Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 process to buy my first suppressor 

Hello, I have been doing research and decided I want to buy an thunderbeast Ultra 9 for my .308 bolt gun. I have never gone through the process and wanted to ask a few quick questions so I can get the ball rolling because I know the wait time is pretty long.

1. I plan on buying a 50% off certificate - does anyone know if I can use this with an FFL or only possible to directly buy from TBAC?
2. After I make the purchase, I plan on using a local class 3 FFL to do the transfer for $50 - do I need to do a trust and would this be the time to start that? (I see on silencershop they have trusts for $25, would that be my best bet?) When do I buy my tax stamp (would the best bet be silencershop once again? would it make more sense to buy through the FFL?)
3. After I order and coordinate with the FFL, pay for suppressor, get my stamp bought... is there anything else I need to do?
4. This will probably be the only suppressor I will buy and it will probably only touch this 308 bolt gun - do you recommend direct thread or CB?

Sorry for these questions but for a first time buyer, this process seems very confusing and convoluted.

Thanks, Mike

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. My understanding is you have to buy it from thunderbeast directly.

2. Trust is optional but honestly I’d suggest it. Having a trust makes you able to add wife/husband/kids whoever to your trust whenever you want so they can have access to your suppressor without you present. If you buy it individual your wife/husband/kids whatever can’t have access to your safe you keep it in as that’s a felony. You can’t leave it in their possession as that’s a felony. Probably what you’re looking at on the silencershop website is a 1 shot trust. That only works with silencershop purchases afaik. You’re going to want to buy this one.

Now only put yourself on the trust for now, once you get the stamp back you can add others and not have to submit fingerprints and photos to the Atf for them.

3. The stamp is a $200 check written to the Atf. You don’t buy it from somewhere else.

4. Total up to you, direct thread is probably going to be your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MyNameIs940 wrote:
3. The stamp is a $200 check written to the Atf. You don’t buy it from somewhere else.

If you are using the SiShop kiosk to do your paperwork you can buy a stamp "from them" for $205 online. They then send a check, along with your paperwork, photo and fingerprints to the ATF.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:

If you are using the SiShop kiosk to do your paperwork you can buy a stamp "from them" for $205 online. They then send a check, along with your paperwork, photo and fingerprints to the ATF.

True, I guess dealers can push through his paperwork through silencershop when he buys elsewhere. I’d wait to see where you’re transferring it at though to see if they use the silencershop kiosk. If they do then you can do that $25 single shot trust as well I believe.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If he doesn't buy through SS and uses the kiosk there will be more fees

Doing a form 3/form 4 into a local shop isn't that bad with the right shop. Photos are easy, not sure if shops are doing fingerprints yet. Seems like that would be an easy service for them to do.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:03 pm

After talking with TBAC, apparently their backlog is around 5 months now + 9 months on ATF after you get your serial number. So my best bet is to find someone with an ultra 9 in stock, to avoid the 5 month production time. I'm actually considering Hansohnbrothers.com (they give you better pricing if you are a snipershide member) and then form 3 it to pantel in Renton for $50... unless I can find a local place with one in stock.

Thanks for advice about trusts, I didnt know wife/son wouldnt be allowed to even open the safe... will definitely get one now.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

g0rFz wrote:
After talking with TBAC, apparently their backlog is around 5 months now + 9 months on ATF after you get your serial number. So my best bet is to find someone with an ultra 9 in stock, to avoid the 5 month production time. I'm actually considering Hansohnbrothers.com (they give you better pricing if you are a snipershide member) and then form 3 it to pantel in Renton for $50... unless I can find a local place with one in stock.

Thanks for advice about trusts, I didnt know wife/son wouldnt be allowed to even open the safe... will definitely get one now.

That should work. Pantel uses silencershop so see if they can put it through silencershop to make it easier.

NFA items are kinda sketchy in that way with not being a trust. Technically if someone else drove you to the range and you guys stopped to eat on the way back and left your suppressor in his car while you’re eating it’s in their possession and a felony. Probably won’t get charged for it but it’s honestly the best idea to do a trust then add your family once you get the stamp back.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm totally ignorant with this trust stuff, but didn't WA just recently do something that required a change to language or something in trusts? Would that $129 trust from SS cover that?

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]