Switch to full style
Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Re: Info for Shooting on Public Lands

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:12 am

MADrtcw wrote:We need to get you linked up with the forest service as well. I'm planning on getting back into the mix next year with cleans and all, i just had way to much going on this year.

Yeah I wish I were retired! Still, even with a full time other job, I was able to put on several events in all the forests around the Portland Metro area and stretched out to do cleanups as far down South as Sisters & Medford Oregon. Connected with more USFS & BLM offices who are very supportive of what we're doing. Met a lot of good shooter people in those areas who are willing to chip in.

Cleanups aren't the solution to the problem, but they are a big part of helping to save places from closing and showing user support for recreational sport shooting. I like to continue as many cleanups as I can, but, I'm also focused on finding, promoting and implementing solutions to help improve all aspects of public land shooting.

This next year I'll be doing a lot more in Washington State with DNR, USFS & BLM. They love it when we get involved and show ownership and stewardship in our public lands. They are less likely to close places if we get actively involved.

For this winter, I'm working on in-house stuff like planning for next year, a couple more visits with agencies and I need to get on trying to do a little fundraising for next years budget. So, the clean up schedule will resume next Spring.

I'm keeping an eye out for any WaGuns sponsored cleanups and plan to help promote and attend. Would love to Co-sponsor too.

Thanks for the note, Mad. Merry Christmas and enjoy the season!

Bill

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:42 am

Unpacking Safety (in Public Land Target Shooting).

It's more than just gun safety.

http://trashnoland.blogspot.com/2019/11/unpacking-safety-in-public-land-target.html

After Party 3-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:05 am

Sunday Morning Chuckles!

Son & I getting our Blues Bros' on!
#TargetShooterMafia!

Blues Bros Milk Jugs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:54 am

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :thumbsup2:

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:11 pm

I just got an approval to improve another dispersed shooting lane in the Santiam State Forest, just East of Salem Oregon. It's managed by the Oregon Dept of Forestry. This will be our 2nd shooting lane improvement with ODF and it's great to see it happening in a different forest (Tillamook State Forest, managed by ODF, was the first forest to do it).

This is a 2 lane project, in one location, at a decommissioned gravel pit. We get a 100 yard lane and a 50 yard lane. I'm currently in the process of applying for an NRA grant to cover the costs. Deadline in Dec 3rd, so it's balls out to get the application completed with all the cost estimates, letters of support, specs and details.

This is the kind of improvements I'm working on with WA DNR. Tahuya State Forest looks like the first one that will happen. With the new Corporate Recreation Manager, Leah Dobey, it just may happen sooner than later. Just takes some prodding to push it along. But I'm working on it, along with the help of a great supporter of target shooting in the Tahuya, and we're getting closer! She's really good to work with and not negative at all.

I proposed, to DNR, that we do some basic improvements that will enhance the shooting experience, attract users to this location (which eases the pressure on other dispersed locations), and provide a safer place where it's easy to comply with state rules. Cost for the initial improvements would be minimal and we can always come back to add more features in the future. I'm trying to keep it simple and low cost to encourage them to bite the bullet and get started with lane improvements, yet, keep dispersed shooting open as the rules say.

This is an example of what we're doing in the Santiam. Pretty simple, however, the 96 foot wide main backstop berm will be the biggest cost. At least we don't have any grading and lane gravel work to do because it's already a nice flat graveled surface to work with. The 2nd lane is a 50 yard berm in front of a hill and will be set up to be 12 feet wide and 8 feet high.

The NRA grant is our best option for this kind of a project, as it's not a federal grant and we don't have to be concerned with the feds' requirements for environmental studies and such.

Butte Creek J Barrier_Berms East facing.jpg

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:11 am

You can make an impact in promoting responsible shooting sports on public lands by sponsoring the production of our information pamphlet "Target Shooting On Public Land".

This pamphlet includes common rules for shooting on State and Federal lands, Shooters Ethics, Safety tips and ideas for a better shooting experience.

Help us educate, inform and unite the recreational shooting community while we benefit our public lands! Give $25, $50, $100 or more to help get this information to shooters throughout the Northwest. We distribute all year round.

Trash No Land is a 501(c)3 Charitable organization.

Thank you!

Bill Cogley
CEO/President
#SterardshipInRecreationalShooting, #StewardshipKeepsItOpen, #TrashNoLand, #CleanUpToShoot!

brochurescan 1-2.JPG

brochurescan 1-4.JPG

brochurescan 1-1.JPG

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:07 pm

A $25 donation sponsors 89 brochures. 

A $50 donation produces 179.

$100 will get brochures into the hands of 280 people. 

The more volume we order, the cheaper our cost and the more brochures we deliver. 

Thank you

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:01 am

Sunday Morning Chuckles

Blues Bros Get a life.jpg

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:02 pm

A day in the woods with Dad! Story from my son Timothy Cogley.

"We stopped to talk to a family that was enjoying some target practice on a few nearby stumps... Am I in trouble?”

https://trashnoland.blogspot.com/2019/12/a-college-kids-report-of-day-in-woods.html

Bill DNR Sign Mt Hood 1200.jpg

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:34 am

Sunday Morning Chuckles!

Marry or Shoot.jpg

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Solution.jpg

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:30 am

Sunday Morning Chuckles!

Blues Bros John Belushi.jpg

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Broken glass is a hazard to people and wildlife. Not good for the environment at all. Never shoot glass! Not even ornaments! You'll get a citation for that.

Christmas Ornaments.jpg

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:13 pm

20,020 IN 2020!!!

Information for Target Shooters.

http://trashnoland.org/2020tnl_flyer_program.html

Cover Graffic.jpg

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 am

To you we send our best wishes for a Happy New Year!

May your Mags be plenty
and your Ammo boxes full,

May your Sights be well tuned
and Zeroed on your Targets,

May your Muzzle traverse in a safe direction,

May you hit the Bulls-eye in all you aim for,

May your Trigger Finger be calm in all situations,

And when you have a bad day,
and can't even get on paper,
pick your Brass up off the ground
and adjust your sights.

Above all... May the Forest be with you!

Bill

Ring in new year Happy.jpg
Post a reply