Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Advice & guidance - Interested in shooting sports 

I'm really interested in trying out new shooting sports, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information on the www. I'm having trouble getting any clear guidance.

I live in Federal Way, WA, but I'm willing to travel a bit. The biggest challenge I'm facing is that I'm not available on Sundays and it looks like many matches I'm finding are only on Sundays.

I'm willing to shoot any type of competition. I just want to refine my skills and have a fun time.

Where and when can I go?

Do I just show up and pay the fee, or is there an initiation and qualification step needed first?

Any help and guidance you could provide would be very appreciated.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Easy start is to attend one of the many “matches” or steel plate challenges near you. Like Federal Discount Gun indoor range has something every Tuesday and Wednesday.

http://federalwaydiscountguns.com/

Also check out other indoor ranges for different days and also different platforms. Not just pistol, some have rifle and shotgun as well.

It is daunting to get involved and each have their own specific rules. Fundamentals are key. Some will require a holster and some won’t. You will just shoot from low Ready.

If you are truly interested in competing eventually.... check out the folks at Powerfactor Show. Their earlier podcast goes over all the equipment, safety rules etc.
https://m.facebook.com/powerfactorshow/

If you want to see a match for IDPA/USPSA
Check out Renton Fish and Game Club. http://www.rfgc.org and see their schedule. Cost nothing to watch. You may have to sign a waiver.

FYI - IDPA matches are typically on Saturday at RFGC

The basics - IDPA - you show up early, sign in, waiver, pay and do the safety brief prior to the match.
USPSA - you have to check with each club to find out who, what and where for new shooter safety check. You typically can’t do it day of a match.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costs nothing to go watch a match. find one, go, and ask questions, you'll find lots of great people who will help you with info.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most uspsa matches are on sundays.
There is a tuesday night uspsa match at paul bunyan.
The steel matches are fun, most ranges have a steel match.
Saturday is usually idpa, check renton fish & game and paul bunyan.
Here's the link for our uspsa section, lots of good info.
http://northwestsection.org/

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:57 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

We have ASI matches on Saturdays at Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club.
http://www.svrifle.org/action-pistol.html
It is a great place to start shoot on the move type environment.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LikesGunsALot wrote:
I'm really interested in trying out new shooting sports, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information on the www. I'm having trouble getting any clear guidance.

I live in Federal Way, WA, but I'm willing to travel a bit. The biggest challenge I'm facing is that I'm not available on Sundays and it looks like many matches I'm finding are only on Sundays.

I'm willing to shoot any type of competition. I just want to refine my skills and have a fun time.

Where and when can I go?

Do I just show up and pay the fee, or is there an initiation and qualification step needed first?

Any help and guidance you could provide would be very appreciated.

I have the same challenge of not being available on Sundays, and a lot of the local matches up here are on Sunday.

GSSF is an option though, if you shoot Glocks. The Skagit indoor range does indoor GSSF matches regularly (every month, 3 months for each series), and we just finished the spring series and will be starting the summer series in July. Come shoot with us if you want, you can choose between Thursday and Saturday evenings. It's pretty low stress and more of just target shooting on a timer than IDPA or USPSA.

There are also the outdoor matches for GSSF which are a bit more like you are probably thinking of for competition shooting. There are a couple in Oregon in early summer, but the closest is Port Townsend on August 3rd and 4th. I have a lot of fun at those matches, and you can win pistols and cash prizes for good performance. I'm hoping to win at least one more category in August to make Master class. I highly recommend trying it out if you can.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4th sat of every month is a speed steel match at the Upper Nisqaully Sportman Club.

$15, three gun limit. 8 am. Great easy laid back group of folks. Its always something different.

Get a shotgun and shoot trap with s on Friday nights also.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]