Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 I want to get into this IDPA/USPSA 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi there,

I've been watching vids and doing some research, I really want to give this a go.
I'm a member at Black Diamond Gun Club and Federal Way discount guns, and just tried the steel plate league which was cool. I'm going to continue with that, but would like to find someone here I could learn from and attend a few matches with either IDPA or USPSA.

I have a Springfield Loaded Operator, Sig P226 Enhanced Elite, and a P320 that I'd like to test the waters with.

I live in Kent

pistolpete :alcapone:

NRA Range Safety Officer
Good guy with a gun

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're in the same position I found myself about a year ago. I've really been enjoying it since then. I won't offer any advise on skills but I'll let you know the basics of starting.

Check out http://findshootingmatches.com A local USPSA guy put the calendar on there and you can see when all the local matches are including steel challenge, USPSA, three gun etc. Next USPSA is next Sunday at Paul Bunyan in Puyallup. Renton Fish and Game is 4th Sunday. I'm pretty sure Black Diamond does it Thursday nights but I have not tried that one.

You need a safety check before they will allow you to shoot. If you know what match you want to go to you can generally set up a safety check before it starts or separately a day or 2 before. If you wanted to do Paul Bunyan next weekend they should be able to give you a check Friday afternoon or at 9 am before the match starts. Safety checks need to pre coordinated. If you know your timeline when you want to shoot I could help find you a check.

If you are shooting steel halfway proficiently, I would just go straight into shooting a match. Just take it slow and enjoy it. Everyone is there to help regardless of if your a grandmaster or a beginner. Just be safe and willing to learn. You can start off with as little equipment as a belt, holster, and 3-4 magazines. More if shooting single stack or revolver. I wouldn't buy a ton of stuff until you shoot a few and see what works for others.

Do you have an idea of what class you want to shoot, Production, limited, open etc? Some of these depend on the mods made to the gun or wether it is stock.

I will be shooting Paul Bunyan next weekend so if you want to drive down to Puyallup to see it, let me know. We can arrange a safety check.

If you are a Facebook guy "USPSA-Washington State Shooters" is where a lot of local stuff gets put out.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another idea at Paul Bunyan would be the Pistol Steels match on 3rd Sundays. Might be a nice complement to USPSA. The shooting is done from static position, either low ready or draw from holster. The course of fire is typically four bays. Each bay you get to shoot five separate strings each involving five shots on steel targets of various sizes at various distances.

It's a good challenge involving changes in shooting tempo between large, close-up targets to far targets, to several closely spaced small targets at close to medium distances. Lots of combinations.

Might be a good way to practice more fundamentals without yet having to toss moving and shooting into the mix. So it might be a nice complement to USPSA.

Plus the shooting crew there is all really nice and there is a wide range of shooters from beginners to very fast. There'll be plenty of experienced shooters to help show you the ropes as a newcomer.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Renton is actually doing there ASI match next Saturday as well. My understanding is that falls somewhere between steel and USPSA and you don't need a safety check. Maybe I'll go shoot that one as well.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://asi-usa.org/

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife and I recently got into the pistol sports as abject newbies.

ASI is definitelly the best place to start. You don't need a holster, just be safe and have 2 mags, sometimes 3 depending on capacity of your gun.

When your ready for IDPA or USPSA, then you can get the right OWB hip holster. BladeTech seems fine, Fobus here and there too.

Bring the gun you feel safest handling / most reliable. I wouldn't worry about which "class" you're gun is in yet.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ASI sounds fun. I'm totally down for that.

Pete

NRA Range Safety Officer
Good guy with a gun

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

West coast armory factoria does a Tuesday night pistol league. Goes from 6-9. 1st Tuesday of the month is uspsa, the rest are idpa. I do idpa and uspsa, and some steel.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this.

Yukonjon, great to meet you today, and your two friends at Renton Fish and Game.
I hope we can get together again soon.

I really enjoyed the ASI shoot, I think it's safe to say that I am hooked.

Best,
Pete :alcapone:

NRA Range Safety Officer
Good guy with a gun

Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pete,

Late to the thread... but building "confidence" and "getting hooked" are the key.

Take it slow and have fun. The competition side comes later. There are so many opportunities out there. ASI, Fun Steel, IDPA, USPSA and so many variants of them.

If you ever really want to know... anything about IDPA, USPSA... These guys have it down from equipment to tactics, logistics and competition... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=886

Just know you'll evolve in equipment and gear... start off with what you have and go from there.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pistolpeter1911 wrote:
I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this.

Yukonjon, great to meet you today, and your two friends at Renton Fish and Game.
I hope we can get together again soon.

I really enjoyed the ASI shoot, I think it's safe to say that I am hooked.

Best,
Pete :alcapone:

I didn't get to meet you, but it was definitely a fun shoot today.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]