Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Knodel vs. WAC - Getting ugly. 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ANZAC wrote:
Does anyone care what WAC says?

John replied to the FB post:

Quote:
This is John Rodabaugh, WAC President here. I asked our Web & Social Media Guy to post the cartoon up after he seemed a bit shy about it. It's not a WAC cartoon, it's been out there for some time, and we just stumbled across it today. That said, it's worth looking at on several levels.

I asked him to put it up for several reasons. First, I thought the cartoon itself was funny - we often take ourselves far to seriously, and it does point out the ridiculousness of anti-gun policies.

Second, I think it's important that we don't bury our head in the sand. We need to pay attention to not only what our anti-gun opponents are doing and saying, but to what our allies (the folks who agree with us on some things, but not everything) are thinking. I believe the artists comments illustrate the battle for hearts and minds we're going to face this fall with the Initiatives. We all know that the best background check in the world is only a snapshot of one moment in time and doesn't even reliably predict behavior minutes later - but many in the gun community and far more in the general public don't have the experience or knowledge to understand that they are both a vast waste of time and money while serving as a form of prior restraint upon a fundamental right.

Third, WAC has been doing voluntary member background checks for nearly 20 years. That's fundamentally different than a mandatory background check required every time someone *transfers* (not sells, but transfers) a firearm.

Finally, I am tired of the peanut gallery eager to ascribe everything from jay-walking to genocide to WAC every time we don't hue to their particular definition of purity - and rushing forth to call WAC names, try and badmouth us to our members and table holders and generally stir up trouble.

I replied:
Quote:
John, there is no question that there are ugly issues with Wes holding a show the same day as WAC, but this cartoon (and included editorial) doesn't do law abiding firearm owners any favors.

We are all trying to fight the good fight, and even spread the word that the FBI reported that LESS THAN 1% of criminals get their guns at gun shows.

This cartoon and editorial makes the play that non-WAC shows are a breeding ground for criminals and criminal activity. We should be banding together here, because if 594 passes, your shows will be affected as well.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good reply, Dan.

I agree, that cartoon is fundamentally anti-gun . . . and we don't need any more of that.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
The WAC is showing true class.

I am an unapologetic non supporter of the WAC due to a number of issues.

The fake WAC "background check" being one of them. It gets done all right - once, when you join.

Pay your membership dues, and if any hiccups with the law happened after you became a member, it's all good.

You can be a felon, and still buy at a WAC show, because you are a member in "good standing".

There is a rumor that a few WAC executive members might have issues in that regard.

Plus, there was the mystery of where the building fund money to build a separate WAC venue went off to a few years back.

It is also less than transparent as to how all funds generated by the WAC are allocated each year.

As for this little episode, it just points to the lack of tact and insecurity the WAC is capable of.

Their membership has been shrinking steadily, and their shows are dominated by big FFL dealers, manufacturers, and other retailers.

Wes Knodel runs shows that remind me of the good old WAC days, when hobby collectors and independent small time vendors were dominant.

It isn't perfect, but it is eclectic, and you are far more likely to score something cool as a result.

It just plain makes for a better gun show.

It also helps that Wes and his staff are just plain nice folks to deal with, too.

OH YEAH, ALMOST FORGOT - EVERY WES KNODEL GUN SHOW FIREARMS TRANSACTION REQUIRES A SALES RECEIPT WITH WASHINGTON DRIVERS LICENSE ID, SERIAL NUMBER, AND DESCRIPTION OF THE FIREARM BEING PURCHASED.

That, to my mind, is better than a one time only "background check".

WAC is shaking in their boots, and flinging poo into the wind.

They made their bed, and now they have to lay in it for better, or for worse.

The wind is starting to turn, and I feel that they will end up wearing a lot of poo in the face as a result.

+ 1

I've lived here since 2009...I've gone to two WAC shows - they were both pathetic (except for the hospitality at the WAGuns table!). The amount of money that disappears into the hands of the WAC executives should be repulsive to anyone who considers themselves a fiscal conservative.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't sign in to post, but John Rodabaugh is trying to play a game he can only win via oppression of the facts. He can complain all he wants about people "badmouthing" WAC, but when he pulls little stunts like this, it's like smoking at an oil refinery and whining about losing his eyebrows.

John, if you're reading......be a man and either pull that cartoon down or be honest about your true intentions. You're becoming transparent and it's not looking good to those who can see right through your crap.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John Rodabaugh single handed fucked the show so bad it is where it is today.
He welcomed in Washington State D.O.R. to a private CLUB.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
John Rodabaugh single handed fucked the show so bad it is where it is today.
He welcomed in Washington State D.O.R. to a private CLUB.

