (last I heard they were working on getting them able to be used by form 1 builders), or run down to your local police department and have them take them for you.

3. You can order 2 (i ordered 4 just in case i messed one or two up) sets of the proper fingerprint cards from the FBI and they are mailed to you for free. https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

-form 1 SBR's need to be engraved, so don't forget to get your name or your trust name, city and state engraved on the receiver.

Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:10 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

kostenickj wrote:
3. Is it true that you no longer have to inform the CLEO with the new rules?

You need to notify the CLEO. However, you don't need to get the CLEO's permission (sign-off), like you used to need when filing as an individual.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So what r u suppose to write? Dear sheriff so and so, just to let you know, I'm form 1'ing a NFA item?

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:48 pm

My bad on missing/improperly answering #3.

You send them one copy of your completed form 1 (or form 4 if its bought at a dealer) with your passport photo (that part is omitted if its a trust but each trustee must fill out the trustee form and submit a copy to their cleo) but you do not send them a copy of your fingerprints.

Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:04 pm

The mad scientist wrote:
My bad on missing/improperly answering #3.

You send them one copy of your completed form 1 (or form 4 if its bought at a dealer) with your passport photo (that part is omitted if its a trust but each trustee must fill out the trustee form and submit a copy to their cleo) but you do not send them a copy of your fingerprints.

ok, new questions now.

1. So i have to send 2 copies to the atf, and a 3rd copy to the CLEO?

2. Does the copy i send to the CLEO have to be an original or can i just make a copy of the others?

3. Can i i send the fingerprints in to the atf in the same envelope as the two copies of the form 1?

4. Both copies of the form 1 go to the same atf address?

thanks

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:26 pm

1. Yes, two copies go to the ATF and one goes to your CLEO.

2. There is a third copy that is specifically for your CLEO. If you read the bottom of the three copies that are provided by ATF (if you request copies directly from them) or print off the PDF from ATF's website, one of them has "CLEO COPY" printed at the bottom of the page.

3. You are supposed to send both completed form 1 or 4 and your fingerprint cards TOGETHER. You have to send in fingerprint copies with EVERY form 1 or 4 you file.

4. Yes. ATF keeps one copy and returns the other back to you with a stamp on it when it's approved. The address to send everything to is provided at the top of the form 1 or 4.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:24 pm

The mad scientist wrote:
1. Yes, two copies go to the ATF and one goes to your CLEO.

2. There is a third copy that is specifically for your CLEO. If you read the bottom of the three copies that are provided by ATF (if you request copies directly from them) or print off the PDF from ATF's website, one of them has "CLEO COPY" printed at the bottom of the page.

3. You are supposed to send both completed form 1 or 4 and your fingerprint cards TOGETHER. You have to send in fingerprint copies with EVERY form 1 or 4 you file.

4. Yes. ATF keeps one copy and returns the other back to you with a stamp on it when it's approved. The address to send everything to is provided at the top of the form 1 or 4.

Thanks for your help, looks like ill need to make a third copy of my passport photo for the cleo copy. Does it need to be actual hq picture paper or can i just print it out on regular printer paper?

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:48 pm

I don't believe your picture has to be on HQ picture paper or anything special, other than it being 2"x2" and taken within the past year. I personally just spend the $10 and have a sheet of high quality passport photos printed out once a year, but I also need them for other things not related to guns.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Hey, finally got around to getting my fingerprints done. I got 2 copies. But they are both in the same sealed envelope. Do they need to be in separate envelopes or is it OK that both fingerprint cards are in the same one?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your good

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]