Switch to full style
Show off your arsenal. Got a great pic of your collection? A work in progress? Need to show off? You found the right place.
Post a reply

Re: The devil made me do it...

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:59 am

laneends wrote:Yes it says to use cowboy loads... The cylinder is fairly short, but I imagine anything that has a short enough O.A.L. is probably safe enough... Cylinder is hell bent for stout (no flutes/and 5 shots instead of six).

Nice guns! Please do a mini review of the LeMat.

Cowboy loads on the Colt, yes.
The weakness of the design is not having a top strap with the barrel being held on (and gap adjusted by) the wedge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLhc-UjuDRs

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:12 pm

^ What he said.

The length of the cartridge is not related to its pressure. And the weak point is probably the frame of the gun, not the cylinder.

Stick to cowboy loads....

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:20 pm

There is nothing weak about a revolver that does not have a solid back strap. I have used my Uberti Walker for bear season. 60 grains of pyrodex will get it done. You have a start of black powder.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:51 pm

hartcreek wrote:There is nothing weak about a revolver that does not have a solid back strap. I have used my Uberti Walker for bear season. 60 grains of pyrodex will get it done. You have a start of black powder.

I said "top strap", not "back strap".
Once the solid frame Remington came along, the Army didn't accept any more revolvers with open tops.
Colt tried a factory cartridge conversion in the 1871-1872 but it was rejected as being too weak of a design even in the anemic .44 Henry Rimfire.
So they came out with the 1873 Single Action Army, with a top strap.
Post a reply