Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Almost M24: East Meets West 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the 15th of January I sent two rifles to Black Hammer Arms for professional refinishes, one was the AKS74 we all know and love (which got Cerakote) and the other was my R700 ADL in .308. It got a bit more of a specialty touch courtesy of some friends abroad sending stencils for Dana to play with, and I couldn`t be happier with the results.

The camouflage pattern is an old Sovet type, formally it`s referred to as "KLMK", but in most circles it it "Berezka". Some debate exists about whether KLMK refers to the white variant (replacing the gold/mustard yellow with white) and Berezka referring to the gold variant, but there is little concrete information on it. The pattern dates to the 1970s, and was one of the first digital patterns. It`s still popular in some foreign military units as well.

The plan for this rifle is to affix a 1-piece scope mount to replace the factory 2-piece (looking at the EGW model) and add a nice scope in the 2-7 magnification range. I`m looking hard at the Vortex Crossfire II in that magnification, but I`d much prefer a 30mm tube. I`m also intending to go for a larger bolt knob, but that will wait until the scope is affixed and good to go. Anyways, I promised Dana plenty of pictures and promotion, so this is where I begin.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice camo.

Your range lawn meeds - mowing - with a chainsaw.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
Nice camo.

Your range lawn meeds - mowing - with a chainsaw.

Thank you!

And you`re welcome to come help. :wink05:

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey now, you all are the guy covered in anger and broken glass - just roll around out there for an hour or so.

Problem solved ! Heh heh heh.

And, seriously the camo is stellar in doing it's job effectively.

Nice work by Dreadi and the stencil brigade.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:55 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Nice looking rifle! A couple recommendations:

-Get the KRG bolt lift. Having the bolt handle threaded is expensive
-Swap out the 2 piece base for a 1 piece(as you mentioned). The Farrell 20moa is a nice base
-Pull the trigger group and see if your trigger is adjustable. I had mine down well under 2lbs on the factory trigger
-Bed the action
-Start reloading
-Go higher than a 2-7x scope. You'll thank me later. Shooting 7x at distance is doable, but not fun. I find my 15x to be lacking at distance and it's very good glass

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely. Dana knows his stuff. Stencils were provided by Landscape Camo of Russia, they would`ve been free of charge but Dana was putting the pressure on to get this project off the ground (we laid out the groundwork in July for goodness` sake!). So for the team at Landscape it`s a win-win: They both got paid for a stencil set AND are still getting the pictures they wanted for promotion. Theyd`ve been free if coming with a box of gear sent by a mutual friend, but some other stuff is making that take forever.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:

-Swap out the 2 piece base for a 1 piece(as you mentioned). The Farrell 20moa is a nice base
-Pull the trigger group and see if your trigger is adjustable. I had mine down well under 2lbs on the factory trigger
-Bed the action
-Start reloading
-Go higher than a 2-7x scope. You'll thank me later. Shooting 7x at distance is doable, but not fun. I find my 15x to be lacking at distance and it's very good glass

Thank you Sinus, my responses in sequence:

1) That`s what I was thinking, just one of the simple bolt-ons

2) I`ll look into the Farrell

3) I`ll check the trigger group but I don`t think mine is adjustable.

4) I hear a lot about "bedding", but frankly I`m a bit in over my head with that sort of thing

5) Reloading would be nice, once I have the desk space.

6) As for shooting "at distance", ranges in my area generally don`t stretch further than about 500 yards, and that`s hilltop-to-hilltop along a relatively straight stretch of road. I don`t want to pay for magnification nor features I simply won`t use.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Fjordforder wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

-Bed the action
-Start reloading

Thank you Sinus, my responses in sequence:

1) That`s what I was thinking, just one of the simple bolt-ons
Lots of good reviews on the KRG. Tpryder recommended that one to me but I was dead set on wasting my money on a fancy one
2) I`ll look into the Farrell
Lots of options out there, the Farrell isn't cheap but it's a great base
3) I`ll check the trigger group but I don`t think mine is adjustable.
You might be able to find an adjustable remington trigger for cheap. Some guys pull perfectly good triggers to replace with Geisselle etc, not realizing what they have
4) I hear a lot about "bedding", but frankly I`m a bit in over my head with that sort of thing
Check out Tpryder's tutorial in the SPR Industries section. You seem pretty handy, I bet you'd have no problem with it
5) Reloading would be nice, once I have the desk space.
I saw a Lee turret press on here for cheap, might be time to build a desk. If you do I have some recipes that will help you get started
6) As for shooting "at distance", ranges in my area generally don`t stretch further than about 500 yards, and that`s hilltop-to-hilltop along a relatively straight stretch of road. I don`t want to pay for magnification nor features I simply won`t use.
Even at 500 yds you'll be straining with 7x. SWFA and Vortex both have some reasonably priced scopes that will get you 10-15x

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At risk of derailing my own thread, my old SPR in 5.56 carried a Crossfire II in 2-7x32, and I quite liked that scope.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:14 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 for $159 https://www.ebay.com/p/Vortex-Diamondba ... /140900184

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet I could trade in my 30mm rings for 1-inch...

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:20 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Fjordforder wrote:
I bet I could trade in my 30mm rings for 1-inch...

Or just get some 1" ring spacers. I probably have a set around here you could have

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit homes

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looking great!

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you!

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next