Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Police use circular logic on guy with open carry 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thu May 26, 2011 3:32 pm

One of my little voices say's just give the cop your ID , the other little voice says Way to Go! :frust:

Thu May 26, 2011 4:40 pm
Founding Father
Founding Father

I love watching (listening) to these. It amazes me how much trouble the officers will go through to basically harass the open carry guys.

EDIT: I agree with G XXII also. Part of me says just give them your I.D. let them find out you are clean and be on your way. Their job is hard enough having to deal with the bad guys, they shouldn't have to get shit from the good guys also. However the other part of me says STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS! If I'm not doing anything illegal than leave me the hell alone and go bother someone who is doing something illegal. :frust:

Thu May 26, 2011 4:47 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is there a link to the story too? I would love to read further.

Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Massivedesign wrote:
Is there a link to the story too? I would love to read further.

I found this: http://goo.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79537-Detained-by-Biddeford-Police-Dept.-18AUG2010.

I heard you guys about just giving up your ID . . . hell, I'd probably do it, but I know both sides of that argument. I think the guy did really, really well handling those officers.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu May 26, 2011 6:23 pm

If they can stop you and demand to see your ID just because they think you are suspicious, then they can stop anyone and ask for ID for any reason. Just having an gun on your hip is no crime, so there is no reason to stop and question the person. It makes no more sense to question everyone open carrying than it does to question everyone since anyone could have a concealed gun. If a person is not committing a crime, don't bother them.
Rights must be exercised or they wither and fade. It becomes the norm to ignore them.

Sun May 29, 2011 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm usually WAY too busy when I'm out and about to waste the time by refusing to show my ID.

NOOOoooo!

All I get is "Hey! I'm peeing in here!"

"Peace is the brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."

Sun May 29, 2011 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lol I would ask for there ID just because they have a uniform on doesn't always make them a law abiding citizen. But I would also show my ID as I have better things to do then worry about getting shot by the police because I am exercising my right to do so. I understand where those who want to argue and make a point to the police, but it is my choice not to argue and just do as asked and be on my merry way. Now if they want to take my gun thats a whole different issue. If I have to get on the ground, or cuffs are involved as well we will have issues after all is said and done!

Since I fish and hunt I see nothing different as the fish and game folks asking for my lics to fish or hunt. but again this is my decision not trying to convert people to my thinking. but here is my lics anything else nope ok good bye I see that as simple, easy, and 15 mins of my life back to do what I want to do as in mind my own business.

For those that want to spend the time to record them and type letters to Police chiefs and what not I commend them and tell and say keep doing what your doing. but in different areas of the country law inforcement will react differently... and when someone gets shot over grabbing a wallet as the police asked them to do I will not do anything for the police to say I went for my pistol and then have a reason to shoot me. Cops Scare me more than a Criminal does. They have means to cover things up. or try real hard to do so.

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Mon May 30, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile YIM

Had the police just left him alone in the first place, since no crime was being committed, they wouldn't have wasted their time.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:42 pm

i hate stupid cops!!! if they don't know the law then they should be fired.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Just in joy wrote:
lol I would ask for there ID just because they have a uniform on doesn't always make them a law abiding citizen. But I would also show my ID as I have better things to do then worry about getting shot by the police because I am exercising my right to do so. I understand where those who want to argue and make a point to the police, but it is my choice not to argue and just do as asked and be on my merry way. Now if they want to take my gun thats a whole different issue. If I have to get on the ground, or cuffs are involved as well we will have issues after all is said and done!

Since I fish and hunt I see nothing different as the fish and game folks asking for my lics to fish or hunt. but again this is my decision not trying to convert people to my thinking. but here is my lics anything else nope ok good bye I see that as simple, easy, and 15 mins of my life back to do what I want to do as in mind my own business.

For those that want to spend the time to record them and type letters to Police chiefs and what not I commend them and tell and say keep doing what your doing. but in different areas of the country law inforcement will react differently... and when someone gets shot over grabbing a wallet as the police asked them to do I will not do anything for the police to say I went for my pistol and then have a reason to shoot me. Cops Scare me more than a Criminal does. They have means to cover things up. or try real hard to do so.

I dont really agree with this (in bold). Hunting and fishing is regulated and licensed, its more related to CC than OC, as CC is licensed OC is not. If you want to show your ID for convinance sake that is all good, and I probably would too just because I hate dealing with arguing and drama, caused by me or not.

I dont know why the feel the need to stop people at all. Down here in the PRK they do it to make sure the weapon is unloaded because loaded open carry is illegal here and I dont even realy agree with that. but its kalifornia so what the hell.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:02 pm

It was a win-win for both sides.

The cops need to make sure the community is safe, but did not step into harassment, or un-due process. After some discussion, they realize this guy is not a threat to anyone, and did not need their ID or even their names.

The carry guys gave a lesson in American Rights.

I think both sides acted professionally. The carry dude COULD have talked a little slower so he didn't sound like a smart-ass.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it's my age but I might have stopped these two just to verify that they were old enough to be legally carrying. When you get to my end of the age spectrum, almost everyone looks like a "Youngster" Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

But there in lies the problem. Here in WA, we are not a stop and ID state. There is no "papers please" here. An Officer has to have RAS (Reasonable Articulateable Suspicion) that the person carrying the gun has broken a law.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
But there in lies the problem. Here in WA, we are not a stop and ID state. There is no "papers please" here. An Officer has to have RAS (Reasonable Articulateable Suspicion) that the person carrying the gun has broken a law.

+1 and as long as people like the above link continue to fight the good fight, maybe the LEOs will learn this fact. To quote Tom Brewster in Spanaway Starbucks "This isn't Nazi Germany"

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - The period at the end means end of statement. Our founding fathers put it there on purpose. It means STOP trying to tell me what my rights are and let me HAVE them!

God Bless You

Massivedesign wrote:
Goose is a Pastor... Jesus gave him 10/10.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:16 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next