Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wait Time for ATF Approval of NFA Paperwork Still Sky High 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
A few months back, while I was still waiting for the ATF to stamp my paperwork, I discovered a disheartening trend — wait times for NFA paperwork have exploded. A form that used to take less than 60 days to be approved (well, in some cases at least) was pushing well past 150 days. It was enough to make even the most law abiding citizen start looking at his oil filter in that “special way.” Now that a couple months have passed I thought I would revisit that absolutely terrible graph and try to come up with something more usable. I give you fair warning: you’re not going to like it…

This graph was compiled using the latest available data from the NFATracker.com website, the means we have of indirectly observing the ATF. And yeah, there’s no hope whatsoever. Wait times are continuing to increase, having surged past the previous 160 day mark and heading with unwavering certainty towards 180.
One of our readers, Charles, thought he had discovered something that would help explain the increase in wait times. Turns out, the ATF changed their mechanism for assigning investigators to paperwork from alphabetical to region based around the time the wait times started really taking off. But there’s an issue: the wait times started taking off BEFORE the policy was put in place.

Read the rest: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... -sky-high/

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

last i heard from this is that the atf is backlogged with over 30,000+ forms (as of a week and a half ago and that includes form 1's/4's, AOW's, MG, SBR/SBS and DD).

with 11 examiners that breaks down to roughly 2,727 per examiner.
if they were to keep up with a 6 month time frame, each examiner would have to process 454.5 forms PER day including weekends.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the "happy" phone call from Chip last night! Went pending back in December.

Now I need to decide on a 30 caliber Host. . .

ImageImageImage

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:03 pm

If they processed 454 forms per day, that would generate over 90,000 bucks per day in taxes per examiner. Or they COULD hire some more people. Let President Obama create some of those jobs he is talking about. Oh, wait! WE would be creating those jobs by the demand. You can bet your ass that if I had that many orders, I would put on some people.

I think they don't got a clue. Or is the slowdown to retard the NFA companies. Just imagine if people had to wait 180 days to buy a car or a house, or ANY firearm at all.

People wonder why the American economy is in such a shambles. This is a segment of business that the Feds actually could help, but they don't seem interested. Or how is this for an idea? Sell NFA on a 4473 Even requiring finger prints and a photograph e-mailed to them wouldn't be that burdensome. The $200 tax could be paid on the spot electronically. But wait, that would mean someone in Washington pulled their head out of their ass. I am not holding my breath. BTW, even Form 3's are slow.

Last edited by irongoat on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hire more people.....simple as that. why on earth are there only 11 examiners???

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there have been rumors floating around, mind you these are just rumors, about the NRA lobbying to get some of the NFA items off the registry. mainly silencers but could be that sbr/sbs and AOW's might get off the regisrty as well. machine guns and DD would stay on the registry though.
I dont know if there is any truth to this but some people in the industry ive talked with have hinted towards this.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Do you really think that this can happen? It would require rational thought processes on the part of the same people who brought us Fast and Furious.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

irongoat wrote:
It would require rational thought processes on the part of the same people who brought us Fast and Furious.

:ROFLMAO:
im not holding my breath for it to happen.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dj_fatstyles wrote:
last i heard from this is that the atf is backlogged with over 30,000+ forms (as of a week and a half ago and that includes form 1's/4's, AOW's, MG, SBR/SBS and DD).

if they were to keep up with a 6 month time frame, each examiner would have to process 454.5 forms PER day including weekends.

You might want to check your math or at least move a decimal point. If each examiner did 454.5 forms per day, the back log would be less than 6 days (2727/454.4).

My guess is that examiners have a low weekly quota and work to meet that. At the VA, each claims examiner is required to process 4.5 cases a week.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:34 am

30,000 / 11 peeps = 2728
2728 / 6 months = 455
455 / 4.3 weeks = 106
106 / 5 days = 21.5(ish) per day per examiner
Less than 3 an hour for an 8 hour day...

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

You also have to understand that being an examiner is only part of their job. They do other things at the BATFE as well.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Get coffee and donuts for the super secret agents?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

CHECK OUT OUR NEW ESTORE
WE can take credit cards plus 3%
I AM AN FFL/NFA DEALER. EVERYTHING I SELL HAS PAPERWORK REQUIRED AND I AM FORCED TO CHARGE SALES TAX

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Quote:
Get coffee and donuts for the super secret agents?

I was thinking exactly that then scrolled down a saw you'd already typed it...

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new daddy wrote:
dj_fatstyles wrote:

You might want to check your math or at least move a decimal point. If each examiner did 454.5 forms per day, the back log would be less than 6 days (2727/454.4).

My guess is that examiners have a low weekly quota and work to meet that. At the VA, each claims examiner is required to process 4.5 cases a week.

oops, i forgot to factor in the weeks and days. never said my math skills were top notch. you can grant that to the great american education system. :thumbsup2:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lalalalala I'm not hearing this! Lalalalala hope that they add more people to the nfa group. But doubt so

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next