Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What is your method of shopping for concealed handgun? 

Submitted by CPL application today at the King County Sheriff's office, which is itself a bit of a story. After paying for it and doing my fingerprint, the fire alarm went off in the building, hahhah.....it wasn't me, I didn't do anything!

I'm starting to shop for a conceal carry handgun and I would like to find out from you guys, what is your selection process? Do you go fondle the gun at the gun store, fire it at the range with a rental or just rely on youtube reviews and see what's cool?

Or do you do it in the reverse and look into what kind of hostler is most comfortable, then see if they support the carry gun you want?

I'm looking at the usual suspect online at this time: Sig 365X, Glock 43X, Springfield Hellcat, S&W M&P Shield Plus and Ruger Security Max 9. Any other ones I should also consider?

Thanks.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:popcorn:

Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bigbearbear wrote:
Submitted by CPL application today at the King County Sheriff's office, which is itself a bit of a story. After paying for it and doing my fingerprint, the fire alarm went off in the building, hahhah.....it wasn't me, I didn't do anything!

I'm starting to shop for a conceal carry handgun and I would like to find out from you guys, what is your selection process? Do you go fondle the gun at the gun store, fire it at the range with a rental or just rely on youtube reviews and see what's cool?

Or do you do it in the reverse and look into what kind of hostler is most comfortable, then see if they support the carry gun you want?

I'm looking at the usual suspect online at this time: Sig 365X, Glock 43X, Springfield Hellcat, S&W M&P Shield Plus and Ruger Security Max 9. Any other ones I should also consider?

Thanks.

I read a lot of online reviews and then checked a few out at Sportsmans and Sportco before deciding on the p365xl.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

bigbearbear wrote:
Do you go fondle the gun at the gun store, fire it at the range with a rental or just rely on youtube reviews and see what's cool?

All of the above, if possible.

bigbearbear wrote:

Yes, you need to make sure that you can get the right holster for it. But if you buy any of the popular guns, that shouldn't be an issue.

bigbearbear wrote:
Sig 365X, Glock 43X, Springfield Hellcat, S&W M&P Shield Plus and Ruger Security Max 9.

Choosing a carry gun is a very personal thing, so I don't think anyone can tell you what's right or wrong. However, those are all great candidates. Remember to factor in the Shield Arms mag (https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag) when you look at the 43X.

I carry a Sig P365, and I've been very happy with it. I definitely feel like this is the right size for a carry gun for me. I got mine before the others that you mentioned came out, so I won't say that I chose it over them, but I can also say that I'm not planning to replace it with any of them any time soon. I've shot a Hellcat a few times, and really liked it too.

And one last tip: This isn't a lifetime commitment, so don't spend too much time or sanity agonizing over the decision. Because no matter which you choose, you may hate it in six months. So make a reasonable decision, and go with it. And if you decide to sell it in a year (or buy it a sibling...), so be it!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This :yes:

Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more thing… carrying is never that comfortable.

You try to mitigate the pain and discomfort as much as you can but it’s a slab of metal/plastic and depending on what and where and how long you carry. It’s not for fun.

So it all depends on gun, holster and where and how you carry.

Like a pair of shoes for different occasions. Having different firearms can be varied for one’s needs.

Good luck and in the next 2-4 years if you don’t have 2-6 different holsters. You will be above the curve.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:32 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Everything Steve said.

For years I carried a S&W Shield IWB SOB. But lately I’ve followed Steve and started carrying a p365 in my front pocket. All day every day. I never even notice it now.

Best advice I can give: try all of them. Find a range with a decent rental selection (like FWDG) and shoot the ones you’re interested in.

Alternatively, you can do like some of us and just buy them all and figure it out later.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What kind of upside down world is this where a revolver does NOT make the list of possible carry guns???

I am officially TRIGGERED!!!!!

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep revo airweight for work. Maybe a G19 if I have to go to town.

That said: If I were buying now, I'd probably opt for 365 'cuz they shoot nicely for me and could fill both the roles stated above, in one gun.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But if you are looking at parameters or guidelines.

Cost
Size
Caliber
Weight
Capacity

As anything cost is fundamental. If one isn’t concerned than why not a Solid Gold version.