Failing to keep small hobby tables where you find unusual stuff is another huge failure.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for them to stoop down this low, and try to put a spin on it as just funny is outrageous...

I have many times considered renewing my WAC membership, but seriously if the T-dome shows become a regular show, I'll probably go there instead...

WAC knows this and for a long time the monopoly was fine.. but now that there is competition, they realize their revenue will suffer...

It would be nice if people at the WAC report back on how many people showed up there.. probably not going to be even close...

but to be honest, the sheriff taking OR CPL's at the t-dome swayed me there if I was ever on the fence on going..

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But...

I've been to numerous Wes Knodel shows and not only walked away empty handed, but also shaking my head and wondering why I just wasted X amount of time....

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:10 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

dan360 wrote:
I can't sign in to post, but John Rodabaugh is trying to play a game he can only win via oppression of the facts. He can complain all he wants about people "badmouthing" WAC, but when he pulls little stunts like this, it's like smoking at an oil refinery and whining about losing his eyebrows.

John, if you're reading......be a man and either pull that cartoon down or be honest about your true intentions. You're becoming transparent and it's not looking good to those who can see right through your crap.

For all the (genuinely) hurt feelings and anger and acrimony - Can you imagine what it would be like if he stood up, gave an honest apology, a retraction and said something like "I let profit over ride decency. I am very sorry."

If it happens I'll probably feel better about him as a man than I do about folks who've never crossed me / us...

The ability for a grown man or woman to give genuine reflection and make amends for their own poor choices is so rare - and it hurts EVERYone that we're built this way.

Damned shame.

Pull the cartoon down and be honest.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

XDM9cWA wrote:
for them to stoop down this low, and try to put a spin on it as just funny is outrageous...

I have many times considered renewing my WAC membership, but seriously if the T-dome shows become a regular show, I'll probably go there instead...

WAC knows this and for a long time the monopoly was fine.. but now that there is competition, they realize their revenue will suffer...

It would be nice if people at the WAC report back on how many people showed up there.. probably not going to be even close...

but to be honest, the sheriff taking OR CPL's at the t-dome swayed me there if I was ever on the fence on going..

Yeah - the OR CHL thing is huge...but I just don't like the way that WAC handles itself - the constant rumor mill and drama about back room deals and all the money floating around is ugly. Throw in the DOR issue, Beanie Babies and other garbage at a "gun" show and now this childish nonsense - screw them...I hope the Tacoma Dome shows become a regular event. I will go on a consistent basis.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
.I hope the Tacoma Dome shows become a regular event. I will go on a consistent basis.

if this show is a success and I believe it will be just based on what rencorp has posted, I am sure it will be a regular... the question is how often.. probably quarterly to start and more often down the road...

but I think the demand for a quarterly show is there..

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

uwdawgs wrote:
But...

I've been to numerous Wes Knodel shows and not only walked away empty handed, but also shaking my head and wondering why I just wasted X amount of time....

Sounds like the last WAC show I went to.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm a WAC member, but the posting of that cartoon is a shitty enough move that I would boycott the Puyallup show and go solely to the Tacoma show . . . if I was in town that day at all.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

MadPick wrote:
I'm a WAC member, but the posting of that cartoon is a shitty enough move that I would boycott the Puyallup show and go solely to the Tacoma show . . . if I was in town that day at all.

Do the folks in charge at WAC see this as only a business venture?
Can a member of WAC have an influence in changing the competitive culture, if that is the root of this?

I don't mean by waiting until the next election, being nominated, winning, and then influencing the "board." Are the folks in charge amenable to a little conference?

Heck, I'd sell my mother down the river if she was anti-Rights. Fortunately she is not, so no fear there.
But I mean to say that the support of the right to keep and bear arms is so fundamental to liberty that I'd bankrupt my own group and company and go hungry before I voted FOR more gun control.

This reminds me of two resistance groups fighting a more powerful common enemy (I am thinking of the civil war in Syria) and because of a disagreement on a smaller issue, one of the two groups turns on the other and murders their allies.

Well this little BS of agreeing with and posting (maybe even sponsoring) the cartoon is almost identical. It makes me quite a bit less hopeful for liberty...
Folks running WAC are this blind to the big picture? That hurts, man.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Folks running WAC are this blind to the big picture? That hurts, man.

It's all about the money.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next