Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Cap Forest - Altercations with mountain bikers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi all,

Usually, I go to Cap forest and shoot at this pit here: 47°02'36.4"N 123°10'26.9"W

On my most recent trip, a mountain biker got mad at as for shooting at the pit complaining that it’s close to the trail. We shoot North, bikers are behind us.

Generally, I’d say fuck it and go on with my business but I figured if there’s a better spot in the forest to shoot and not have altercations with others, it would be best.

With that said, can anyone point me out to other parts of the forest that are good to shoot at (cords preferred).

I’m heading out there this Saturday if anyone wants to join! It’ll be me and a buddy of mine. We have two steel plates, some UDPA paper targets, and a clay rack.

Edit: I called DNR and they said they'll be closing down the pit due to the close proximity of biking trails.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are a couple spots on the range map, but DNR is choking down Capitol Forest and directing the shooters to the two large quarries (upper, off of C-Line) and Lower (Triangle Pit). It sucks to hear they are closing the pit closest to Straddleline though. Did they have an ETA on that?

Wed May 23, 2018 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
There are a couple spots on the range map, but DNR is choking down Capitol Forest and directing the shooters to the two large quarries (upper, off of C-Line) and Lower (Triangle Pit). It sucks to hear they are closing the pit closest to Straddleline though. Did they have an ETA on that?

Sad to hear. Really liked the isolated pits. Going to go searching for some pits this weekend.
I asked for an ETA but they said "soon." I asked if I could shoot there this Saturday and they requested I do not.

I have a question, DNR website say:

Capitol State Forest has areas closed to target shooting. No shooting allowed:
-On a 5-mile corridor on the C-Line, starting from D-4000 up to Low Bank Pit.
-On the D-4000 between the C-Line and D-Line.

Does this mean you can't shoot anywhere ON the C-Line or does it mean you can't shoot in the AREA between C-Line and D-4000?

Also, where is the low bank pit they speak of?

Do you know if either of these locations are okay to shoot on? They seem like pits from the satellite images from Google Maps:
46°56'51.1"N 123°11'53.3"W
47°00'36.9"N 123°09'05.4"W

Wed May 23, 2018 2:15 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

We were camping up above Wenatchee about 10 years ago.
Were shooting my newly purchased Dan Wesson .45 into a large slash pile, behind a safe dirt backstop.
10 minutes later a family of dirt bikers came riding up from the opposite direction.
Accused us of shooting at them.
"We were crawling around on the ground with bullets wizzing over our heads!!!, you almost killed us all!!!"
Lying sacks of shit.
Some people just don't want to share the outdoors.

Last edited by Guntrader on Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

All of C is closed, from Sherman Valley road up to the upper pit (low bank pit).

As far as those areas you mapped, the forest is full of those. Sometimes they are active logging areas, roads closed, etc. On the smaller stuff, places that are accessible one day, may be used or closed the next.

Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
All of C is closed, from Sherman Valley road up to the upper pit (low bank pit).

As far as those areas you mapped, the forest is full of those. Sometimes they are active logging areas, roads closed, etc. On the smaller stuff, places that are accessible one day, may be used or closed the next.

I’m a bit confused on the cap forest map. Isn’t C - Line a literal line, or is it any place that has C such as C-100, C2100, etc.

The two places I listed are good to go?

Wed May 23, 2018 3:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any road that has a C is part of C line.

Both of those places you listed are not on the DNR no shooting area. Just watch out for logging activity, it’s a working forest.

Wed May 23, 2018 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a silencer. If other people think shots are in their direction and they are not, a silencer will help reduce the sound and echo effect. They'll think you were shooting pellet guns.

Wed May 23, 2018 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
Get a silencer. If other people think shots are in their direction and they are not, a silencer will help reduce the sound and echo effect. They'll think you were shooting pellet guns.

Hehe if only I could afford a suppressor... and 9 months.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]