For carry it’s all about size. Otherwise why not carry a full size.

Caliber is by choice. With all the advancements of design one can carry an equally sized 45 or 10mm these days.

Weight is a factor. Once you start carrying it all day and night. It does make a difference in the long haul. Every ounce counts. So this goes to polymer/metal designs. Make sure you have a good sturdy belt.

Capacity choices are also catching up with modern design of magazines to hold more even for a subcompact design or frame of firearm. Single stack versus double stack mags and all the new designs.

So with these in mind. The last part is you. Your idea of how you will carry and it boils down to your body type/size (for carry) and for the gun is all about your hands. It’s personal because a gun will feel differently to all of us (because we all have different sized hands).

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:19 pm

Of the choices of guns you're looking at, the Sig 365X, Glock 43X, and the Shield are known solid choices.

But it's different strokes for different folks.

Some want something small that's light and easy to conceal.

Some want the best fighting pistol and carry method available, and train and dress around it, as a priority. That's where I'm at.

My personal standards are a solid duty-type sidearm that I can fight with effectively. A known quantity.

Then train like hell with it, and dress around THAT. And no, not like tactical timmy. Just normal.

Me, I can't effectively meet standards like F.A.S.T., Bill Drill, El Pres, 3M Test, etc., or engage multiple targets, shoot on the move, with a tiny gun in my front pocket that only holds 5 or 6 rounds.

But I can, for example, with a G19 run out of a quality AIWB holster and mag pouch.

I'd say for realistic defensive purposes, BARE minimum standard to meet would be a draw with one good COM/-0 zone hit at 7 yards in 2 seconds or under.

I do not distinguish between "concealment piece" and regularly carried concealed sidearm.

Smallish guns are for BUGs, for me. Only time I run one as a primary is while running.

But to each their own.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wheel gun bro. Yep, wheel guns fo the win.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:36 pm

Many thanks for the input, appreciate it. I'll have to find some time to check out the various indoor range around my place and their rentals, Federal Way Discount Guns is the closest so I'll probably check it out first. Hopefully they'll have all of those I'm interested in to try.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:24 pm

zombie66 wrote:
What kind of upside down world is this where a revolver does NOT make the list of possible carry guns???
I am officially TRIGGERED!!!!!

Old Growth wrote:
Wheel gun bro. Yep, wheel guns fo the win.

I understand the sentiment of the preference for revolvers and I am looking for one for my collection, but not for carrying. Its the same reason why I am not planning to carry my Colt Lightweight Officer 45acp, ammo capacity and weight of gun make them not ideal choices for myself. In more civilized times that are long gone, those would've been good choices as society hasn't developed a taste of rioting and looting under the pretense of social justice.

These are sad times my friend, more guns and more ammo capacity can mean the difference between you going home safely or be dragged out of your car and beaten into a bloody mess by a mob.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:54 pm

ViniVidivici wrote:
Of the choices of guns you're looking at, the Sig 365X, Glock 43X, and the Shield are known solid choices.

But it's different strokes for different folks.

Some want something small that's light and easy to conceal.

Some want the best fighting pistol and carry method available, and train and dress around it, as a priority. That's where I'm at.

My personal standards are a solid duty-type sidearm that I can fight with effectively. A known quantity.

Then train like hell with it, and dress around THAT. And no, not like tactical timmy. Just normal.

Me, I can't effectively meet standards like F.A.S.T., Bill Drill, El Pres, 3M Test, etc., or engage multiple targets, shoot on the move, with a tiny gun in my front pocket that only holds 5 or 6 rounds.

But I can, for example, with a G19 run out of a quality AIWB holster and mag pouch.

I'd say for realistic defensive purposes, BARE minimum standard to meet would be a draw with one good COM/-0 zone hit at 7 yards in 2 seconds or under.

I do not distinguish between "concealment piece" and regularly carried concealed sidearm.

Smallish guns are for BUGs, for me. Only time I run one as a primary is while running.

But to each their own.

This is good stuff and thanks for that. I might have to message you about drills you do for engaging multiple targets on the move and how you train etc.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next