Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:14 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms I5 Guns & Ammo Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar



Forum rules


Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Rimfire Suppressors 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Austin, TX
Joined: Thu Mar 5, 2015
Posts: 2667
Real Name: Dave
Turns out I have a bit of extra money arriving at the end of the month as compensation for a recent patent filing. Should be more than enough to buy my first ever suppressor. So thinking to drop by Capital Armory or the Silencer Shop storefront here locally to plunk my cash down on a nice rimfire suppressor.

Currently looking to suppress a Browning Buckmark 22LR pistol and a Smith M&P 15-22 rifle. In the future I can see adding potentially a 22/45 or PPQ 22 for pistol host and a 10/22 for rifle as well.

I've been ogling a couple different options:
- Dead Air Mask
- Q El Camino
- Thunderbeast 22 Take Down

Couple questions for the forum:
- Is it worth buying different rimfire cans for pistol vs rifle or are modern suppressors pretty adaptable to either type of host?
- Are certain rimfire suppressors known to have less effect on the guns inherent POI than others?
- What do you guys think of the modular suppressors having different length configurations (e.g. AAC Halcyon)?

Of course any recommendations on specific models greatly appreciated.


Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:09 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: maple valley
Joined: Mon May 6, 2013
Posts: 1917
Real Name: Earl
I've been looking at the Q erector. I do like the modular nature of it. It's super light. To be that light though, it's mostly made out of thin aluminum that restricts calibers and cleaning options. I don't have any of the other calibers though, just 22 lr.


Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: renton, wa
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 3777
Real Name: below me
Skip the Q and replace it with either an swr Spectre II or any of liberty suppressor's .22 line up.

Most .22 cans are pretty adaptable to either host you want. There's going to be a noticeable difference between a rifle and pistol with the rifle being quieter with the longer barrel.

Most of the current production .22 silencers have gotten better about POI shift. I feel that I have the most shift with "K" baffle silencers than with the newer cone or radial baffles. The ones on your list, shouldn't have much if any at all POI shift. Kinda depends on how you are shooting, long distance, target/range/having fun, pest control/small game hunting, doing dirt for the CIA.
Long distance, you really shouldn't be using a can.
Target/range/having fun, as long as it hits paper it shouldn't matter cause you're having a good time.
Pest control/sm game hunting, sight the optic in with the can attached and move the can around from host to host or leave the can attached to critterslayergun and get another can.
Doing dirt for CIA, can't really talk about that.

My opinion on modular cans is that it's a marketing hype. Silencers are to get you the most suppression out of your caliber so if you shorten it, you're just making it louder. I still think they are neat but personally, I won't get one.

_________________
Spoiler: show
SIG556 wrote:
Q: How do you make a $200 rifle into a $1000 rifle?

A: Sell it to Scott.


Spoiler: show
BadKarma wrote:
I just went out and killed a bunny rabbit and shoved his skin into my ears so I will never have to listen to this again.


Spoiler: show
jdigitty wrote:
Thanks everyone. Panama canal interesting, I'll MapQuest it.


Spoiler: show
cmica wrote:
dick burgers are good.


Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: maple valley
Joined: Mon May 6, 2013
Posts: 1917
Real Name: Earl
Which q are you talking about replacing? The erector or the el camino?


Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:47 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Snohomish, WA
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012
Posts: 777
Real Name: Bo
Rugged Oculus22 would be at the top of my list. Already have a SiCo Spectre II.

_________________
"I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes, when it takes a man's life." ~ Four Leaf Tayback


Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: renton, wa
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 3777
Real Name: below me
Duke EB wrote:
Which q are you talking about replacing? The erector or the el camino?

both

_________________
Spoiler: show
SIG556 wrote:
Q: How do you make a $200 rifle into a $1000 rifle?

A: Sell it to Scott.


Spoiler: show
BadKarma wrote:
I just went out and killed a bunny rabbit and shoved his skin into my ears so I will never have to listen to this again.


Spoiler: show
jdigitty wrote:
Thanks everyone. Panama canal interesting, I'll MapQuest it.


Spoiler: show
cmica wrote:
dick burgers are good.


Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Austin, TX
Joined: Thu Mar 5, 2015
Posts: 2667
Real Name: Dave
dj_fatstyles wrote:
Skip the Q and replace it with either an swr Spectre II or any of liberty suppressor's .22 line up.

Most .22 cans are pretty adaptable to either host you want. There's going to be a noticeable difference between a rifle and pistol with the rifle being quieter with the longer barrel.

Most of the current production .22 silencers have gotten better about POI shift. I feel that I have the most shift with "K" baffle silencers than with the newer cone or radial baffles. The ones on your list, shouldn't have much if any at all POI shift. Kinda depends on how you are shooting, long distance, target/range/having fun, pest control/small game hunting, doing dirt for the CIA.
Long distance, you really shouldn't be using a can.
Target/range/having fun, as long as it hits paper it shouldn't matter cause you're having a good time.
Pest control/sm game hunting, sight the optic in with the can attached and move the can around from host to host or leave the can attached to critterslayergun and get another can.
Doing dirt for CIA, can't really talk about that.

My opinion on modular cans is that it's a marketing hype. Silencers are to get you the most suppression out of your caliber so if you shorten it, you're just making it louder. I still think they are neat but personally, I won't get one.


Thanks DJ good points. Thinking about it I would be using the suppressor mainly for target/range/having fun. Both the Buckmark and the 15-22 are mainly fun range toys. The 15-22 has a Geissele S3G trigger and a red dot and puts a grin on the face of everyone who shoots it at the range :bigsmile: So on further consideration having a consistent/repeatable POI can take a somewhat lower priority to overall suppression and minimal FRP. So far my thinking is to get a Titanium/Stainless can for durability and take-apart design for maintenance.

Not really doing any small game hunting. Eventually I'll pick up a 300 BO SBR and can for hog hunting here in Texas but that's a spendy proposition and will have to wait another year or two till my alimony obligations taper off.

Will do some research on the Liberty and Rugged product line-ups also. Thanks for the tips.


Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: renton, wa
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 3777
Real Name: below me
Anytime bro.

_________________
Spoiler: show
SIG556 wrote:
Q: How do you make a $200 rifle into a $1000 rifle?

A: Sell it to Scott.


Spoiler: show
BadKarma wrote:
I just went out and killed a bunny rabbit and shoved his skin into my ears so I will never have to listen to this again.


Spoiler: show
jdigitty wrote:
Thanks everyone. Panama canal interesting, I'll MapQuest it.


Spoiler: show
cmica wrote:
dick burgers are good.


Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:53 am
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 2413
A rimfire suppressor is next on my list. I haven't had much time to really investigate them though. A couple random thoughts:

I highly recommend Capitol Armory. I bought a 9mm can from them a few years ago. We were on the phone and I mentioned I got shorted the barrel shims on another suppressor from Silencer Shop. They threw a set in with my order for free. Totally above and beyond, customer support for another vendor's problem.

My 9mm can is modular. I've had it in K configuration exactly once. Maybe if I get a pistol caliber carbine I'd consider using it that way again. It only shortens it by around 2" and is noticeably louder. I should try it again now that I've got my loads figured out. It might not be that bad. For a rimfire suppressor I'll get one for my 22/45 and maybe another for a rife down the road.

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.778s | 16 Queries | GZIP : On ]