Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Intro to competitive shooting 

I’m thinking about trying to go to more organized competitions to build my skills. Anyone know how expensive it is to get into things like the plate shoots or 3 gun? I don’t need the top of the line gear by any means but like how expensive it is to just be involved in it in general.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well what do you have now?

Gun, holster, number of magazines, ammo
Do you have a bag, glasses, hearing protection?

Depending on where and how deep you want to go... will kind of get an idea of cost.

Do you drive a KIA or Porsche? Kind of gives us an idea of what you like to spend... lol

I am going to assume a few things (since I have nothing to work with at this point). You have a gun and maybe 2 mags.

You can go cheap... maybe invest in another mag or two, case of ammo and maybe a holster or not. $100

Not all places will require a holster. Maybe just have a case and shoot from low Ready when it’s your turn.

Moderate: buy at least 3-6 mags, good holster, belt, mag holster etc. $300?

Top tier - new gun with a bunch of mags etc. $1500 - $3500

I will say you have lots of opportunities at local indoor ranges - most have some type of practice steel plate shoots. ASI is a good starting point for some avenues of competitive shooting. I understand they have a few locations around Puget Sound. Look at local clubs for what they have near you.

The formal competitive sites have a wealth of info - both national and local level. IDPA and USPSA. ASI and just google steel plate challenges and then specific indoor ranges for their offerings.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoot plates, .22lr, no holster (but 5 mags saves time). The setups are finite, so you can study/practice them and shoot them more than once in your career.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can always go watch first.

You can do that as soon as possible...it will keep the flame burning, and you can see how different things work for different people.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:06 pm

@oldkim

I have a Frankenstein AR, lots of mags for it. The other competitive gun would be my Canik TP9 but only 2 mags for that.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The easiest sport to get into first and squares away a lot of fundamentals is steel challenge. Renton and Paul Bunyan have steel events onces a month. You really don't need anything in particular, just a gun of some type, ammo and enough mags to shoot 5 strings at 5 steel targets.

The next sport that will get you moving around and doing reloads is ASI. There's an ASI event at just about every range now.

Don't buy gear whatever you do unless you've shot at least 6 matches.

There aren't many sports that use the AR beyond 3 gun, but that's a relatively advanced shooting sport. The TP9 is an awesome gun, you could comfortably do ASI with it. Steel challenge too if you pick up a mag or two.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So are you looking for some 3 gun action? You will need a shotgun.

Well, next is sort of is more on the lines of do you have a holster - one that can be easily reholster your fun one handed? Not something comfy and soft where it collapses after you draw because most will require reholstering.

So get a few more mags. Now some matches are .22 and that’s a good way to ease into the competition side of things as ammo is cheaper (especially now).

Kind of describe if you will where you see yourself - what level? Like something on the lines of USPSA Grand Master (on TV). Or is it more self defense or just having fun or all the above.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:01 pm

@oldkim
Self defense and fun. I don’t have funds to throw down for a shotgun but I’ll have to look into what ranges offer. May be fun

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DJA425 wrote:
@oldkim

I have a Frankenstein AR, lots of mags for it. The other competitive gun would be my Canik TP9 but only 2 mags for that.

I just did two days of Training with Cerberus group and Adventure protection with a "Frankenstein" AR-15 and a Canik TP9SFx. As long as your AR runs you will be fine to get started. The Canik will run so you are good on the Pistol side too. You just need more Mags. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So now we have more to work with.

So onto what days will work for you? Can you do a Tuesday night? 5-9pm?

West Coast Armory has a Pistol League (aka Action Pistol). $15 every week
You are in Bothell so both West Coast in Factoria or the one in West - North in Everett. Check their website for more info.

Or are you looking at weekends only? Renton Fish and Game host IDPA matches $20 every 3rd Sat of each month. First time be there by 9am and goes until about 1-2pm. Officially starts at 10 but you will need to go through the safety check prior to match.

Lots of options. I would suggest looking into ASI - Action Shooting International. Again that’s at RFGC. Next one is next week.

Steel matches and more... lots of options.

Now if you are a fan of cowboy action and dressing up and being a bit more social... http://www.rucascowboys.com/

Check all the options but the easiest and cheapest for you right now would be checking into the action pistol league on Tuesdays at West Coast.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve recently taken the competitive shooting plunge. I started by going to Tuesday Night Pistol League at WCA and shot USPSA rules. It was super fun!!

I’ve been back there a few times now and have also shot my first IDPA match at Renton last month.

What I’ve learned from the experience is:

-run what you brung. There’s not a less judgmental crowd out there as long as you’re safe. If you have an old beater gun and holster, that’s fine. Use it.

-ask around and introduce yourself. Everyone has been really friendly and welcoming

-be prepared to learn. Your first match, you’ll suck. And that’s ok. I’m still in the “don’t DQ phase” of my competitive career. As long as I don’t DQ in a match, I’m happy.

-it’s incredibly fun! I prefer USPSA rules over IDPA, but have had a lot of fun at both games. I’d like to try speed steel sometime too. At the end of the day, you’ll be grinning ear to ear.

Edit: one more to add...it helps taking a defensive pistol class at some point. I took one a few years back and got some good drawing and reloading fundamentals that set me up well for competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having fun is a super- hack for learning, competition is fun.
A by-product of competition is that you will improve your gun handling skills. The main benefit is the most important one, you will improve your ability to think while shooting: make a plan, shoot the plan (and deal with the un-planned), then evaluate how you did per plan. Rinse, repeat.
You cannot improve what you do not measure. Competition is one measure of how well you are practicing what you learned in training class.
It's also a step on the road of stress-innoculation.
These things matter more than where you start, just do it.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
...I’m still in the “don’t DQ phase” of my competitive career. As long as I don’t DQ in a match, I’m happy...

Additional recommended goals in descending order of importance (IMO):
zero ND
zero DQ
zero Penalties
match-over-match improvement in speed/accuracy goals
...don't try to go faster untill three matches in a row at >85% accuracy (points possible)
always squad with better shooters than you

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
I’ve recently taken the competitive shooting plunge. I started by going to Tuesday Night Pistol League at WCA and shot USPSA rules. It was super fun!!

Can people just come watch this? Not sure I’m ready to take the plunge myself but I’d love to see what it’s like.

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chich627 wrote:
edogg wrote:

Can people just come watch this? Not sure I’m ready to take the plunge myself but I’d love to see what it’s like.

Always. Just *be sure to check in with the folks running it*, have eye and ear pro, NO loaded weapon on you (cold range), and be prepared to possibly sign paperwork (indoor ranges).

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next