Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Rugged or Q 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ive been looking at a couple .30 cal cans and I think I’ve narrowed it down to two companies. Rugged and Q. For Rugged, I’m looking at their Surge because of it being modular. For Q, their Thunder Chicken because the cherry bomb not needing to be timed. Also it comes with 1/2x28 and 5/8-24 cherry bombs. Anyone have experience with these two cans? What are the cons of both? The main use will be hunting (no ear protection) and plinking mostly on a bolt action. Probably will have a lot of 556 use too.

Thanks!

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

following
I don't have experience, but i do have a trash panda (the shorter 30 cal version) in jail.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Timing a muzzle device isn't difficult at all. Don't let that be a factor, or at least make it a very small factor, in choosing a can

Silencer shop is running a special on the Surge right now. Get two extra muzzle devices and a 5.56 end cap

I don't have experience with either can. They both look good for different reasons. The thunder chicken is lighter but fatter, the surge is modular and only 1.5" diameter.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Timing a muzzle device isn't difficult at all. Don't let that be a factor, or at least make it a very small factor, in choosing a can

Silencer shop is running a special on the Surge right now. Get two extra muzzle devices and a 5.56 end cap

I don't have experience with either can. They both look good for different reasons. The thunder chicken is lighter but fatter, the surge is modular and only 1.5" diameter.

+1 to all of that. If you don't want to time a muzzle device yourself, it's no big deal for someone more experienced to do it.

Just to throw another wrench in the mix - have you considered one of the Ultra series cans from Thunder Beast? Those rate at least some consideration for any centerfire rifle can purchase; they aren't cheap but are a top end product for sure.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your open to others, I have heard very goood things on dead air . I purchased a dead air 30 cal sand man s ,(comes with a 5/8x24”) or any other dead air can and you get the option to buy the dead air ghost m45 can on sale from 900$ for 399$ . So if your in the market for a pistol can it’s a great deal

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

2 Corinthians 4:16
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Timing isn’t a big problem for me. It’s just a one up for the Q. I like how the cherry bomb doesn’t need to be timed and the threads stay clean when shooting (from what I read/watched). For Ruggeds one up over the Q, is its modularity. I like how it’s a two in one can.

Yes, I have looked into both Thunder Beast and Dead Air 30 cals (which I both like). I have looked at pretty much all of the suppressors on the SilencerShop website, but I’ve narrowed it down to these two. Some of the deals are hard to pass up but I could only choose one.

Mainly looking for real world cons. Like Rocketscott said, the Thunder Chicken is a thick fat can. I’m looking for cons like that. Hard to clean, hard to remove after a long day at the range, needs too many adapters, overpriced ect.

Thanks for all the input!

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:56 am

subscribing. I have been thinking about a 30 cal can.

I have cans from both Rugged and Dead Air in process, so I wouldn't mind sticking with one of them. I think a Sandman Ti or S have been high on the list. I am pretty convinced that modular cans are preferred. For a 30 cal can I am not looking for a K (short) can.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pistondriven wrote:
Timing isn’t a big problem for me. It’s just a one up for the Q. I like how the cherry bomb doesn’t need to be timed and the threads stay clean when shooting (from what I read/watched). For Ruggeds one up over the Q, is its modularity. I like how it’s a two in one can.

Yes, I have looked into both Thunder Beast and Dead Air 30 cals (which I both like). I have looked at pretty much all of the suppressors on the SilencerShop website, but I’ve narrowed it down to these two. Some of the deals are hard to pass up but I could only choose one.

Mainly looking for real world cons. Like Rocketscott said, the Thunder Chicken is a thick fat can. I’m looking for cons like that. Hard to clean, hard to remove after a long day at the range, needs too many adapters, overpriced ect.

Thanks for all the input!

If it is not addressed on their website do you just assume it does not need to be timed?

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

2 Corinthians 4:16
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s on their website. It just needs 20-30 ft lbs.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the downside of not needing to be timed is that there are holes pointed all directions. The holes in the bottom will kick up dirt when shooting prone and not act as a comp in any position

Kinda picking nits with that assessment

Just by looking at the info online I'd go with the Surge. The fit and finish look a notch above Q. The modular aspect is nice too (although I do have a modular 9mm can that I don't switch back and forth, that may change if I get a 9mm PCC though so it's nice to have that option). The deal with silencer shop looks really good too

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s what I’m looking for. Nit picking.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:16 pm

I have a Rugged Obsidian, I've been happy enough with it to order a Surge and an Oculus. I don't have any experience with Q, but looking over their stuff, the impression I get is that it's going to be lighter than Rugged, if perhaps not as tough, with very similar suppression performance. I happen to also like the modular feature that Rugged has, I know not everyone uses it, but I actually do change up my Obsidian pretty frequently (long config for showing off or shooting outdoors, short for nightstand use and indoor ranges).

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Case wrote:
I have a Rugged Obsidian, I've been happy enough with it to order a Surge and an Oculus. I don't have any experience with Q, but looking over their stuff, the impression I get is that it's going to be lighter than Rugged, if perhaps not as tough, with very similar suppression performance. I happen to also like the modular feature that Rugged has, I know not everyone uses it, but I actually do change up my Obsidian pretty frequently (long config for showing off or shooting outdoors, short for nightstand use and indoor ranges).

welcomewgo

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Case wrote:

I have never used the short configurations yet. Maybe next range trip. You will like the oculus a lot especially on a bolt 22.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Radiant 7.62? Looks like this one is a lighter surge.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]