Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Who's familiar with AOW Shotguns? 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

This is listed in the Class III section of Bud's gun shop. Is this an AOW like the Serbu shorty? What's the process for ordering an NFA item online? Is it just like a suppressor that will spend a year sitting at my FFL for the paperwork to go through?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... /719011145

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

have your Class III dealer order it. Sit around picking your butt for 6-9 months until the tax stamp shows up.

If you don't mind a few more inches, get a factory pistol grip shotgun, and you can cut it down to about 14" and with the right grip have it be a bit longer than 26" OAL and as long as you don't conceal it, it is a "firearm" and perfectly legal with no tax stamp.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would go with the Black Aces DTR. No NFA Paperwork required. Sure its double the price but no waiting and its mag fed!

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

BlDtyLry wrote:
I would go with the Black Aces DTR. No NFA Paperwork required. Sure its double the price but no waiting and its mag fed!

That's pretty sweet!

Kf- I didn't know that you could cut down the barrel yourself. I was under the impression they had to be manufactured at that length like the 14" mossberg bird's head, etc.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never heard of any law prohibiting doing the work yourself as long as the end result is still a legal gun.

I keep thinking about doing it with a .410

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:plusone:

If it starts as a firearm and ends as a firearm you can do whatever you want. OP - in your case as long as you keep the minimum overall length at 26" by adding a brace and/or buffer tube, its still a firearm.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Ok, that makes sense. What are the laws regarding transporting a "firearm" loaded with CPL. Does firearm fall into the rifle or pistol classification relating to CPL laws?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:24 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm . . . there's something about the receiver needing to be virgin and never used for a legal "shotgun," isn't there?

I don't really know. I've read a lot of stuff, and retained little. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:25 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Hmmm . . . there's something about the receiver needing to be virgin and never used for a legal "shotgun," isn't there?

I thought I remembered something like that too. That the original weapon had to be sold with a pistol grip or something along those lines.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

That was my understanding as well. Along the lines of an AR lower being listed as "other" when transferred before building it into a Pistol.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

It has to be a "firearm" to start out with. In other words, a factory pistol grip, and transferred as a firearm, and never had a buttstock installed.

You also cannot carry it concealed, because then that becomes an AOW from my understanding (26" is the magic "not concealable" length to the ATF)

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Definition of a "Firearm" varies greatly between NFA and GCA 68.
ATF redid their NFA pamphlets around 2003 replacing 'firearm" with "NFA weapon" as it was confusing people., but no changes were made to USC.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-n ... x/download

NFA
Under 26 U.S. Code § 5845 - Definitions

(a) Firearm

The term “firearm” means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term “firearm” shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector’s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]