Switch to full style
This is the place to discuss the how, when, where and why we carry.
Post a reply

Re: Does your workplace have a no firearms policy?

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 pm

norahc wrote:
NWShooter wrote:My employer prohibits firearms on company property. That includes the parking lot. That forces me to commute without my concealed pistol. They have signs all over the entrances to buildings in Arizona as Arizona has a law prohibiting employers from prohibiting weapons in employee's vehicles. The signs make it very clear that bringing them into the building is prohibited. OK, the buildings are a defense free zone. We need a similar law in Washington. It was proposed a year or two ago, but the legislature thought they had more important things to spend their time on.

Do they search your vehicle too?

Not that I've ever known about.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:10 am

PNW9995 wrote:Last year I use to carry my gun to work, and an employee informed management that I carried because she saw a spare mag when i pulled it from the desk... Funny thing, she tried saying that I shouldnt need a gun working graveyard at a hotel because when she works she feels comfortable and doesnt need a gun... So management ends up telling me I can have it in my car but not on me or behind the desk. Fast foreward 9 months, about 3 months ago I had 3 nights off by mistake, and the 2nd night I had off my workplace was robbed at gunpoint... After that, they are happy to have me carry at work

That sir, is awesome... Too bad it took an armed robbery to make it so. Does the woman still feel safe?

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:15 pm

FattyKrack wrote:
PNW9995 wrote:Last year I use to carry my gun to work, and an employee informed management that I carried because she saw a spare mag when i pulled it from the desk... Funny thing, she tried saying that I shouldnt need a gun working graveyard at a hotel because when she works she feels comfortable and doesnt need a gun... So management ends up telling me I can have it in my car but not on me or behind the desk. Fast foreward 9 months, about 3 months ago I had 3 nights off by mistake, and the 2nd night I had off my workplace was robbed at gunpoint... After that, they are happy to have me carry at work

That sir, is awesome... Too bad it took an armed robbery to make it so. Does the woman still feel safe?

ya because she keeps the door locked most of the time now and will buzz people in... I felt like it was an inside job for the longest time because of watching the tape over and over again it just didnt look legit, but who am I to judge a persons reaction when having a gun pulled on them... Dude got caught a few months later and we got a letter from DOC if the owner wants to appear in court to see the defendant... LMAO, they send a letter basically saying come see the guy who robbed you but your money is gone

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 pm

ANZAC wrote:My old job used to say "no firearms on premises". I kept my gun(s) in my car, as far as I am concerned it is my premises, and we would frequently take side trips to WCA from work.

I know of other places (Microsoft) that say "no guns in parked cars", which sounds like BS to me.

Currently working from home, my policy is very open on me carrying at work (home). But when I travel for work, especially to foreign countries, obviously not so simple. I recently bought a selection of "stealthy" tactical pens for travel (hey better than nothing). I've had ZERO issues with TSA on these in carry-on.

What stealthy tactical pens are your favorites? Looking to have the same thing when I air travel or are in other "safe" zones.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:11 pm

As I have said before. .

you can get a new job. .. new lives are hard to come by. .

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:26 am

I work for King County. It's a no go for us and our customers at the transfer stations. Although I didn't enforce that rule when I saw Greg at the dump. I let him slide.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:53 am

Yep. Mine does. Doesn't stop some though, several coworkers keep weapons in their lockers, none actually carry though.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:31 am

Itchin4Fishin wrote:I work for King County. It's a no go for us and our customers at the transfer stations. Although I didn't enforce that rule when I saw Greg at the dump. I let him slide.

Transfer stations?

If it's operated by the county, it's covered by preemption. They can't prevent non employees from carrying...

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:07 am

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Itchin4Fishin wrote:I work for King County. It's a no go for us and our customers at the transfer stations. Although I didn't enforce that rule when I saw Greg at the dump. I let him slide.

Transfer stations?

If it's operated by the county, it's covered by preemption. They can't prevent non employees from carrying...

That's what I was thinking. I don't know if LRI in pierce county is privately operated but they've never said anything to me. Itchin said he works for the county though so I'd say that means they're attempting to violate preemption. Seattle/King County will never learn.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:56 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Transfer stations?

Yup, transfer stations. Not entirely sure if it does include the public/customers but there usually a sign posted at the entrance saying no guns allowed or something like that.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Signs in WA. Generally not enforceable unless over 21 bar, court, parts of mental institution.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:38 pm

golddigger14s wrote:Signs in WA. Generally not enforceable unless over 21 bar, court, parts of mental institution.

And private business and private property

Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:32 am

I actually don't know. My company makes custom explosion bonded 1911 frames and billet AR-15 lower receivers on occasion. We have a lot of hunters too. There's nothing in our employee manual about it.

Don't ask don't tell maybe?

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:52 pm

spikedzombies wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:Signs in WA. Generally not enforceable unless over 21 bar, court, parts of mental institution.

And private business and private property

They can have a sign saying no guns, but the only thing they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't you can be trespassed, but you are not guilty of breaking any gun related laws. Like no shoes, no shirt, no service.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:02 pm

New, part time job at WCAN let's me carry, bur my real job still won't let me. Commercial vehicles and all.
Post a reply