Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My new lightweight build!! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
For large frame BCG's , this is what I have and have weighed. Alll weights are complete BCG.

RCA Ti w/ adjustable gas key = 12.40oz
JP LMOS polished = 14.50oz.
Young Manufacturing NM = 18.15oz
Aero Precision Nitride = 17.85oz

Lantac says their 308 Nitride and NiB BCGs are 18.1oz.

I went with the RCA but not for the weight but for the adjustable gas key. Also running a Dracos 22" 6mm CM.

BTW - great looking build.

What are your thoughts on the adjustable gas key versus adjustable gas block. I have had several successful experiences with adjustable gas blocks. I currently have a new but yet to be installed RCA adjustable gas key that I bought to be hosted by a new Toolcraft nitride BCG.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
Acpguy wrote:
Classic wrote:
Acpguy wrote:

Love the stock!

Me too!!! I was so torn because it’s a lil heavier than I wanted in the grand scheme of things. But still not bad and I just can’t stand the PRS or LuthAr...... so..... deff glad I went this route

Quit teasing, what is the stock, what did it cost and where did you get it???????????
Links work well :thumbsup2:

Stock was $225 made by XLR industry. Here’s your link :)
https://xlrindustries.com/collections/b ... butt-stock

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old11bravo wrote:
BlDtyLry wrote:
For large frame BCG's , this is what I have and have weighed. Alll weights are complete BCG.

RCA Ti w/ adjustable gas key = 12.40oz
JP LMOS polished = 14.50oz.
Young Manufacturing NM = 18.15oz
Aero Precision Nitride = 17.85oz

Lantac says their 308 Nitride and NiB BCGs are 18.1oz.

I went with the RCA but not for the weight but for the adjustable gas key. Also running a Dracos 22" 6mm CM.

BTW - great looking build.

What are your thoughts on the adjustable gas key versus adjustable gas block. I have had several successful experiences with adjustable gas blocks. I currently have a new but yet to be installed RCA adjustable gas key that I bought to be hosted by a new Toolcraft nitride BCG.

Yes, this.....no experience with this route. What is the benefit?

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old11bravo wrote:

You cannot run an adjustable gas block on a Dracos barrel so their recommendation was to run an adjustable gas key. The adjustment on the Dracos gas block is for dwell time and from what I've read from other owners it does nothing to the cycling of the BCG.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
old11bravo wrote:

You cannot run an adjustable gas block on a Dracos barrel so their recommendation was to run an adjustable gas key. The adjustment on the Dracos gas block is for dwell time and from what I've read from other owners it does nothing to the cycling of the BCG.

So, I guess I’m a lil lost. When I went to zero my rifle it was deff over gassed. But nothing an Allen wrench didn’t fix. But it was/is my understanding that closing the gas port does slow the dwell time. Slower dwell deff changes the cycling up a bit no?? So what kind of problem are you having where the adjustable gas key will help?? I deff like the idea of a handful less ounces , but fuck expensive. Not that I can really say that now at this point, but would like to think maybe I get more use than just weight reduction. If my rifle cycles fine now , an adjustable gas key may not make much diff rite??

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the adjustment on the Dracos gas block only shortens or lengthens the gas tube. It does not restrict the gas like a conventional AGB. Dracos says once you get your gas settings down then adjust the gas block to tune accuracy. Like I mentioned before, some guys have completely screwed it in or out with no visible change Some have completely removed it with no effect to accuracy or reliability.

If your rifle shoots fine without an adjustable gas key then you are GTG. 6mm Creedmoor is fairly high pressure and my gas key adjustment screw is one full turn out from full closed and my rifle cycles and recoil is negligible. Feels like shooting a 223 Rem eventhough I'm clocking a 103gr ELD-X at 2900fps. Test loads only yielded 3/4" groups at best.

My only disappointment is that it is a 9-twist. 8 or 7.5 twist is more optimized for 105's and heavier. I'm going to try 87gr VMax next as it may be better for a 9-twist.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
So the adjustment on the Dracos gas block only shortens or lengthens the gas tube. It does not restrict the gas like a conventional AGB. Dracos says once you get your gas settings down then adjust the gas block to tune accuracy.

If your rifle shoots fine without an adjustable gas key then you are GTG.

My only disappointment is that it is a 9-twist. 8 or 7.5 twist is more optimized for 105's and heavier. I'm going to try 87gr VMax next as it may be better for a 9-twist.

Makes a lil more sense now. So if I’m over gassed maybe I’ll start with a heavier buffer first. Like I said , it functions just fine but deff a lil over gassed. Need to do some fine tuning . Maybe the adjustable bcg/key will be the way to go. Guess we’ll see.
Ya the 308 comes with a 1/10.5 deff would have liked a lil quicker twist rate but oh well. Love that it stays as cool as it does!!

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
So the adjustment on the Dracos gas block only shortens or lengthens the gas tube. It does not restrict the gas like a conventional AGB. Dracos says once you get your gas settings down then adjust the gas block to tune accuracy. Like I mentioned before, some guys have completely screwed it in or out with no visible change Some have completely removed it with no effect to accuracy or reliability.

