Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 For silencer gurus 

I have a question for all the silencer suppressor gurus here. I have an AR gun and am considering getting a suppressor. I have been perusing the interwebs and there is one question I can't find a good answer to. So I'm here to ask yall.

How loud is the dead air sandman S, or something similar at the shoorer's ear? Dead Air says it is 129db at the muzzle. But I don't want to buy it only to discover it's 141 at the ear. Sadly I have no access to silencers to try it out in real life.

And then for a followup question. Would 556 be worse at the ear than 300blk supers? I assume yes right?

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t go off dB level. Ammo will change the sound, barrel length will, etc. bolt actions are much quieter as the ar action alone is pretty loud and there’s nothing you can do about that.

dB levels from most manufactures are incorrect and if they are they are measured with longer barrels, bolt action and subsonics or quieter bullets for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh so many variables.

I think going off one component is misleading. So as mentioned - just going off the manufacturers quoted Decible reading has so many components to just take for granted.

I think a discussion as the perfect setup can be more helpful.

Bolt action. Using subsonic Ammo.

When talking AR style. Direct or piston and of course Ammo.

Since most are DI systems for AR barrel length, Ammo and design of suppressor.

Gas pressure to the face becomes more problematic and apparent for the shooter.

The issue of decible reading all stems in where it was measured, air temp, barometric pressure, conditions of range and of course how good the measuring was done.

I’m sure more info will come from those that may actually have this suppressor and know more details.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:27 am

as said before, dB levels can vary a lot depending on the measurement method, tools, gun and other variables. I work in the audio industry as a professional, so this is something I know about.
There was recently a test comparing a 1911 to a Glock 45, and while the results out in front of the muzzle were somewhat similar, the volume near the ear for the Glock was like 8 dB louder than the 1911. The level at the ear can change a lot depending on the gun.

If you are concerned about it being too loud, consider a longer can. If you are concerned about weight and maneuverability, get a shorter can.
I personally think 5.56 is loud, even with a short (K) can. And subsonic 5.56/223 ammo is silly

Dead Air makes great cans though!

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At 1-meter a loud clap with your hands is ~130db to give you some perspective.

As stated above if you want quiet go long. I run a Sandman S and it is hearing safe at the shooter's ear shooting 55gr 223Rem IMHO. The bullet breaking the sound barrier cannot be eliminated with a silencer only sound reduction of the exploding gasses behind the bullet. This means a larger silencer can handle more volume of exploding gases.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only skimmed through the video but it might have some info for you.

https://youtu.be/KQ3BFbrS4_g

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ask djfatstyle

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]