Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Men, you have it good in the concealed carry world. 

I've been carrying for about two weeks now, mostly at home, but on Thursday my license arrived. It hasn't been an issue, clothing-wise, because it's been sweatshirt weather. Today I went clothing shopping for some spring tops that I can wear while concealing. There is virtually NOTHING. Unless I want to, A- dress like a man, B- dress like I'm fat, or C- look like I'm pregnant, I am pretty SOL.

I'm going through all the options in my head. Downsize my gun? Nope. Don't carry in the summer? Nope. Dress in sweatshirts in spite of the heat? Nope. Dress in an unflattering manner? Maybe, although I don't like that option. Or... open carry? Maybe. I never thought I would say that last one, but today's shopping trip got me thinking.

Any thoughts? Anyone have wives or girlfriends who successfully conceal carry with a medium size gun (mine is a Glock 19) and are still able to dress attractively? Or... should I bite the bullet (pun intended) and be an OC'er, at least for the summer months?

Let me say that my personality is super non-confrontational. I don't relish the idea of having to verbally defend myself from every idiot who wants to comment. I am also a person who really does not like drawing attention to myself, so I don't relish the idea of people looking at me, either. Fill me in on your OCing experiences (your own or others'). Also, as a woman, do you think I would get more or less negative attention (or attention at all, for that matter) than a guy would?

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:11 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

For concealed carry, from what I've heard you're right . . . it's tougher for women.

The ladies here have provided some good input in the past. Glockgirl and mislabeled come to mind; both have shared how they carry.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a lady with a Youtube channel who covers pretty thoroughly the options for women's concealed carry.

I believe it's called faliaphotography.....at any rate, just search Youtube or Google for Falia guns and you'll find her.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recommend Fate of Destinee.

Here is her channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC87qNR ... eNlI55SdyQ

Stuff to think about in this area (for men and women):

Heard about her from Hickok45 (who I recommend for pure fun)

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Last edited by Pablo on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
There is a lady with a Youtube channel who covers pretty thoroughly the options for women's concealed carry.

I believe it's called faliaphotography.....at any rate, just search Youtube or Google for Falia guns and you'll find her.

+ 1

She does an outstanding job going through her various guns and holsters for every different type of outfit she wears. Ultimately, you're probably going have to buy more than one gun. I know a lot of guys who have to do the some thing.

EDIT: Here are her foundational videos:

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
dan360 wrote:

+ 1

She does an outstanding job going through her various guns and holsters for every different type of outfit she wears. Ultimately, you're probably going have to buy more than one gun. I know a lot of guys who have to do the some thing.

THIS^^ :yes:
I use three.
OC = Glock 23 Gen 2, or Rock Island Armory 1911 GI model
Standard CC = Sig Sauer P250 subcompact - 9mm
Deep CC = S&W model 10 Chief's airweight special - 38 Special

Check out those vids that others recommended. There are options for you.

:wagwoot:

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for your replies, guys. I got about halfway through the faliaphotography concealed carry youtube video so far, and I think I am probably going to need to consider alternate holsters, and alternate carry styles. I really like IWB appendix carry, but maybe small of back carry would work better with certain shirts.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just a suggestion, you might look into another gun and see if it suits you too. here some links what others carried and how.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19728&hilit=woman+conceal+carry

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10075&hilit=woman+conceal+carry

Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
Thanks for your replies, guys. I got about halfway through the faliaphotography concealed carry youtube video so far, and I think I am probably going to need to consider alternate holsters, and alternate carry styles. I really like IWB appendix carry, but maybe small of back carry would work better with certain shirts.

No problem. IWB appendix is pretty versatile...I highly recommend it. :thumbsup2:

Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even guys often have a summer carry gun and a winter carry gun. I would look at a 380 pistol or a small j frame revolver. If the gun is comfortable it means you will carry it more often. Either that or look at possibly switching your glock 19 for a glock 26. They both can use the glock 19 mags. If you end up going with a 380 you aren't missing a whole lot if you get a full power 380 buffalo bore load.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Were you aware that Washington is an open carry state? So if you just can't find that perfect outfit to conceal it dah-link, just open carry and flaunt what you got. :bigsmile:

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ArmedBear wrote:
Were you aware that Washington is an open carry state? So if you just can't find that perfect outfit to conceal it dah-link, just open carry and flaunt what you got. :bigsmile:

She is aware of OC'ing.....re-read her opening post. :wink05:
I get her trepidation with OC carry as well. I have no interest in advertising that I'm carrying, no interest in any confrontations over it, or even any conversations about it.
Each to their own, it's just not for me in most situations.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to WGO! Sadly, this is what happens when you first get into the world of guns, especially into the CC/OC world. Its not as simple as buying any ol gun and expecting a magic holster. Usually you have to dress to carry. For women, its even harder. The best answer is buy a better gun that suits the way you're comfy carrying. Obviously thats not the easiest, nor cheapest method. All you're really going to be able to do now, is research how women carry the G19. Otherwise, find out how women specifically carry, and buy guns accordingly. This is a problem many of us run into jumping into buying guns without doing enough research or renting before buying. Nothing wrong with a G19, just not the most lady friendly for carry. Good luck, let us know what works for you.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:17 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Any interest in ankle carry with a small revolver or single stack auto?

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I OC a 1911, and most people have the situational awareness of a blind ostrich with its head in the sand. In more than five years I have yet to get a negative reaction.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next