Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Thoughts on first time open carrying a 1911 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rita & I went mushrooming yesterday after the game. We just wanted to get out of the house, let the dog run as much as he liked, and see if we could maybe find some chanterelles. She'd been out in the same area last week, and for all intents and purposes got skunked so our hopes weren't high, but we ended up getting a bit more than a pound of them, enough for a nice meal with steaks for spaghetti or something. We also saw a lot of little tiny ones, like smaller than a dime that we just left in place figuring they'd get bigger.

I decided I'd bring my 1943 Colt 1911 in it's brand new period leather holster (US GI flap leather reproduction). I'd never worn the holster before even though I've had it for several years. I bought it at PSA in case anyone's looking for a nice reproduction.

First impressions: Wow, this thing weighs a ton! Compared to what I normally conceal carry (S&W 9mm Shield or Bond Arms Rowdy) it's night & day. Enough that even with my belt cinched up, it kept dragging my pants down as I walked. I'd imagine I looked pretty comic, walk 10-12 steps, stop, hitch up my pants, carry on. Also, the frog is a killer if you're driving down washboard road and it's up against the console on the truck. I'm pretty sure some bruises will be coming up after a few of the potholes we hit. I went much slower on the way out.

Questions:

* How do you keep your 1911 from dragging your pants down? Suspenders? Separate pistol belt? Other?

* Can the frog on a US GI leather holster be removed without cutting it? I'm hesitant to cut it if I ever want to hang it off of a duty belt, but I really don't want to deal with it digging into my side as I drive or walk.

* I'd like to wear in the leather so it looks more period correct and hopefully fits the pistol better as well. Saddle soap? What else needs to be done to wear it in and form it to the gun? Hot water with the gun in a plastic bag to protect it?

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the answers but I have suggestions.

1. It seems that your questions have all been answered since 1943. Others have concluded carrying 4 pounds on the hip was not enjoyable. Polymer guns and kydex holsters are the answers I'd suggest.

2. I have a very old 1911 of historical importance similar to yours. It's a display piece, safe queen, and range gun. There's no way in hell I'd take it out in the field or subject it to being smashed against a car console in some field excursion. Damage from being dropped, rust, scratches... These are easily $2000 pistols. Put in the safe, and pull out something that isn't going to hurt if it's damaged in the field.

3. I was carrying my Glock in a leather holster whilst doing some heavy field work and after a few day I pulled out the Glock and to my dismay my sweat penetrated the leather and started to rust the slide on my Glock. I scrubbed it good but there's still evidence of rust. Would be a real shame if the 1911 got rusty from field work and sweat.

This is like taking your 68 Mustang and making it a daily driver. There's far better cars for a daily driver and you should try to preserve the pony car...

Other than that, I don't have much to offer.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d go with a steel core gunbelt like a Bigfoot. I’ve carried a 1911 with one before and it prevents sag. The thinner steel belts will still fit in standard belt loops and look more like a normal belt than the thicker ones, but are still effective. This will make a bigger difference than you might think. I find it comfortable enough to wear all the time, even when not carrying. You will have no trouble with airport security... as long as left the gun at home, of course.

Anything you carry will pick up wear, but leather adds some additional maintenance. Never leave anything in a leather holster; take it out when not in use. Kydex is usually ok as long as you don’t have lint buildup to hold moisture. Blued and parkerized guns need to be periodically oiled.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
I don't have the answers but I have suggestions.

1. It seems that your questions have all been answered since 1943. Others have concluded carrying 4 pounds on the hip was not enjoyable. Polymer guns and kydex holsters are the answers I'd suggest.

2. I have a very old 1911 of historical importance similar to yours. It's a display piece, safe queen, and range gun. There's no way in hell I'd take it out in the field or subject it to being smashed against a car console in some field excursion. Damage from being dropped, rust, scratches... These are easily $2000 pistols. Put in the safe, and pull out something that isn't going to hurt if it's damaged in the field.

3. I was carrying my Glock in a leather holster whilst doing some heavy field work and after a few day I pulled out the Glock and to my dismay my sweat penetrated the leather and started to rust the slide on my Glock. I scrubbed it good but there's still evidence of rust. Would be a real shame if the 1911 got rusty from field work and sweat.

