Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Odd defense/carry situation, what to do? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

velillen wrote:
So a "lifted diesel truck" pulls up. But then you say you couldnt make our the model/type of truck. ive never heard of someone describe a 90s powerstroke "based on headlight" before either (totally doable just havent).

Only mention that cause i think you made the right choice...woken up to something and not totally awake. Be ready to defend yourself but not ready to jump right into action (obviously if window was broken or something be different). Always a hard spot to be in but sounds like you were protected at least if the person had tried to do something

Fair point but I can explain. I heard him coming from 100 yards up the canyon I was in. He was driving unusually slow. I first popped my head up and saw the rough side profile before he swung towards me. All I saw was a rough outline which was a vaguely boxy crew cab / long bed length. Tinted factory glass didn’t help me. All I could see were red vertical tails (no help Chevy vs ford that gen) and the “flat” style shaped headlight housing vs 2000’s big round types. It “could” have been an 88+ Chevy but not many were crew nor Diesel. I’m a car/truck nut and the idle really didn’t sound right for a power stroke 7.3L or 6.5L sooo?. but everything else matches. When he pulled it right up to my glass the shape said Ford OBS to me. But I wasn’t worried at that time about make and model. More about ensuring my safety. And yes, it was lifted. Light was same level as my window. Stock F250 wouldn’t. I didn’t even watch him leave. I was in full physical adrenaline dump and had a pounding heart. I just laid there trying to not have a heart attack and thankful he left.

Glad to know I made the “right” decision according to the hive in here. Some people I know faulted me for not playing Rambo. I had made the decision to use force if a window suddenly broke etc but even then I would have had to make a choice and ID my target

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Things I’ll take in trade: KAC Micro rear sight, Glock 29 G3/G4 slide, Glock 20/29/19/17/22/23/21 mags, TC Encore parts

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot put my life on it but I would say I am 80% confident it was like the ford shown above. I’m the guy who can usually ID car or trucks based simply on profile head/Tail Lights. Just something I’ve always been good at. I’ve even helped ID a couple that LEO couldn’t based on blurry pics etc. the small details of design can be a dead giveaway to the obsessed

Things I’ll take in trade: KAC Micro rear sight, Glock 29 G3/G4 slide, Glock 20/29/19/17/22/23/21 mags, TC Encore parts

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had something very similar out deer hunting near Mt Spokane. My hunting partner and I were in a tent next to my truck and had a vehicle (sounded like a little old 4 banger truck or SUV) pull up to my tent. Did the same thing, curled up with my EDC and waited. Eventually they got bored and left.

Definitely an eye opener, I always park my vehicle to block off vehicle access where my tent is now (if at all possible).

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having lived in a van for over a year....I got messed with many times. Most times I did exactly what you did. If they exited a vehicle, or were on foot, I would generally give a verbal warning that the vehicle was occupied by an armed person. No actual threats...just the facts.

If they were adament about sticking around and making noise, I just hit my panic button and drowned them out with the horn. Even if they didn't become nervous from the possible attention garnered....they would usually go away in fairly short order, because they're taunts or whatever couldnt be heard.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:
I to think you did the right thing. Sad there are a lot of assholes out there.
But I’d like to add if you (or anyone ) is going to go out for a lone hike or camp. Be sure to let friends and family know where your going and how long you’ll be gone.
Even if your like me and don’t care to tell your nosy sister what your weekend plans are. You know. Some times a guy just wants to get away.
So at the very least. Leave a note at your home. Giving as much info of where you’ll be going and how long you intend to be gone.
That way if the unthinkable happens. The first person looking for you at your home will find the note.
Keep vigilant and stay safe.

Text yourself any evidentiary information you want found post mortem. Give the phone unlock code to those you want looking at your phone if you are found dead.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sounds to me like you've still got it :4couple: :inlove:

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2