Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Suppressor crystal ball opinions. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been on the verge of going the current Trust/tax stamp route to get a couple suppressors. I've stoped short because of the possible changes in the NFA laws regarding suppressors. What is the current thinking /odds of suppressors falling off the NFA list similar to some of the European countries?

Im trying to finally decide on getting a trust and waiting many months for the stamp or just waiting out a law charge.. Thoughts?

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a Crap shoot. Do i think the laws will change in the next 12 months? No i don't. Bronze Trust is 99 bucks, though if you can swing it get the Silver. Much better version, it's act as a Will and is more flexible

Then 200 bucks for a stamp, so 299.00 and a 8-12 month wait. It's a crap shoot, but i say go for the trust and stamp and start the process.
I sat on the fence about a Trust and the wait too, due to how long the process took.....and i missed out on some fun.

The alternative is waiting and gambling the Hearing act or some other Hail Mary changes the laws on suppressors in WA.

Your call, i wouldn't wait any longer. Spend the money and go down the Rabbit hole. If the law changes later? Good! Then you can get more for less.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:10 pm

My vote....just do it if you want one. Nobody knows when the law would actually go in effect if it gets passed.

Even if the law changes, it is going to be a shit show for the first 6-12 months after it goes into effect. Demand will be high for them and with only a few companies really making them currently they wont be able to meet the demand IMO. There are a ton of suppressor companies but quite a few of them are "made to order" more or less. SilencerCo, AAC, GemTech types are the only ones with stock and you can bet many of those will go out of stock quite quickly.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:53 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Its going to be really hard to get that bill through. Even with the house, senate and president being all red, there is a chance it won't happen. Every individual that backs that bill is putting themselves in a situation that will allow them to be put under public scrutiny and it could cost them a reelection. There are many states that are on the edge between red and blue and in those states there are a lot of people who are uneducated about firearms in a whole, let alone silencers and backing that bill could cause the next representative to be blue. If that bill does make it through and become law, you will get your $200 per silencer tax refunded (it is wrote into the bill that anyone that purchases a silencer and pays the tax after October 22nd 2015 will get their tax money refunded).

Velillen makes a good point too. It will take months or even a year or two before any kind of inventory will be able to be maintained by dealers. The other thing to consider is that fact that silencer manufactures may just abandon the idea that a silencer should last a lifetime and end up making it a consumable. In Europe and New Zealand almost all silencers are aluminum (including magnum rifle silencers) with a short life and they simply tell you to throw it away when it gets loud or fails, rather than having a silencer that never needs to be replaced. Buying one now guarantees that you get what you want, that it will last a lifetime and you get to enjoy it instead of sitting around hoping deregulation happens.

Personally, I did all the paperwork and paid the taxes for 3 silencers and a SBR over a year ago and have been having a blast while everyone else is still waiting for the HPA. It's really worth just doing it now so you get to enjoy shooting quietly because there really is no solid timeframe for the bill and every day we wait, is a day we don't get back.

Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]