Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 "Legal Heat" app 

I'm pretty new to WaGuns.org and haven't seen this listed elsewhere here. My apologies if this has already been covered and I'm simply providing duplicate info.

That being said, I learned about an app for my Android while in the mandatory class for my Nevada CHL. I understand it's also available for iPhones. The app is called "Legal Heat" and costs 99 cents.
It provides great info on a state by state basis on concealed carry, open carry, and transport laws as well as contact info for each respective states' attorney general's office. According to the instructor that told us about it, the database is updated daily.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .legalheat

While it does provide helpful basic info at the state level, it doesn't cover individual county and city laws from what I've seen. That would obviously be a huge database on a national level, and you'll need to research those elsewhere.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I heard about the app but I feel it is only helpful in the "investigate the law" phase of CC or Open carry. Bookmarking the state RCW's seem to be a good idea. I'm all for someone making money by collecting data and presenting it to someone in an easy to read format.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use "ccw - concealed carry 50 state guide"

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks, guys. I will say this - after reading through this forum and having received your replies, I see the people here are far more dialed in to the finer points of concealed carry than any other firearms forum I've visited.

I agree that an app is basically a thumbnail view of the different states' laws. Bookmarking the applicable web pages for your home state of or others you travel through frequently is a great idea. Before I travel out of state, I always brush up on the states I'll be carrying in via book or website before I go and certainly wouldn't use this app to do so. It only takes a few minutes and could make all the difference.

"CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State Guide" looks like a good app, and the reviews were really positive (I looked at the website). I'll likely use that in conjunction with Legal Heat for basic research.
The apps are great for answering quick questions, especially during conversations with people from other states who don't know much about it.

I'm always surprised with the "better to be judged by 12 than carried by six" perspective and ignorance of the law. A lot of people don't seem to understand that not following the law when it comes to firearms can and will ruin your life as you know it. Many have been financially ruined or worse (incarcerated) by thinking they could dig their way out of it later.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Elkaholic wrote:
Thanks, guys. I will say this - after reading through this forum and having received your replies, I see the people here are far more dialed in to the finer points of concealed carry than any other firearms forum I've visited.

I agree that an app is basically a thumbnail view of the different states' laws. Bookmarking the applicable web pages for your home state of or others you travel through frequently is a great idea. Before I travel out of state, I always brush up on the states I'll be carrying in via book or website before I go and certainly wouldn't use this app to do so. It only takes a few minutes and could make all the difference.

"CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State Guide" looks like a good app, and the reviews were really positive (I looked at the website). I'll likely use that in conjunction with Legal Heat for basic research.
The apps are great for answering quick questions, especially during conversations with people from other states who don't know much about it.

I'm always surprised with the "better to be judged by 12 than carried by six" perspective and ignorance of the law. A lot of people don't seem to understand that not following the law when it comes to firearms can and will ruin your life as you know it. Many have been financially ruined or worse (incarcerated) by thinking they could dig their way out of it later.

I'd never trust an app as a single tool, but rather a tool in the tool chest. It has most of the basic need to know stuff, and is constantly being updated with info as its gaining more use I've noticed. Pretty useful for most common stuff you may need to know though.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

It is only a buck and supports our rights to carry.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]