Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 44 Magnum Appreciation and Picture Thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll start by saying that I love the .44 Magnum....it is a do all caliber in my book. It can take any game in North America, it can be used for target practice with 44 special loads and is one helluva home defense round.
It is also the first center fire handgun cartridge I ever fired, I think I was around 10. My Father owned (still owns) a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Then of course there is Dirty Harry.....I own all 5 movies

So anyway I figured we needed a thread dedicated to the .44 Magnum

This was my first .44 Magnum I bought. A Super Redhawk 7.5" barrel, bought it new in the box at a gun show, I installed these Hogue grips with the padded back strap, makes it much more comfortable to shoot.

My next .44 Mag was this Winchester model 94 Trapper. 16" barrel, saddle ring, walnut stock....it has the cross bolt safety, but that doesn't really bother me. I also bought this NIB from a gun show

Another gun show find was this Ruger .44 Carbine, this one was made in late 1964, I really fell in love with it after shooting it...you cannot miss

Then I bought this S&W model 629 at a gun show for cheap, it had some corrosion, but was mechanically in good shape....I ended up trading it off, something I regret now

I found this Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk at a gun show for cheap, 10 1/2" barrel.....it needed a rebluing.....so I took care of that, the frame turned plum, which is typical of Rugers and Dan Wessons due to the nickel in the alloy. Then I installed some custom walnut grips.

Then I bought this S&W model 629-3 Classic Hunter for a reasonable price at a gun show...couldn't pass it up. This gun has it all, .500" target hammer, .400 grooved target trigger, unfluted cylinder, 6" full underlug barrel, the "Endurance Package", no lock, no MIM parts, no laser engravings (all roll marks). It was made in 1990, a run of only 2000 like this.

The last one I bought from a member here, a Marlin model 1894 with a 20" barrel, it is an older one made in North Haven in 1975

So that is my collection, I still want to add a Dan Wesson 44, a Colt Anaconda, a Timberwolf rifle, Desert Eagle......maybe a Vulcan, hell maybe even a Llama Super Commanche...

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Casey this is a great thread. Really like the Blackhawk pic.

Used to have a Super Blackhawk stainless with 7.5" bbl in my twenties. Was the 2nd gun I purchased as an adult (after a Smith 686-3) and used to shoot the heck out of that gun. Was a hoot and likely need to buy another one soon to replace it.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I "rescued" this from a pawn shop in the early 90's gathering dust and I'm sure frequent handling for a couple of years in the display case. It's been shot unfortunately but is still smooth and tight.
Elmer Keith Commemorative .44 Mag Model 29-3

Last edited by bullittman on Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

629-5 I gave to my son for Christmas

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here’s my dynamic .44 Mag duo:

Rossi M92 Stainless & Ruger Super Redhawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must be am a wuss. I have never had any fun shooting full power .44 mag loads. I've got a POS Taurus .454 Casull I can shoot all day long, no trouble,.308 singleshot pistol, 1/2 day no problem. Any .44 mag revolver...1 cylinder, thank you very much. I can't totally explain my aversion. It isn't strictly recoil. I think the combination of noise, muzzle blast and recoil just shatters the time-space continuum after a few shots.

Now .357 mag, that's a whole 'nuther story. I have a half dozen of 'em and wants 'smore! :bigsmile:

Nice looking guns guys. :thumbsup2:

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
I must be am a wuss. I have never had any fun shooting full power .44 mag loads. I've got a POS Taurus .454 Casull I can shoot all day long, no trouble,.308 singleshot pistol, 1/2 day no problem. Any .44 mag revolver...1 cylinder, thank you very much. I can't totally explain my aversion. It isn't strictly recoil. I think the combination of noise, muzzle blast and recoil just shatters the time-space continuum after a few shots.

Now .357 mag, that's a whole 'nuther story. I have a half dozen of 'em and wants 'smore! :bigsmile:

Use 44 spl until you reach puberty lol.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Traut wrote:

Use 44 spl until you reach puberty lol.

Apparently you missed the wuss part. :shush:

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some .44M love.

629-3 Classic 5" (now wearing some comfy X frame Hogues)

29-8 Mountain Gun

629-2 Mountain Revolver

Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:18 pm

My Dan Wesson 744 8V. Shooting 240gr mag loads are not bad, a 305gr bear load feels like a 240gr out of s&w 629 and I still want to try the buffalo bore 340gr++'s.

The only thing better is a Dan Wesson 445 supermag which will also shoot the .44 mag.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my only 44 right now ...
It's a 629-1 chopped to 3 3/8" it's been converted to round butt, fixed sights, custom hammer, ready nice trigger job, bead blasted frame, polished cylinder .... It is a great woods gun and a heck of a good shooter. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pieces!

Not surprised by the number of S&Ws,. but where are all the Rugers?

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NICE!

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next