Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ex Police K9 alerted on me today 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:
so edc a couple dog treats, and pull one out of the pocket nearest your pistol and ask wtf is up with the dog sniffing for scoobysnaks? :bigsmile:

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:48 am
Profile WWW

If the dog was also an explosive detection dog one the dog may have been able to detect the powder in the ammunition. This has been argued about if it's possible or not. If not, then the reason they alert on firearms would be that the handler instead of using the actual explosive training agent (as in small quantities of real explosives, so a pain in the ass to sign out, only the fifth Monday of the month if the one person who can sign it out is working that day), he was using a loaded mag. Some have stated that the dogs might learn to alert on the smell of the oil on the guns.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This made me think of the ad, "what's in your wallet."
Thread delivering. :ROFLMAO: :thumbsup2:

Unicorn wrote:
If the dog was also an explosive detection dog one the dog may have been able to detect the powder in the ammunition. This has been argued about if it's possible or not. If not, then the reason they alert on firearms would be that the handler instead of using the actual explosive training agent (as in small quantities of real explosives, so a pain in the ass to sign out, only the fifth Monday of the month if the one person who can sign it out is working that day), he was using a loaded mag. Some have stated that the dogs might learn to alert on the smell of the oil on the guns.

I work for a major European commercial roofing manufacturer. We have a PMMA product that uses a catylist made from a very powerful oxidizer. If we take that catalyst, or any partially uncured pmma samples with us when we fly, we stand the chance of getting pulled into the small room for interrogation for carrying explosives.

Divided we fall.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you eat a hot dog then touch your gun? :)

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably just saying hello, but could be one that has been trained to casually be aware of smells of interest then ramps up when given a search command.

Unless you're gun is very heavily cleaned after every use there could have been enough residue on it. At one point I had a multipurpose bag that got used for camera gear/off body carry/etc. Once after a range day where it came along, there was enough residue on it to alert an airport sniffer when I shortly thereafter flew to a photo gig in CA. That was fun, but not as fun as when I went back to Vermont to visit family and brought back a big brick of cheese. Connected through NY and TSA thought I had a brick of explosives. Friends who work in avalanche control have also had dogs/airports get them for residue on clothing/gear.

Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2