Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Adding family members from NFA unfriendly states... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible to add family members from California as a trustee and beneficiary onto my trust? I bought the silencershop trust because it was most convenient for me at the time and I’ve had this question burning since Christmas, but haven’t had a chance to call them yet. I’ll call tomorrow, but thought it might be a good question to ask on the forum.

I get that I can have them download the app for the picture and send them fingerprint cards, but unsure of how the process would work out after that. Is that all we need? I hate that California is so bogus and we’re heading that same direction :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It wouldn’t be illegal but might not be the best idea. They can be in the trust but won’t be able to take possession of the items in CA

So if something happens to you and the items need to go to your beneficiary they would either need to move out of Cali, find some way of storing them outside the state, or get rid of them

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
It wouldn’t be illegal but might not be the best idea. They can be in the trust but won’t be able to take possession of the items in CA

So if something happens to you and the items need to go to your beneficiary they would either need to move out of Cali, find some way of storing them outside the state, or get rid of them

that isn't a problem with them taking possession here in WA since they'd be taking over my house and everything in it as well. they stay over for a couple months during the summer, so i'd want them to take things out and shoot them as they please, without needing me to be with them.

my biggest concern is the process of buying an nfa item. don't they need to submit fingerprints every time something is purchased? i guess it just becomes a pain to have them submit paper fingerprints for every item i buy since they aren't able to go to a kiosk.

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s part of the reason that they sell the single shot trust. Each item gets its own trust with you as the only responsible person. After it’s approved you can add them as trustees.

If you want to use the same trust then yes you will need to get photos and fingerprints from them. You can request fingerprint cards from the BATFE and get an ink pad on amazon for less than $10.

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
That’s part of the reason that they sell the single shot trust. Each item gets its own trust with you as the only responsible person. After it’s approved you can add them as trustees.

If you want to use the same trust then yes you will need to get photos and fingerprints from them. You can request fingerprint cards from the BATFE and get an ink pad on amazon for less than $10.

The single shot trust is a somewhat clever work-around; it's effectively the same thing as restating your one (and only) trust to remove your responsible parties before a new NFA purchase, then adding them back afterward (since revocable living trusts can be restated as many times as the Guarantor wants in his/her lifetime). I just wonder if ATF could (or would) make a case that both are illegal evasion of 41F.

Does everyone's trust body specifically name their co-trustees? Is there anyone like me whose trust (NW Gun Law Group's Silver Edition Trust) does not mention them by name in the trust body, but in other trust documents/forms (that don't get submitted with a Form 1/4)?

I bring that up because having your trust structured that way has an advantage. For example, I could destroy the signed Add Co-Trustee forms and Co-Trustee Acceptance forms, which effectively eliminates all Responsible Persons (besides me) from the trust, but I don't have to restate the trust to accomplish that (which would require revising the trust body language, having it re-notarized, etc.). Then, if I ever wanted to add a co-trustee back on, I have them fill out & sign the two aforementioned forms again, file them away with my trust, and call it a day. Just another way to skin the cat, I guess.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]