Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Flashlights... EDC and for self defense - using a firearm 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, my background.

I have done a few low light shoots (both indoor and outdoor). When I say "done" have participated and conducted low light shoots.

A few lessons learned from folks and flashlights.

1) A self defense light is good for self defense... most times
2) Most people never shoot with a flashlight
3) Most people never shoot in low light conditions
4) Most people have no idea what to do with a flashlight nor about low light shootings

1- A good defense light is a mixture of EDC and specs of the light. Most modern lights are greater than 200 lumens... Key is that it's simple to use one hand. Some are not. Some require two hands (twist cap) or bulking for EDC. I mean if you can carry a 3 Cell D battery operated flashlight... you are extra special.

An EDC light one that you carry everyday is a compromise... just like the firearm you select to carry. For size, ease of use, performance.

one feature that I always look for now... first click is HIGH! Most lights have multi multi functions... but the first on is HIGH for a self defense light.

2- Next time you go to a shooting range. Use your light and shoot. Just hold it while you fire. Then start aiming the beam while shooting. One handed, both hands. Find out what works for you.

Quote:
6 Flashlight Shooting Techniques You Must Know

http://www.usacarry.com/6-flashlight-sh ... must-know/

3- Most folks don't have access to an indoor range to lower the lights or outdoor ranges where you can shoot when it's dark outside.
Even if you do go to an outdoor setting and go shooting... it's very difficult to find a location. Safety is another issue.

But one piece I strongly recommend is get night sights. Yes, I harp on flashlights but having a built in ability to align your firearm is key. People that have never shot in low light conditions may think night sights are a waste... but again... remember who you are listening too (someone that hasn't really experienced low light shooting). They read on this forum or another from someone again that doesn't have a great deal of experience in low light shooting...

4- So you can look at the link above about the 6 positions, etc, etc but if you never practice... even if you are a good shot... believe me. Your shooting ability in low light isn't the same like it is during daylight. You lose all point of reference to your firearm... and losing those sights... on a pistol... doesn't take much to not be able to hit a 6' target at 20 feet.

Again, if you listen to those that have never fired in the dark with plain old iron sights and they tell you they can shoot just as well... Please remember who and what you are listening to (someone that has no experience shooting in low light).

Why do I focus so much on low light and having a flashlight.

Well, a flashlight is an additional tool - one that can be used for non lethal uses.
Shine a light on a dumb ass and you put them in the spotlight. Most will back down. Most will think you are LEO or someone with a firearm.

Most will not escalate the situation. And most importantly it's very handy in the dark :bigsmile:

But the main reason is that most situations happen in the low light. As these situations are the biggest advantage to the BG. Be at home in the middle of the night or just out late after work... Of course in the middle of the day... you most likely won't need a light. But when you do... YOU DO.

So if you carry. May I say you might consider doing some research on a good flashlight for your needs.
:thumbsup2:

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent post. I carry a flashlight with me at all times, and it's first click is high (about 160 lumens with a fresh battery) second click is a very disorienting strobe, but I've never tried to hold it while shooting, or use it for target aquisition in a low-light scenario.

Good stuff. :thumbsup2:

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is what shooting in the dark with a flash light looks like.

Go to the 3:06 mark, I can't link directly to that point.

This was at the California IDPA State Championship in 2013.

https://www.RisingSunTraining.com
https://www.facebook.com/RisingSunTraining
https://www.instagram.com/rising_sun_training/
"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
So, my background.

I have done a few low light shoots (both indoor and outdoor). When I say "done" have participated and conducted low light shoots.

A few lessons learned from folks and flashlights.

1) A self defense light is good for self defense... most times
2) Most people never shoot with a flashlight
3) Most people never shoot in low light conditions
4) Most people have no idea what to do with a flashlight nor about low light shootings

1- A good defense light is a mixture of EDC and specs of the light. Most modern lights are greater than 200 lumens... Key is that it's simple to use one hand. Some are not. Some require two hands (twist cap) or bulking for EDC. I mean if you can carry a 3 Cell D battery operated flashlight... you are extra special.

An EDC light one that you carry everyday is a compromise... just like the firearm you select to carry. For size, ease of use, performance.

one feature that I always look for now... first click is HIGH! Most lights have multi multi functions... but the first on is HIGH for a self defense light.

2- Next time you go to a shooting range. Use your light and shoot. Just hold it while you fire. Then start aiming the beam while shooting. One handed, both hands. Find out what works for you.

Quote:
6 Flashlight Shooting Techniques You Must Know

http://www.usacarry.com/6-flashlight-sh ... must-know/

3- Most folks don't have access to an indoor range to lower the lights or outdoor ranges where you can shoot when it's dark outside.
Even if you do go to an outdoor setting and go shooting... it's very difficult to find a location. Safety is another issue.

But one piece I strongly recommend is get night sights. Yes, I harp on flashlights but having a built in ability to align your firearm is key. People that have never shot in low light conditions may think night sights are a waste... but again... remember who you are listening too (someone that hasn't really experienced low light shooting). They read on this forum or another from someone again that doesn't have a great deal of experience in low light shooting...

4- So you can look at the link above about the 6 positions, etc, etc but if you never practice... even if you are a good shot... believe me. Your shooting ability in low light isn't the same like it is during daylight. You lose all point of reference to your firearm... and losing those sights... on a pistol... doesn't take much to not be able to hit a 6' target at 20 feet.

Again, if you listen to those that have never fired in the dark with plain old iron sights and they tell you they can shoot just as well... Please remember who and what you are listening to (someone that has no experience shooting in low light).

Why do I focus so much on low light and having a flashlight.

Well, a flashlight is an additional tool - one that can be used for non lethal uses.
Shine a light on a dumb ass and you put them in the spotlight. Most will back down. Most will think you are LEO or someone with a firearm.

Most will not escalate the situation. And most importantly it's very handy in the dark :bigsmile:

But the main reason is that most situations happen in the low light. As these situations are the biggest advantage to the BG. Be at home in the middle of the night or just out late after work... Of course in the middle of the day... you most likely won't need a light. But when you do... YOU DO.

So if you carry. May I say you might consider doing some research on a good flashlight for your needs.
:thumbsup2:

Do you have any recommended low light classes in the South end?

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@dmonwai

Are you using a left side grip on the light?
Have you tried a crossed wrist grip? (FBI style?)

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

H2obouget wrote:
@dmonwai

Are you using a left side grip on the light?
Have you tried a crossed wrist grip? (FBI style?)

Yes, I was using a left side grip with the light. I have tried just about all the different styles of holding the light. I have tried them in classes at the Firearms Academy of Seattle and at Matches.

I used that grip because I could still use a two hand grip on the gun and that allowed me to get more accurate and faster follow up shots. In that specific situation it worked well for me ( I zeroed all the targets in the dark) but if it was a large light or if I had started with a different grip on the light I might have used a different grip.

https://www.RisingSunTraining.com
https://www.facebook.com/RisingSunTraining
https://www.instagram.com/rising_sun_training/
"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For flashlight techniques also consider a cheek index, holding your flashlight in a fist with your knuckles on your cheek bone. Its a very effective way to get light on your target and on your sights.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi joao01,
I can recommend Firearms Academy of Seattle in Onalaska:
http://firearmsacademy.com/index.php

Most of their handgun classes incorporate low-light training in a dedicated low-light shoot room. I believe they also have a Special Interest Seminar for Low-Light Shooting (accessible to graduates of their 2-day Defensive Handgun course).

Dave

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]