Well, that would be because changing the length of a gas tube does absolutely nothing to change dwell time. Dwell time is a function of the distance between the gas port and muzzle, it is not about gas tube length. Are you sure you understood correctly what Draco said about it? If so, it's too bad that a company selling barrels doesn't understand what dwell time is.

One thing that affects weight of these 308 AR builds quite a bit is the receiver set, and your billet receivers look kinda heavy. Have you weighed them?
Mine came in at 8 lb as well with an empty Pmag, minus scope, and I have a heavier handguard and 18" stainless barrel but lightweight forged receivers. If I were to make it a true lightweight build it'd get a light carbon fiber tube handguard and a Smoke Composites stock, but 8 lb is a pretty reasonable weight for a 308 IMO.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
BlDtyLry wrote:

Well, that would be because changing the length of a gas tube does absolutely nothing to change dwell time. Dwell time is a function of the distance between the gas port and muzzle, it is not about gas tube length. Are you sure you understood correctly what Draco said about it? If so, it's too bad that a company selling barrels doesn't understand what dwell time is.

One thing that affects weight of these 308 AR builds quite a bit is the receiver set, and your billet receivers look kinda heavy. Have you weighed them?
Mine came in at 8 lb as well with an empty Pmag, minus scope, and I have a heavier handguard and 18" stainless barrel but lightweight forged receivers. If I were to make it a true lightweight build it'd get a light carbon fiber tube handguard and a Smoke Composites stock, but 8 lb is a pretty reasonable weight for a 308 IMO.

Yes, I could have gone with the forged receiver set but I didn’t want a set many others have. Mine do weigh a lil more than the forged ones would have but they are a lightweight set so not bad.

Second, you are absolutely wrong about the length of a gas tube having “absolutely nothing” to do with dwell time. Shorter or longer gas tubes increase or decrease the distance between the gas port and muzzle, absolutely affecting the dwell time ....but you knew that;)

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Well, that would be because changing the length of a gas tube does absolutely nothing to change dwell time. Dwell time is a function of the distance between the gas port and muzzle, it is not about gas tube length. Are you sure you understood correctly what Draco said about it? If so, it's too bad that a company selling barrels doesn't understand what dwell time is..

So a pigtail gas tube has nothing to do with dwell time? Gas block distance is the same as any other pistol length gas systems

Last edited by BlDtyLry on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Well, that would be because changing the length of a gas tube does absolutely nothing to change dwell time. Dwell time is a function of the distance between the gas port and muzzle, it is not about gas tube length. Are you sure you understood correctly what Draco said about it? If so, it's too bad that a company selling barrels doesn't understand what dwell time is..

So a pigtail gas tube has nothing to do with dwell time? Gas block distance is the same as any other pistol length gas systems

Lmao , EXACTLY!!

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Acpguy wrote:
Makes a lil more sense now. So if I’m over gassed maybe I’ll start with a heavier buffer first. Like I said , it functions just fine but deff a lil over gassed. Need to do some fine tuning . Maybe the adjustable bcg/key will be the way to go. Guess we’ll see.
Ya the 308 comes with a 1/10.5 deff would have liked a lil quicker twist rate but oh well. Love that it stays as cool as it does!!

In lieu of an adjustable gas key some owners are using the JP SCS and adjusting weights and springs to control gassing. I went with the adjustable gas key to minimize reciprocating mass.

Only went with the Dracos because of their "Shoot-out" lifetime guarantee. 6mm Creedmoor is a barrel burner for sure and I'm going to push them as fast as case pressures will allow.

Re-read Dracos marketing info:
"Patent Pending pneumatic expansion chamber which cushions the action and optimizes dwell-time for the caliber, custom loads, and increases accuracy with suppressor use."

As stated before, seems like snake-oil because other owners have completely removed the adjustment screw and it shot and cycled the same.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
In lieu of an adjustable gas key some owners are using the JP SCS and adjusting weights and springs to control gassing. I went with the adjustable gas key to minimize reciprocating mass.

Only went with the Dracos because of their "Shoot-out" lifetime guarantee. 6mm Creedmoor is a barrel burner for sure and I'm going to push them as fast as case pressures will allow.

Re-read Dracos marketing info:
"Patent Pending pneumatic expansion chamber which cushions the action and optimizes dwell-time for the caliber, custom loads, and increases accuracy with suppressor use."

As stated before, seems like snake-oil because other owners have completely removed the adjustment screw and it shot and cycled the same.

Already running a silent capture spring . I guess I will get a stiffer spring and another wait to replace the tungsten one . I know I will never have a problem with the low pressure around like the 308 but you will have to keep us posted on whether or not you “shoot out” that 6 mm barrel, and how hot a load you can get through it accurately .

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Yes, correct, a pigtail gas tube has nothing to do with dwell time. It doesn't change the distance between the gas port and the muzzle. They are a gimmick for people who don't understand how the gas system works.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Acpguy wrote:

Second, you are absolutely wrong about the length of a gas tube having “absolutely nothing” to do with dwell time. Shorter or longer gas tubes increase or decrease the distance between the gas port and muzzle, absolutely affecting the dwell time ....but you knew that;)

See the bit about the pigtail gas tube. The only way to change dwell time is to change the distance between gas port and muzzle. Are you saying the Dracos barrel does that?

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:15 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next