This is like taking your 68 Mustang and making it a daily driver. There's far better cars for a daily driver and you should try to preserve the pony car...

Other than that, I don't have much to offer.

I should have been more explicit. This particular 1911 came to me in pieces minus some of them, like the frame. I bought a Filipino frame for it, and added the other missing pieces (extractor, wrong safety, etc.). It was purchased by someone on here at a Seattle gun buy back. The previous owner had mounted all the pieces onto a zinc or aluminum .22 frame and pulled the trigger exactly once. My friend had to cut the frame away to get to the rest of the 1943 vintage parts. When I got it, it was in a gallon Ziploc bag and I spent a long time learning how to build a 1911 mostly from scratch. If it were a true period piece, it wouldn't be in a holster, it'd be safely tucked away somewhere. This one, meh, not so much.

I do have a commander sized 1911 (Para 1045) that has a Kydex holster that I carry at times, I just wanted to try out the "new" holster. I also have a couple other 1911s including the one I built from scratch (no head start like the 1943 had).

reginald_burrito wrote:
I’d go with a steel core gunbelt like a Bigfoot. I’ve carried a 1911 with one before and it prevents sag. The thinner steel belts will still fit in standard belt loops and look more like a normal belt than the thicker ones, but are still effective. This will make a bigger difference than you might think. I find it comfortable enough to wear all the time, even when not carrying. You will have no trouble with airport security... as long as left the gun at home, of course.

Anything you carry will pick up wear, but leather adds some additional maintenance. Never leave anything in a leather holster; take it out when not in use. Kydex is usually ok as long as you don’t have lint buildup to hold moisture. Blued and parkerized guns need to be periodically oiled.

Thanks! I actually have a Glock 21 that's on a gun belt similar to yours, but I wanted to try out the leather holster.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a level 2 Blackhawk SERPA holster and double thick nylon belt for mine.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I use in the field with a full size 1911.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10136 ... EoQAvD_BwE.

Pants don't fall off, works well on a quad or motorcycle, and you can access it easier while driving than a standard GI flap holster.

Google "tanker holster" if you want to pursue a different option. They are available in many materials and price point, the El Paso Saddle leather one that have is really nice.

This doesn't help much with your existing rig. Bigfoot belt and "spenders and deal with the other PITA details.

Good luck.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
This is what I use in the field with a full size 1911.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10136 ... EoQAvD_BwE.

Pants don't fall off, works well on a quad or motorcycle, and you can access it easier while driving than a standard GI flap holster.

Google "tanker holster" if you want to pursue a different option. They are available in many materials and price point, the El Paso Saddle leather one that have is really nice.

This doesn't help much with your existing rig. Bigfoot belt and "spenders and deal with the other PITA details.

Good luck.

Oooh, I like it, holster & suspenders in one, plus it's (maybe?) period correct. That's not a huge deal to me, but if it is, so much the better.

It's on my wish list now.

Last edited by delliottg on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I was going to jokingly say “wear suspenders” but I see that’s already been covered :bigsmile:

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can always carry on chest.
I carried this way when I was attached to a heavy tank unit.

Lots of modern variants available now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:54 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

You may need different pants. When you're carrying a steel 1911 or any other pistol of the same weight, your pants and how they fit make a big difference.

This is my 1911 open carry setup. It works, especially with well fitted pants.
https://www.hanksbelts.com/products/hanks-extreme-belt-concealed-carry-belt
https://blade-tech.com/collections/holster-finder/products/total-eclipse-holster?variant=8086100672602

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I do....P14-45
Think Miami Vice shoulder rig or
inside waist belt on my 6, And I remove it from holster while driving

Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Safari land Velcro belt is all I need. Plus a drop the mic emoji...

Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simply Rugged's Chesty Puller rig is another harness candidate. I like mine and the ability to swap in different holsters for different pieces, and the compatible holsters all can be worn on the belt strong side or cross draw.

Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tanker holster for sure. There are decent repros of the M7 on eBay for ~$35, but not sure I'd depend on them for absolute durability. Maybe the Bianchi shoulder rig would be better for that, and bonus --- you end up looking like an extra in a 1980s buddy cop movie!

Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not for everyone but I find it versatile. Bulldog layflat.

Coupled with a Bigfoot gunbelt.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next