Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Best places to plink / shoot steel on Eastside? 

Feel free to share a link if this is a FAQ, but I'm a newbie here and am looking for places where I can enjoy plinking or shooting steel with 22 LR, 9mm and possibly my 12 GA. Are there any ranges or convienent places on the Eastside that will let me bring stuff in so I can enjoy some plinking (think Hickok45's - especially his Benelli M4 Chapter 2 review).

I grew up plinking and haven't been able to in over 25 years, so I'm looking forward to find a good source near the Issaquah / Renton area ideally, or on federal forest land.

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ron,
Welcome to WaGuns!

There's a range map link at top center of this page (assuming you're on a desktop browser).

Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club is not too far from Issaquah (just down the road from Snoqualmie Falls), and I believe they're taking new memberships again. There's a 200 yard rifle range, and a 50(?) yard pistol range right next to it. We've been members for years and like it's laid back style (no RSO, no extra fees, just shooting lanes). There's also a convenient spot to throw clays if you want to exercise your shotgun(s).

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 am
Profile WWW

Thanks David! I'll consider that as I see they are also open Mon & Tues where both of the ranges where I'm a member now are closed those days.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:02 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ron, your question is a GREAT one. Who doesn't want to make ping, ping, ping with their toys?! Unfortunately though, it can be tough to find.

As David said, SVRC is a great range. They have steel at the 200-yard line; here's a recent Facebook post with a photo: https://www.facebook.com/svrifle/posts/4555356641148621
So THAT is super-cool, but with the three guns you mentioned, it's probably not going to do you much good. And, they don't allow you to bring your own steel targets.

Renton Fish & Game Club (last I heard) has a steel target at the 200-yard line also. I'm not sure if you need to be a member to use it, but you need to shoot a target to prove to the rangemaster that you're competent with a rifle. But again, that probably won't help with your three guns. At Renton, you can become a member, and become an RSO, and get qualification to use their action bays, and bring your own steel targets there or use some of what they have -- and that is a place where you could use your three guns. However, there's a lot of "paperwork" between here and there.

Cascade in Ravensdale is a beautiful range, and they let you bring your own steel once you've had the targets approved. However, membership involved a multi-year wait, and last I heard you can't even get on the waiting list. So, that's kind of a bust too.

Bad news all around, I know.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:16 pm

MadPick wrote:
Ron, you question is a GREAT one. Who doesn't want to make ping, ping, ping with their toys?! Unfortunately though, it can be tough to find.

As David said, SVRC is a great range. They have steel at the 200-yard line; here's a recent Facebook post with a photo: https://www.facebook.com/svrifle/posts/4555356641148621
So THAT is super-cool, but with the three guns you mentioned, it's probably not going to do you much good. And, they don't allow you to bring your own steel targets.

Renton Fish & Game Club (last I heard) has a steel target at the 200-yard line also. I'm not sure if you need to be a member to use it, but you need to shoot a target to prove to the rangemaster that you're competent with a rifle. But again, that probably won't help with your three guns. At Renton, you can become a member, and become an RSO, and get qualification to use their action bays, and bring your own steel targets there or use some of what they have -- and that is a place where you could use your three guns. However, there's a lot of "paperwork" between here and there.

Cascade in Ravensdale is a beautiful range, and they let you bring your own steel once you've had the targets approved. However, membership involved a multi-year wait, and last I heard you can't even get on the waiting list. So, that's kind of a bust too.

Bad news all around, I know.

Much appreciated! I am actually a member at Renton already, but I just haven't got around to discovering the Action Bay's yet so I'll ask about that. I go there every week, but just to shoot at the pistol range currently. I'm also a member at Issaquah where I've done shotgun target practice, but only on cardboard.

This is great news about the Renton Action Bays - I'll have to ask the next time I'm out there.

Thanks,
Ron

Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]