Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:04 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 5/6 - Tac. City Council on Gun Shows 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tonight at 5pm, the Tacoma City Council will have their weekly meeting. On the agenda tonight is Gun Show Background Checks.

Here is the resolution they are trying to pass (download): http://cityoftacoma.legistar.com/gatewa ... 3db37f.pdf

Also, here is the memorandum (donwload): http://cityoftacoma.legistar.com/gatewa ... 3db37f.pdf

Think somebody should inform them about preemption?

Tue May 06, 2014 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Money talks right? From the first PDF....

Quote:
The show had over 6200 in attendance for the two day show. Police officers posted on site for the
duration reported no incidents. Net revenue from the show to the Tacoma Dome was $45,000 which
included a discounted inaugural rent. Economic impact of the show to the City was $1.1 million, as
detennined by the Tacoma Regional Convention & Visitors Bureau. The show promoter has asked to
book shows in November 2014 and February, April, September and December of 2015, for which
anticipated net proceeds to the Tacoma Dome would be $55,000 per show (incorporating an increased
rent) for a total of $275,000.

That's a lot of cash....

Tue May 06, 2014 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This idiocy would kill the show. Any vendor not holding an FFL would not attend due to the lack of ability to run a background check.

Or, the cost in time and dollars to get an FFL to do it - and then, the tax implication rears it's ugly head on private purchases.

Fee Fi Foo Fum, I smell a dirty WAC bum here. This reeks of the same smear campaign rhetoric they waged before, during, and after the Tacoma gun show.

Can a non resident of Tacoma speak out at a council meeting against this kind of hysterical knee jerk law making ?

I sure wouldn't mind having a well reasoned calm deliberate statement of fact delivered to refute some of the stupid in this piece of legal hog wash.

Like Olydemon points out, a lot of revenue for the city of Tacoma to put at risk here.

It would likely result in one more show that crashed and burned due to economic reality due to lack of participation, and then it would be done.

WAC would be happy, but that is it.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tue May 06, 2014 10:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
This idiocy would kill the show. Any vendor not holding an FFL would not attend due to the lack of ability to run a background check.

Or, the cost in time and dollars to get an FFL to do it - and then, the tax implication rears it's ugly head on private purchases.

Fee Fi Foo Fum, I smell a dirty WAC bum here. This reeks of the same smear campaign rhetoric they waged before, during, and after the Tacoma gun show.

Can a non resident of Tacoma speak out at a council meeting against this kind of hysterical knee jerk law making ?

I sure wouldn't mind having a well reasoned calm deliberate statement of fact delivered to refute some of the stupid in this piece of legal hog wash.

Like Olydemon points out, a lot of revenue for the city of Tacoma to put at risk here.

It would likely result in one more show that crashed and burned due to economic reality due to lack of participation, and then it would be done.

WAC would be happy, but that is it.

Yes...I agree with your assessment. It's funny - I guarantee 95% of WAC would claim they resent government intervention and they consider themselves conservative or libertarian. This is so hypocritical.

Tue May 06, 2014 11:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many dealer FFLs were there? I recall there were 12 non-dealers...

Tue May 06, 2014 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:

No, that was based on who originally rented the tables...my understanding was those tables were then resold to other non-dealers and private sellers.

Tue May 06, 2014 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

No, that was based on who originally rented the tables...my understanding was those tables were then resold to other non-dealers and private sellers.

There was a metric shit ton of private sellers. I will try to get concrete numbers to post here.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tue May 06, 2014 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok. My concern is they think they can get around state preemption by not making it a "law or ordinance", but having a policy of not renting the dome or other facilities to gun shows unless they require background checks.

Will they have a live video feed of the meeting?

Tue May 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:

There was a metric shit ton of private sellers. I will try to get concrete numbers to post here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NOOOoooo!

All I get is "Hey! I'm peeing in here!"

"Peace is the brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."

Tue May 06, 2014 1:10 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

SIG556 wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

:rofl9:

Sig, your calling is either "stand up comedy" or posting pics and comments on the interwebz.

I hope Dan, Steve and Brandon are paying you well for this. :cheers2:

Tue May 06, 2014 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bottom line, is that some rational factual voices should remind the mayor that the gun lobby is big.

It is composed of voters, generates business and tax revenue, and can support both her city and her re-election - or not.

Like the elephant, gun owners have long memories come voting day.

BE ON NOTICE:

Tue May 06, 2014 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I hope Dan, Steve and Brandon are paying you well for this. :cheers2:

Unfortunately, they kinda view me like this:

NOOOoooo!

All I get is "Hey! I'm peeing in here!"

"Peace is the brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."

Tue May 06, 2014 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Live broadcast now:
http://www.cityoftacoma.org/government/ ... cmeetings/

(scroll down and click "view event")

Looks like it is way down the agenda.... some be prepared to listen to a bunch of other stuff.

Tue May 06, 2014 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some crazy old lady who says she is representing some neighborhood ("and WAGR") is rambling on about guns in libraries, open carry.
BOOM two minutes and she mentioned Newtown.

Mental health worker is concerned about "unregulated buying and selling of guns"

Avid "trap shooter" who says Puyallup show requires BG checks, so why not at the Dome?

OK, no one spoke against the resolution.

Last edited by ANZAC on Tue May 06, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue May 06, 2014 4:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may be way down the agenda, but the public commentary is happening now - I just finished listening to some old prune who thinks gun control is the second coming of Christ go on a verbal tirade.

Fun stuff - not.

Hoping to see a few pro gun speakers.

BE ON NOTICE:

Tue May 06, 2014 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next