Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 12 y/o thwarts jewelry robbery in Turkey. Lessons to learn.. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So this illustrates the quick reaction by a 12 y/o during an attempted jewelry robbery in Turkey.

Quote:
In this incredible viral video, surveillance footage shows a masked robber entering a Turkish jewelry shop and pulling out a gun, only to have his heist thwarted by a young boy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/0 ... 3%7C100979

So food for thought... If you were carrying... would it of been quicker to react to the robber or draw against? Meaning go for HIS gun or go for your own.

Now realize he was close...

I'm starting this discussion to think about how close is close and how fast can you react...

If he was further than different situation. Duck and cover and draw. If you think about it... attempting to outdraw him would of just made you a priority target for the BG. Got to get to cover or concealment but again depends on layout, where you are in relationship to BG and when your mind told you there is something wrong... tiphatt

You can not react fast enough to draw your gun without making yourself the primary target for the BG as he has his gun out and you don't.

This also can illustrate the general 21 Foot Rule. Many of us shoot at the range... 7 yards (21 feet). This is the absolute buffer zone for self defense... in the sense a BG can be on you within 2 seconds or less... something to consider for those that Open or Conceal carry as it may take you longer to react, draw and be able to shoot in more time than that... meaning the BG will be able to cross that distance and do you harm in less time than you are able to draw and shoot (this of course has to factor in how you deep you carry and where and what you carry too)...

Something to think about as you go around carrying a firearm...

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What a brave child. He was targeted for his small size, you can see the robber turn to him to him in an attempt to... use the child as leverage?

If that was me, there is no way in hell I would draw, too close. Would I go for the gun? Possibly. If it went down like in the video I would do everything in my power to disarm the assailant.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you watch the video...

The kid was suspicious because the BG had a mask. When he threw the bag on the counter and turned... he was going for the door (it was open)... I'm sure the BG didn't want the kid to leave and yell bloody murder into the streets...

The BG didn't expect as he drew and started pointing it towards the kid.. the kid reacted by... HOLY Sh*t he's pointing a gun at me... reaction and grabbed it. Basic survival instincts kicked in as you can see no hesitation...

It looks like the BG didn't think that would happen and was surprised enough to take him off guard and all the time enough for the store clerk to close in at the same time... and push him out the door. Since he was more than half out... and exposed to all the street traffic...

No real thinking if you look at it from a reactionary point of view.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was no thinking at all here, just instinctive reaction.

Bag on Counter at the 25 second mark and out the door at the 30 second mark. A total of 5 seconds to make demand, draw gun, have kid push it up, and leave.

If you haven't practiced scenarios like this so they become pure instinct there is no chance of responding in this amount of time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]