Switch to full style
Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Mountain Loop Highway

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:38 am

Was planning to take the wife and kiddo on a drive around the Mt Loop Hwy today. Wife, unfortunately, is feeling ill, so we're staying home. Decided I'd like to do it by my lonesome on Tuesday (my one real day off). Going solo means I'll be able to do more exploring of the forest roads, rather than just sticking to the main road.

Looking at the satellite view on Google Maps shows me a handful of spots that look like they'd be suitable for shooting, does anyone know if there are good spots? This is more of a reconnaissance mission than anything, I'll have some rifles, but more looking to find the spots than to actually use them.

Also interested in non-shooting points of interest in the area, great views, ect. ect.

Re: Mountain Loop Highway

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Lost River Winery in Winthrop. Shameless plug :bigsmile:

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Mountain Loop, not Cascade Loop. Mountain Loop Highway goes out from Granite Falls and winds back up in Darrington. Cascade Loop is Hwy 2 over the mountains to Leavenworth, up 153 through Winthrop and Mazama, then Hwy 20 back through Marblemount, Concrete and Sedro-Woolley.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:54 pm

Careful, its now late Blacktail hunting season.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Captain90s wrote:Mountain Loop, not Cascade Loop. Mountain Loop Highway goes out from Granite Falls and winds back up in Darrington. Cascade Loop is Hwy 2 over the mountains to Leavenworth, up 153 through Winthrop and Mazama, then Hwy 20 back through Marblemount, Concrete and Sedro-Woolley.

oops. You're right. Wrong loop.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Jagerbomber35 wrote:Careful, its now late Blacktail hunting season.

One of the reasons that this trip does not have shooting as its primary goal.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Had a great venture along the Mt. View Highway today. Didn't do any shooting, but did come across a couple of decent spots. One shortly before the Sauk river, very close to the main road, and one waaaaay up a forest road that doesn't appear on my atlas, but seems decently maintained. Both spots were remarkably clean, some brass and leftover targets, but nothing serious and no outright trash that I could see. Someone was up there shooting pumpkins haha, and relatively recently.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Do you have an approximate location you could put on google maps?

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Not off the top of my head. I'll do some searching tomorrow on Maps and see if I can find it.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:47 pm

There's a great pit nit too far from the Heather lake trail head. I think nf 4220. it's a ways passed the trail head.

It will be the first bridge after you pass the stores, take the first right turn just after the bridge. Starts as Mt pilshuck road.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:42 am

Looks like FS41 up there needs a major cleanup. If we don't pack stuff out we will get banned.

https://www.king5.com/article/tech/scie ... -b_0_PS_AY

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:16 am

Not to pile on, but Pilchuck is in desperate need of a clean up also, beautiful pit, but full of trash. I am willing and able to participate in clean up efforts.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:37 am

I would also be willing/interested in helping with either of those clean up efforts. I have not done one before so I would not be comfortable organising but more then willing to help.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:56 pm

FSR 4020 heading to Boardman Lk. is a good place.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:07 pm

BP12 wrote:FSR 4020 heading to Boardman Lk. is a good place.

Welcome! :wavey:
Post a reply