Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Elbe Hills & Tahoma Forests, 3 Popular Shooting Pits 

The DNR wants to make improvements to the 3 local shooting spots. First they need to change some legal stuff and secure funding which may take a few years.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They've cried 'Wolf' before and nothing ever happened! So I'm not sold on the idea that this will be any different. But, like they always do, 'It sounds good!' At least we have Joe Chavez, Rec Mngr, on our side. He can help us get going once he has the official stamp of approval.

Of the 3 pits we visited, 2 are better than the one in Tahoma. The Tahoma pit could be real good if it weren't for all the hard rock and boulders in the way. There's only one or two small patches of dirt to use as a safe backstop. But the plan would be to remove the hazards, widen it out a little and pile up a bunch of dirt in front of the rock walls. The problem with that is, what if they decide to use that pit again someday for gravel needs! They'd need to decommission it.

The Stoner Pit was the best of the 3. Mostly dirt, fairly wide and good distance up to 130 yards. A little earth moving to push back the first berm and pile up a short pistol berm and that place would be a real good & safe place to shoot.

The Scott Turner pit could also be good for short range shooting, but those boulders need to come out and the hump of dirt at the beginning needs to be leveled out. I could see building up a platform to shoot from so it's not such and up hill lane.

I really enjoyed meeting you guys, Old Growth & xman. Let's hope for the best in DNR's legal changes so we can get some recognition that target shooting should get funding!

Sorry we missed you, Norman89! We had some good conversation!

Bill

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any conversation about the smaller gravel area next to the tahoma pit? There is a group of guys that go in there every other week that bring barricades and barrels and setup a small walk through course utilizing the short dirt berm there as a back stop. Pretty neat the setup they do, I started watching for them because they always left PILES of 9mm brass where there stages were setup. Iv coming out of there on a Sunday with 4000 pieces of 9mm brass in that little area

Also any ideas for cleanup party's in that area?

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't recall talking about that spot. Sounds cool!

If someone wants to pick a date for a cleanup, I'll help promote it and do my best to be there. All 3 of those pits certainly need some attention!

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cleanup & Grouse Hunt scheduled for the Stoner Pit plus other shooting sites in Elbe Hills State Forest. The Washington Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BHA) set it up with DNR and their group, Armed Forces Initiative (AFI), is joining them (active Military service members). Trash No Land is joining them.

We're doing the cleanup in the morning, with lunch provided and lots of great free raffle prizes, and the AFI members do a Grouse hunt in the afternoon with BHA. Trash No Land is honoring our service members with a special free raffle prize.

The thread about this is in the Other Events section; https://www.waguns.org//viewtopic.php?f=60&t=135185

The event notice and information is on Trash No Land Events page; https://www.trashnoland.org/garbage-and-grouse-round-up-elbe-wa/

Attachment:
Cover.jpg

Everyone are welcome! We need a good showing of responsible shooters and sportsmen/women who share our desire to save and improve our places to shoot!

Bill Cogley
Pres Trash No Land

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TNL wrote:
xman wrote:
This is the main Stoner road pit. It was busy before noon. Other shooters went down the road to the ORV trail system and were shooting. The pit closer to Scott Turner road is pretty small, only room for a few people.

In my opinion the dirt piles need to be moved to the back tree line, that would make this a better place to shoot.

Looks like an all around good place to shoot!

I'm sure the ORV people don't like shooting going on in their area, and that's probably why DNR would like us to attract people to these other places. Fewer conflicts are better!

Thanks for the pic! But honestly, I expected to see people laying around, stoned out of their mind! Isn't that how the pit got it's name? Ha!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman
Are you planning on attending the Elbe clean up?
I am planning on attending.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I am Pat. I would have made it up north to yours if I had 2 days of rest instead of 1.
Will be good to see you guys.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Constitution Bat is complete and currently being shipped to Trash No Land!

This $400 bat, #33 and signed, is hand drawn, hand carved and hand finished by current active duty Navy Corpsman, and artist, David Cogley of Northwoods Carving https://northwoodscarving.com/. (My "dog in the fight", is that David is my son! But I still paid full price!)

This will be a special free raffle prize to one active service military member of the AFI (Armed Forces Initiative https://www.backcountryhunters.org/armed_forces ), only at the cleanup event in Elbe Hills State Forest, in Washington State, on Oct 8th, 2022. The AFI is a group within the Washington Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers https://www.backcountryhunters.org/washington. Odds of winning is going to be really really good!!!

Trash No Land appreciates our service members, whether active duty, veteran, wounded or didn't make it home. We love those who are willing to work as a team to protect our freedoms and uphold the Constitution of the United States. So, this is a show of appreciation for their service.

Good luck to one of you, AFI members!

Come join the event! Free BBQ lunch and other Free prizes for all volunteers! Plus we all help to save another good place to shoot!

Event info: Garbage and Grouse Round-up, https://www.trashnoland.org/garbage-and-grouse-round-up-elbe-wa/

Attachment:
Constitution Bat 1.jpg

Attachment:
Constitution Bat 2.jpg

Attachment:
Constitution Bat 3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's pretty darned cool right there. :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that’s incentive enough for recruiting active duty participants, nicely done Bill!!!

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not only are we giving away that Constitution Bat to one of the AFI members, we also have a bunch of prizes for volunteers. Stuff like a $250 certificate for Sitka Gear, a CanCooker, $25 Gift card to Work Sports & Outdoor Store, onX Hunt apps, 556 & 9mm & 22 ammo, American Flag and more.

Post up a note to let us know if you'll be there!

Bill

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2