Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 SBR application rejected for a second time 

My first SBR application, was submitted in May of 2015 and was rejected because the first SBR bill was reworded/ not worded right for manufacturing.

The second SBR attempt was submitted in June of 2016 between SBR's being allowed and before 41p.
This was rejected because they said I am modifying an existing firearm.

Here is what I WAS trying to do. Make a sterling SBR. I only have the receiver pieces from a torched up parts kit in WA state, no full auto parts. I can not find it right now but when they torch up a receiver it is no longer considered a firearm. So when you weld it back together you are the manufacturer which also makes it a US made part. Yet they rejected my application saying I am modifying an existing firearm. When I called Ted Clutter, he said I now need to build the kit as a rifle with a full length barrel THEN send it in to the ATF technology department and after they asses it has been properly converted to semi auto only, then can I apply to have it made into an SBR. I had sent in detailed descriptions of the semi auto conversions and denial bar installations, modifying the trigger pack so the selector can not go into the full auto position, cutting the sear so it fits up into the new bolt slot for a firing pin system. This is just a copy of how Wise Lite Arms made their semi auto clones.

Does anyone here have any experience with receiver welding and know where I can find information on me being the manufacturer for having welded it myself?

Thank you

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:34 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I wish I could help but it sounds like the ATF is a lot more concerned with the semi vs. full auto aspect of this weapon than they are the barrel length. Good luck, I'll be interested to see what happens with this.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:38 am

They may be, Wise Lite Arms was selling their sporter version and mine will be the same as what they were selling but as an SBR! Does anyone know if the law says ALL converted full to semi auto parts kit builds must be sent to the ATF for testing? I do not think a home builder has to prove that he built a safe semi auto...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-mac ... importable

"Note that machinegun destruction to ATF specifications will generally render a machinegun parts kit importable in this respect (destroying a kit’s barrel, and/or frame, and/or receiver to ATF specifications so they are no longer considered a barrel, frame, or receiver will generally render the kit importable in this respect)."

The caption above is from the ATF site and clearly states that once it is torched it is no longer a receiver. I have read on several other forums that a welded receiver IS a US made part. This comes from Bren gun forums and AK forums, a few others but I can not find an ATF letter stating this. I feel as though I have seen one before.

Is trump going to fix SBR and SBS after the Hearing Protection Act?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sandersballistics wrote:
Is trump Congress going to fix SBR and SBS after the Hearing Protection Act?

Good question. I doubt it, but crazier things have happened.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 am

Thank you for the correction.

Does anyone know where I can find an ATF letter stating that a receiver made by welding together a de-milled receiver is a US made part?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[quote="sandersballistics"] Does anyone know if the law says ALL converted full to semi auto parts kit builds must be sent to the ATF for testing? I do not think a home builder has to prove that he built a safe semi auto...
quote]

Didn't have to send in my HK91 Clone when It was converted from a Full auto to Semi.
Granted the block on the trigger pack is a dead give away that the full auto sear wont work.

BUT mine if different, it has the semi block installed but I also have the trigger pack pin ears still installed but shaved down.
looks like the real deal unless you get real close.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sandersballistics wrote:
Thank you for the correction.

Does anyone know where I can find an ATF letter stating that a receiver made by welding together a de-milled receiver is a US made part?

Never seen such a letter. When HKG3 kits were widely available, what would have stopped someone from welding those back together and calling it US made.
922r still applies still need to min US made parts. I have more then enough parts on my HK91 clone. Famed HK clone builder BIG50 at Arizona Response Systems (long time ago) assembled my gun.

Section 27 C.F.R. § 478.39 effectively stipulates that the firearm is only considered imported, or only considered the same as the otherwise-banned foreign version, if it has “more than 10” of the following 20 imported parts on it [from 478.39(c)].

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or castings.
(2) Barrels.
(3) Barrel extensions.
(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions).
(5) Muzzle attachments.
(6) Bolts.
(7) Bolt carriers.
(8) Operating rods.
(9) Gas pistons.
(10) Trigger housings.
(11) Triggers.
(12) Hammers.
(13) Sears.
(14) Disconnectors.
(15) Buttstocks.
(16) Pistol grips.
(17) Forearms, handguards.
(18) Magazine bodies.
(19) Followers.
(20) Floor plates.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 am

This letter is for a specific type of gun and unfortunately not very clear but it does say you can weld receiver bits back together to manufacture a receiver.

http://gunwiki.net/JustTheLaw/RefFullAutoAndRewelds2004

Like I said the BREN gun guys and the milled AK receivers are welded back together and they consider them US made. I do not know what the ATF considers them.

Also he said I had to make it as a rifle and send it in to them, not sure why I would not make it into a pistol and send in a pistol for evaluation and then convert that into an SBR? As I am manufacturing the receiver I would go pistol first and may just remove the stock trunion and do this step first!

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]