Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 DNR or federal "able to shoot" borders 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm trying to figure out where the border of places for federal land or Department of Natural resource land starts or ends around washington, as a result which of the areas start and stop for the ability to shoot within them?

The DNR website only shows one place that you can shoot in Tahuya State Forest. Though i know there are more places than that such as the Duvall pit.

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/targetshooting

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried the huntwa map. That map allows you to zoom. Might help with figuring out the boundaries.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

**Following

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe the OnX line of mapping apps allow for viewing of land owner information with their premium subscriptions.
https://www.onxmaps.com/

Different apps geared for back country, off road, and hunting use.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Bubble,

Todd is right about onXmaps app. It's a good one. I use onXHunt app for target shooting. It shows the land owner, how many acres, trails and much more. I put the app on my cell and on the PC. At home I'll search an area for public land and spots that look like they might be shooting pits or open areas. I also use Google Earth to zoom in on Satellite view to see the terrain and get close ups of the spot (onX also has a landscape view). Then I'll place a 'Way Point' on the map as a place I want to go see, and I'll save that map with a 5 or 10 mile radius. On the cell app, I'll call up the saved map when I get close to the forest (still within cell phone signal range), open the saved map, and go Off Line. GPS tracks me as I proceed to the Way Points I had placed on the map. As I go, I see other sites I want to keep track of, so, I'll place a new Way Point along the way. I now have several maps in different forests, with several shooting spots flagged, around WA & OR.

If you only want 1 state for onX, the annual membership should still be about $35/yr. For up to 50 states I think it's something like $99/yr.

As for Federal or State lands, they are the same for target shooting, so, you're good to go (rules are very similar to each other and mostly say the same thing in a few different words). However, there may be a special restriction or two in various forests. Therefore, you'd want to check onX to see which forest you want to visit, and then search for target shooting info in that forest. They won't say much about shooting, and won't give you specific sites to shoot at, but you'll get the general info about their rules. (That kind of effort would be called "Doing your homework" and "Making a reasonable effort to being responsible".)

If it helps, I have an interactive public land target shooting map on the Home page of [url]TrashNoLand.org[/url]. Zoom in to the area you want to go, and if there's a shooter icon there, click on it. You'll get GPS info and a description of the site. (I'm adding more as I learn about places, so, it should get better as time goes on.

There's lots of other info, about shooting on public lands, on the TNL website, so enjoy exploring around and pick up a tip or two.

Have fun, Be safe, and Trash No Land!

Bill

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]